Show us your abused/player guitars!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Fretting out, Sep 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

1964FenderJazzBass.jpg
    BackWearonJazzBass.jpg
    1964 Jazz Bass

hellopike, javiersson, Blazer and 6 others like this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

For the guy who liked neck wear.....
    edit: @Fretting out

Mid 60's Guild

IMG_20200912_224607050 (1).jpg

IMG_20200912_224813815.jpg

IMG_20200912_224822037.jpg

IMG_20200912_224921253.jpg

3. widefault

widefault TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

1975 Gibson SG, bought from a pawn shop for $350 in 2017. T-Top in the bridge, Super Distortion in the neck, extra holes in the body by the volume knobs, refretted, replaced bridge, and a repaired heel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it plays like a dream.

hellopike, javiersson, oafyuf and 7 others like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

ThermionicScott and glenlivet like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

My first guitar.

Played the heck out of it - fretboard is very worn.

[​IMG]

And then this happened....

[​IMG]

Neck joint had slowly loosened over the years, until I was able to pull it apart. Going to attempt a repair one of these days. It was a pretty good player before the neck became unstable. Also 2 small screw holes in the top from when I "electrified" it.

6. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

I get it...:cool:

Even though it looks like you could get splinters off it.....it "feels" great. You don't even notice all the little bumps/dings.
    If I play it in really humid weather, it sometimes gets a little sticky from the finish/paint wearing off.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200730_191531.jpg IMG_20200730_192023.jpg
    This is a 70s National hollow body I bought a few months ago. It had a damaged neck pocket, frets worn to near zero, one dead pickup, no bridge, wonky tuners and no trem spring. I like a challenge. The original pickups were cheap singles masquerading as mini humbuckers. I saved them in case I open a guitar museum some day.

I put in some DiMazio PAF-sounding minis, repaired and reshaped the neck pocket, put Grover Super Rotomatic tuners, and got a Gretsch style compensated bridge (I recently swapped it out for an adjustable roller bridge, not pictured). I also replaced the frets and nut, cleaned the slide pots, replaced the slide switch and of course put in a Switchcraft jack. I also added a pickup selector switch (not pictured) and coil split/series parallel switching. Finally, I added a mahogany bridge block underneath the top to increase the sustain. Now I can't stop playing it. Killer blues tones. I took it to my weekly jam last week, and the guys loved it

Attached Files:

oafyuf, Loco, Blazer and 5 others like this.
  8. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

There was. The repair shop that did the frets shot some fresh lacquer on the neck. What I picked it up the neck was looking brand new - didn't expect that.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Fretting out

I need a refret on my paisley strat but it’s almost impossible to find someone that will refret it without refinishing the board

10. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

To be honest, I am cheap, and I tend to buy old and hard used instruments and then I make them better.

gregulator450 and Fretting out like this.
  11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

then-now.png

The body, neck, bridge and some of the electrics are original. It's 38 years have not been easy on it.

StrangerNY, Blazer and Fretting out like this.
  13. Fretting out

Are those jumbo frets? They look large, the way I like them

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I think YES

Is the second refret of that guitar and always say... BIG please... next refret will be the last (I hope), I will go steel this time... gimme a year or so.

15. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Great thread!

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

H'mm... when it comes to me having a guitar that I trashed within inches of its life and it always came back for more...

DSC02402.JPG
    Yes, I DO own a guitar like that and she's aptly named "The Veteran"

She started out a 1989 Squier MiK model, when I bought her new at my 15'th birthday back in 1991, she was the only Red model they had in the store. Apart from her body, NOTHING of her stock hardware remains. Throughout the years she's had five necks, three bridges and an uncountable amount of pickup swaps.

So has it been worth it? Well I finally have her the way I always wanted. But if I could go back in time and stop myself from doing everything I did to her, I would.

So DOES she have any scars from everything I did? Oh yeah...
    DSC02407.JPG
    This is the very first ding she suffered, I tried to fill it up with white two component epoxy and red scale model paint, it was the wrong shade of red and everybody saw it straight away. Note also that she still has the outline of her original pickguard which was wider than the subsequent guards she had since.

DSC02403.JPG
    The lower horn also has an early ding and just underneath that a round indentation from where I smashed a coke can with my guitar (Teenagers...) The mini switch is a very practical series-parallel switch and the bridge pickup is a DiMarzio FS-1, the other two pickups came from a Fender Japan strat and have been in there for the better part of 15 years.

DSC02405.JPG
    DSC02408.JPG
    The front and back of the headstock showing a crack that went from the low E-tuner all the way across to the third fret. This neck had people declaring me crazy for repairing it but unless you know it's there, you wouldn't be able to see it. That neck just had THAT feel. Note also that the Tuners say "Aria Pro 2" they were new old stock and fit the holes without me having to re-drill to fit them.

DSC02411.JPG
    Silent reminders of my attempts to improve the balance when strapped on. I failed to take a picture but the lower bout also has a couple of filled holes where the strap button ripped out.
    DSC02404.JPG
    Which also happened a couple of times on the top horn. I eventually drilled out the top horn and drove a dowel in there to keep the strap button solid.
    DSC02406.JPG
    The silver residue around the bridge is a silent reminder of the fact that I once gave the body a silver racing stripe. The pockmark holes around the output jack is where a Roland GK-2 Hex Pickup sat.

DSC02409.JPG
    The back of the guitar shows another very early ding and my attempts to repair it

And very personal, my first girlfriend and I scratched our initials in the back of the guitar, 26 years after the fact, they're still there.
    DSC02410.JPG

17. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

1954 Harmony H44 Stratotone
    harmony.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Jake Nelson and Fretting out like this.
  18. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Blazer, netgear69, oafyuf and 6 others like this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have nothing to show. I do not, I am proud to say, abuse my equipment.

20. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

hard to see from most of the pics but these are all a bit abused but they all sound really nice :)

pick guard on this one was broken but I have a replacement on it now & the back is pretty bit beat up
    BLS quilt.jpg

this one has a lot of dings all over but it's my favorite LP
    CCG.jpg

this one has been fairly beat up all over but it has some very special pickups in it :D
    000_7918.JPG

Frisco 57 and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.