Show us your desk!

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mark E Rhodes, Jul 11, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

sorry this was a double post , HMMMM

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  2. skypilot

skypilot TDPRI Member

3. skypilot

skypilot TDPRI Member

Yeah but what does yr music sound like????

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Paris. I'm probably going to do two layers of thinner sanded AC ply for the desk surface to get to a roughly 3/4" thick top as two of those 4x8 sheets are actually cheaper than a single sheet of 3/4" BC ply and will have a nicer top. I hadn't thought of using ply for the sides though. May have to cost that out versus 1x4 and 1x10 lumber.

24 track likes this.
  5. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Man, this is a great thread!

24 track likes this.
  6. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

Is that a used condom wrapper I see next to that used Kleenex?

No offense meant, but your desk would benefit from some tidying up. I agree, it is too small. From what I can see in the cropped picture, I think you should have plenty of room to install a larger desk.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

24 track likes this.
  9. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

I don't meant to be critical, as I also have some old IKEA furniture that I bought a long time ago, before I knew better. I am simply posting this here to raise awareness.

IKEA was founded by Ingvar Kamprad, who was an old ****, with deep ties. Part of every dollar everyone of us ever spent at IKEA went into his coffers.

As if that were not enough, IKEA is also responsible for illegally cutting down virgin forest in Romania. Turning healthy trees into particle board, which would normally be made from recycled saw dust. Their philosophy is to make "cheap" furniture that falls apart, so they can sell use new cheap furniture at a later time.

There's more... they've also built furniture that was so unsafe that it killed a number of innocent children, after furniture collapsed. All those particle board joints just don't hold weight. Bookshelves, for example, should never be built from particle board. Particle board is a material that will bend, then snap.

Their particle board is also laced with formaldehyde. So, when you place a lot of their furniture in your bedroom, you are breathing that stuff all night.

Anyway, I have not set foot in IKEA in quite a few years now. Plenty of other choices.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

We now live in our son's apartment, and our stuff is just crammed everywhere ( but I know where everything is)
    So my real desk is the easy chair I'm always in, and my phone, or the seat in my Altima, and my phone.

But here is my desktop desk ( used on occasion) with acoustic guitar ( Blueridge today) 2' away.

Look closely you should see a '66 Corvette, '63 Aston Martin, and '70 Plymouth 'Cuda! ( I have growing collection)

* need to dust, I know!

20210713_094415.jpg

24 track and Mark E Rhodes like this.
  11. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

No, it is not a used condom wrapper.
    Yes, the desk would benefit from some tidying up.
    I'm considering this, the RAB LS840 studio desk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 track likes this.
  12. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Nice setup and room! Also great to see another desk with Hot Wheels on it...

24 track and Mark E Rhodes like this.
  13. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

Pretty good, I think. Here's a song I wrote two weeks ago.

The cramped quarters make recording cumbersome and I put it off sometimes. (Or just capture guitar and vocals with an iPhone.) I also would prefer being centered between the monitors when mixing rather than having them both to my right, but that's the best I can manage in the space I have.

24 track likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m retired. My wife is still working, claiming absolute control of the second floor office. This is where I work when I need to escape the cacaphony of the dogs barking.
    1FF983D1-6859-4387-A83B-22A2E5768779.jpeg

15. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah a total mess! But I get a lot of practicing done here so it serves its purpose. 07FA5380-8930-4B73-8B2B-D56D4F34B1A5.jpeg

Mark E Rhodes and 24 track like this.
  16. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

My only desk is mostly for tying trout flies - and a bit of guitar playing. The only room that I have to myself is too tiny to be a man cave so I call it a toy box. the other end of this Room contains about half of my guitar collection and my main amps, more sporting goods, guns, a sound system and my vinyl collection. It's pretty crammed!

[​IMG]

hnryclay, moosie, greenhornet and 2 others like this.
  17. 24 track

No, Im too shy to be in pictures! LOL ( yeah right):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I like to see how different people solve the same problem , some really creative solutions. i also like to design and build my own studio furnature .

this is a proto type rack i built still a little rough but I wanted to see the concept. if I made it 3 rack rails high on eack level , it could be for euro rack synths , 4 rack rails high studio gear , 5 rack rails high a moog sytems 55 synths, lol

this one is 4 rails high as a test

P1011643.JPG

Mouth, nedorama and gitlvr like this.
  18. 24 track

Wow you have a whole Office , too cool (I use the same dyson )

Mark E Rhodes and JL_LI like this.
  19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

This is my recording/practice space. It is also used as a place to store hand tools, as I enoy working wood with them.
    DSCF3200.JPG
    Toshiba laptop, Scarlett 18i/6 interface, Roland XP 80 for piano/synth sounds. For audio playback I'm running through a Carvin PA620 head into Squier 10" PA speakers.This room is 10'x10'; no amount of acoustic treatment could actually make this a proper mix environment. I mix on 'phones and listen back on various set ups to get my mix as right as I can.
    Desk is a computer desk.
    DSCF3203.JPG
    Amp is a modern Bandit mic'd with an old Shure 545SD Unidyne III. Amp on the bottom is a Peavey KB300 keyboard amp, which I sometimes run bass through when jamming on it. Bass is recorded direct, always. DSCF3204.JPG
    Guitars and basses currently in use.
    DSCF3205.JPG
    Pedalboard. I prefer simple.
    DSCF3201.JPG
    To the left was where the closet used to be, as this is the middle room in a trailer. I removed the sliding doors and built a workbench into that space.
    This is where I work on/repair/setup my instruments. Like many here I build my own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.