1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Show of Hands for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

That's the thing. If you value your privacy, there are plenty of strings indeed.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

The privacy options let you opt out of pretty much everything and you don't have to use a Microsoft account (local accounts are an option).

If you use E-mail from any of the major providers (Yahoo!, Gmail, AOL, etc.) you are exposed to far greater invasions of privacy. If you use google to search, you are nothing more than a marketing tool with absolutely no expectation of privacy whatsoever.

The privacy thing with Win10 is a straw man, in my opinion. YMMV.

KevinB likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The privacy options let you think you can opt out of pretty much everything.

There, fixed that for you.

4. soulgeezer

If you're online, you have no privacy. Period.

There, fixed that for you! ;) :lol:

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using it on a new-ish Dell laptop with a touch screen for about a year. I'm using the Insider builds and have had no problems at all.

I also use older, obsolete Windows copies on another laptop and a desktop, Ubuntu on an older laptop and iOS on an Apple iPad. My personal favourite is Win 10.

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'm getting conflicting messages about what and how much data is being collected via Windows 10.

On the one hand, yes, there was a major panic last year about Cortana, personalized advertising, sharing usage data until many sources published articles on how you can adjust your privacy settings to avoid all of that. I also skimmed through this article by someone attempting traffic analysis on a Windows 10 system, explaining how almost none of it is "spying" in the "OH MY GOD THEY ARE SPYING ON ME!" sense (i.e. according to the author it is either DNS lookup stuff or ip4-ip6 conversion stuff... not sure specifically what that entails on a traffic level.) Additionally, people are saying nobody can opt-out of reporting app crash data (with anonymous device ID included). That doesn't seem too prying though, since most apps/software sends crash reports (even though I often opt-out of this.) It appears - from my casual research anyway - that the sort of "Facebook news feed" "user experience" type of spying can be turned off in settings. Am I right?

On the other hand, The French National Data Protection Commission (CNIL) issued a formal notice against Microsoft on Wednesday, ordering that the company "stop collecting excessive data and tracking browsing by users without their consent".

Other articles seem to indicate that it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other:
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...etween-windows-10-telemetry-and-snooping.html
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-telemetry-secrets/

So I dunno. Is my mechanic spying on me when he checks the mileage on my car during an oil change? What about when he rifles through my glove box? What about if I get a robocall from some company trying to sell me a warranty since I ended up on their list when my mechanic sold my phone number to them?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I may have illusions, you seem to have delusions. I have plenty of privacy online. You know as much about me as Microsoft or anybody else does. :p

8. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

I just bought a Dell laptop with Windows 10 on it and have no complaints...so far.

9. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Holic

I love Win10.

10. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

Gonna have to backup everything first and then do it.

11. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have it running on 6 different computers and haven't had any problems. I skipped Windows 8 altogether. Windows 10 is what 8 should have been in the first place. I disabled Cortana and most of the privacy infringing features. It's easy to do during or after the install. Just Google "Windows 10 privacy" for instructions. I suspect that many people who dislike the upgrade to Windows 10 are either using the 32 bit version, or trying to run it without enough memory or CPU power to take full advantage.

12. soulgeezer

Assuming you have privacy online is a very fast road to a very bad place.

This very Web site employs google ad services and google analytics. If you're logged into a Gmail account while surfing here, everything is being recorded. Even if you're not, cookies are being set that will track your activity until you clear out the cache.

Privacy online isn't even an illusion. It simply doesn't exist. That's the nature of the Internet and the compromise we make when we choose to use it... :cool:

13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Windows 10 is fine. Not bad, not great, it just works for what it is.

I have three Windows 10 systems; my daughter's laptop, my home desktop (an old Pentium IV!), and my wife's laptop. My wife has a Dell with an AMD A10 with 12 GB of memroy that used to have Windows 8.1 on it. It is butt ugly dog slow since the Windows 10 upgrade, and I have not found the reason yet. The internet seems to think it needs a complete Windows 10 fresh install - not an upgraade. I just don't want to shell out another $125 to Microsoft so her decent machine will run like it should.

My laptop is Ubuntu 16.04. It screams, but I have a 6th gen i7 with 8 GB of memory, so it should. I do Linux development on the side for Debian based clients, so this just makes sense for me. I used to have Mint, but switched back with the new laptop.

My son is still in High School - the school has gone to Chromebooks to save money and administration time, and all the student's work is done via Google docs, so we got him a fairly good Chromebook. Now that thing screams - power on to surfing in 7 seconds, wake to surfing to 5, and if you already use Chrome, it just works like a browser on any other system. If I needed a browsing only machine, this would be it.

SolidSteak likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

As a PC it works wonderfully well and has revitalized my own PC.
    Switch off ALL the spying nonsense at installation.
    As a music workstation, well, it's not free for me because my Roland midi keyboard controller doesn't work with it and nothing I've tried works so it is the cost of upgrading the other stuff that won't work when you install.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps you could partition the drive with a copy of 7 to keep those controllers working. Do you have enough space?

16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. Could do. Not using my keyboard at all at the moment so it's not bothering me much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.