Show me your single pickup telecasters

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by neilybob100, Oct 20, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I acquired my Nocaster sans the neck pickup. It is a ri, but the stock pickup in the bridge is nothing short of total wonder. I think of making it into a Tele, but I'd have to have some phenomenal neck pickup. I thought of installing an Arcane Gold coil in the neck. But the point is, if you go Esquire, make sure the bridge pickup is wunderkind. Mine has a 3d sound that would be hard to replicate. But don't put in some cheap 49,99 pickup do some research and drop some extra coin, you'll be happy. For instance, I'd start at an Antiquity and look at its competition or better; its ONE pickup.

2. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I've had a couple Esquires, one with a regular tele bridge and one with a 090 in the bridge. There is something unique and similar in the tone of these that doesn't exist in my other multi-pickup guitars. I think there's something to the magnetic pull theory. I'm not sure it's sustain. I think the strings are free to vibrate in a way that allows more overtones. Just a theory.

3. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The silver one is a Fender Celtic Esquire with a GFS Retrotron Brooklyn pickup. The blue one is a home brew pine body with a Fender Esquire neck and a Dimarzio Pre B-1 pickup.

Dukex, studio1087, Fiesta Red and 7 others like this.
  4. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Holic

..... cracked bandana.JPG

Dukex, studio1087, Fiesta Red and 7 others like this.
  6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's also just something cool and fun about making do with less (though Esquires often have some kind of surprise under the hood).

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Wow! That is stunning! I think I know what color scheme my next tele will be!

neilybob100 likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

upload_2019-10-21_16-44-51.jpeg

Posted this before, but since this is what the thread is about.... ;)

Dukex, studio1087, Fiesta Red and 3 others like this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I expect to have/built an Esquire LH... Like the one Steve Cropper played.

I don't even have a Tele for now - should I say for years... A shame... :oops:

A+!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Interesting!! What kind of surprises?? Man, I may be tempted now..

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Precisely for that reason: not having another pickup option. It forces me to seek tone variations elsewhere (picking technique, tone and volume knobs, etc.). I love simplicity.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IMG00342.jpg

Dukex, studio1087, Fiesta Red and 4 others like this.
  13. SixStringSlinger

Yup. Basically, if you see a pickup selector switch and only one pickup, you know that switch ain't selecting pickups ;)

There are different things you can do. Mine has a 3-way switch. The middle position is your standard volume-and-tone setup (though my tone control is a no-load, so extra option there). The "neck" position has an Eldred circuit on it, which is a capacitor wired to the switch itself that gives the guitar a slightly darker, somewhat lo-fi, kinda snarly tone. Sort of like a cocked wah, but not quite (cocked wah is, incidentally, another trick you can wire in). With the Eldred circuit in my guitar, only the volume control works. Finally, in the "bridge" position, the pickup is wired directly to the jack. No volume or tone controls. Instant go-for-broke solo tone.

So those are some options. There are others, like the aforementioned cocked wah tone (sometimes goes by "Arlo cocked wah"). I suppose with a 4-way switch and beyond you can do even more.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some folks call it a "Reverse Esquire", but that seems like calling a girl a reverse boy.

Another one, not mine, but from the Telecaster Love thread on the jazz guitar forum

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  15. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Here's mine. Built it a few years back.

IMG_2934.JPG

Dukex, studio1087, G-52 and 2 others like this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my Esquire-H. Separate coils controlled by a 4-way switch. Pickup lowered and screw poles raised so I can fake a neck with tone roll-off, Tele single bridge, LP humbucker, and even get some Strat-#2-Quack.

On other builds I found I liked the Arlo Cocked Wah circuit much better than the Eldren mod for a single coil Esquire.
    [​IMG]

You learn to use the volume and tone knobs and find out how much your tone changes by where you pick. My Esquire and Junior taught me a lot.

Magnetic pull is one of those myths. Sustain is controlled by how much string overhangs the nut and saddles that is available to stretch and then the friction on the nut and saddles dampens the notes (think of the reverse where a car with good shocks doesn't sustain bounding down the road). A guitar can have different sustain string to string due to headstock design. Strat E vs e and LP D-G vs E-e. The Hendrix reverse headstock gives more sustain on the high strings and less sustain on the low strings -- and which did he try to sustain the longest?

Here's my relic partscaster reverse headstock S-type H -"Esquire" lol. It plays surprisingly easy.

[​IMG]

Dukex and G-52 like this.
  17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Three tonal options available, but all with the basic attack and decay character of a bridge pickup.

Most tonal changes occur via switch, not via knob twirling.

If you play a Tele and use the bridge pickup and your tone knob only, 100 percent of the time, you should have an Esquire instead. You have more tonal options available via a quick switch flip, but without having to have the pickup sound like a neck pickup.

And outside the scope of the question, it looks cool, and historically was cheaper. Buying an Esquire instead of a Telecaster was like buying the lowest trim level of a mid-quality car model.

Originally, the base model Fender electric, the Esquire, was to have the bridge pickup only. The more deluxe version of the Esquire was to have both – but still be called the Esquire. This is in 1950.

But soon, Fender decided to go with two pickups being the only way they were offered. Along with this decision came the name change to Broadcaster, and a body wood change to ash, using a thicker wood blank (the thickness that we now think of as standard for a Fender).

Yet a few months later (early '51), they decided they would produce the single-pickup Esquire after all, and have both the Esquire and the Broadcaster in the lineup. "Broadcaster" eventually became "Telecaster," and Esquire stayed in production under that name until 1970.

In short, the dual pickup Fender electric with what we now think of as the "Telecaster" body shape has actually held three names, plus went through a brief period in which it didn't have a name: Esquire, Broadcaster, no name, Telecaster. The single pickup Fender electric with that body shape has always been called the Esquire, though.

I tend to think of the Esquire as the basic, bottom rung adult-level Fender guitar, and the Telecaster as the higher trim level of the same thing. The only thing lower on the totem pole are student models (Duo Sonic, Musicmaster, Mustang, etc.). If you know old cars, think of the Esquire as the Biscayne, and the Telecaster as the Bel Air.

18. SixStringSlinger

Had to wait till I got home to post mine:

I found this little thing on Craigslist for cheap. aI'd been jonesing for a Bigsby'd Tele, so I jumped on it.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

She needed some TLC and I already had a standard-appointed Tele, so I decided to do something different here. This would become an Esquire.

This is the result:

unnamed-8.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg

I upgraded the Bigsby string retainer and roll bar with Callaham parts. The controls are mounted on a Rutters 3/8"-over control plate. The pickup is a Cavalier Fat Lion. The electronics are regular Fender fare, with 250k for both pots (the tone control being a no-load). The switching is as follows:

Position 1: Straight to jack
    Position 2: Standard volume and tone
    Position 3: Volume control and Eldred circuit.

This guitar is a beast. The pickup sounds good and fat for a single coil but can still twang. The Eldred circuit is an interesting and useful sound, the standard controls provide a lot of variety and straight-to-jack position screams. The Bigsby is fantastic and the guitar stays in tune really well. The action is not as taut as my Tele but it's not too spongy, either. I defy anyone to strap this on and not feel like a badass.

And finally...

unnamed.jpg

...she cleans up nice, too.

19. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I don’t know if there’s anything to the “neck pickup magnetic pull” idea. But playing an Esquire is definitively a different experience than playing a Tele on the bridge pickup. An Esquire is more lively and more fun. It feels like a more direct connection between you and your sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clifton C likes this.
  20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.