1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Show me your amp !!

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheGoodGuy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

This is my favourite amp at the moment (I have posted this picture before)

1965 National Glenwood 90, made by Valco.

2x12 Jensen ceramic speakers, 35 Watts and runs off 2 x 6L6's and it is solid state rectified. There are 2 x 12ax7's, 3 x 6eu7's and a 6973 reverb driver. There are a number of features on this amp including Hammond long reverb & a thick swampy tremolo. It's 2 channels and both allow you to switch between bass, guitar and treble guitar settings. It would have been National's top of the line.

It sounds amazing. It has the signature Valco "bark". I guess because it's SS rectified, it has very little sag which gives it spank and punch. It can be a very bright sounding amp...I find myself on the neck pickup mostly when playing it.

Interesting fact about this amp;

The reverb was not working when I got it. A very good local tech repaired it, telling me that there was a metal washer where there should have been an insulator on the input for the reverb footswitch. This sent the signal straight to ground. The tech was certain that it had left the factory this way...the reverb hadn't worked for over 50 years. Once repaired, the reverb sounds great.

Attached Files:

2. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool story!

3. TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy TDPRI Member

Wow guys! I didn't expect to have this much fun on reading your posts, thanks for your participation here! Keep posting I'm so happy to see this

4. RunPickle

RunPickle TDPRI Member

Okay, here's one that kinda fun. My cabinet is actually an amp with the head disconnected... So my "cab" is a 1970 Kustom K50 that my grandpa used for accordion. When he died I got it, threw in a G12H anniversary and I used the hell out of it. It's a gorgeous sounding solid state. 25w with spring verb and trem/vib. After a while I decided to make the switch to tube and so instead of buy a tube combo or head/cab, I rigged it so I could plug the speaker from the Kustom into a different head. Lo and behold, I went to Sam Ash and they had an Ibanez TSA15H for $150! Not the best cosmetic condition, but it sounds awesome. 15w, clean all the way up(if you don't turn on the Tube Screamer channel), and a 5w/15w switch. So now I have a weird but very usable stack of sorts!

Attached Files:

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Here a few of mine that I have pic of.

A Blackfaced 69 Dual Showman Reverb with Dumble ODS mod and NOS RCA tubes

Metro amps Limited Edition GMP45 NOS tubes and Mustard caps ect.

Fender Cybertwin.

2 x 15 Carvin cab with 2 Altec 418-8H

4 x 12 Sound City cab with 4 x 12 JBL E120's

2 x 1 x 12 TS806 cabinets with 3 piece back and JBL E120's with Hemp cones

4 x 12 of 1972 G12M 25 Watt 75hz Pulsonic cones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mesa Boogie Mark V - Bubinga Wood

This amp has 3 channels, that represent each phase of the Mark series, and you can switch between 10, 45, or 90 watts, which allows you to get that natural overdriven crunch sound, as well as feedback at lower volumes. Overall, this amp has sparkling cleans and searing gain stages, so it is a very versatile amp. There is a built-in EQ, which is nice, as well as a really nice reverb and solo boost. You can read about this amp here at the MESA website http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark5/mark5.html This amp has endless possibilities for tone options, and because there are 3 channels, you can really set it up nice for all situations. The only downside is the weight, it is very heavy, but because it is made of Bubinga wood you get a nice warm resonating chamber...the thing is like a piece of furniture.
    IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg

7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have several, but this is my newest and favorite - a Muchxs 5E3.

Attached Files:

8. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Here's the little guy that actually gets the most playing time. This is my modded Epiphone Valve Junior, and he's a little 5 watt monster. I rarely take the little feller to gigs, but he gets nearly all of my time when I'm practicing at home. I did several of the Bitmo kit mods several years ago, and even added a standby switch right next to the power switch.

[​IMG]

9. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

This is the one I gig the most, but I really don't gig anywhere near as much as I should. It has just the right amount of volume for a 120 seat or so room without tearing peoples' heads off. It has a bit of that squishy feel that goes with tube rectification that just seems a little more forgiving than most modern amps. It's a '61 Ampeg Reverberocket with lots of new parts, but it still has the original transformers FAFIK.

Attached Files:

10. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

The two that get the most use are my '02 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201 and my '88 Carvin X-100b.

Attached Files:

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Well start another section on the other wall and fill it with Wards Airlines, Silvertones, gibson's, and such, we'll have no integration of the races on here. The pawnshop wall of fame so to speak.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

What kind of bottom shelf/salvage/organ pull alnico speaker is that he hooked you up with?
    For sure it's a one of a kind setup.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

This is very trailer trash proper, I highly approve. Rock on.

Now just get extra cab and use TSA line out to run Kustoms spring verb' in wet/dry with TSA and you'll get 5 stars.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Agreed, I have throughly enjoyed this thread immensely.

15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Some of my favorites.

The new-to-me '74 Deluxe Reverb is with my tech getting a checkup and will soon be getting a new grill.

Attached Files:

16. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

I don't gig so my Fender SCXD and VHT Spec. Ultra 6 provide me with more than I need.

[​IMG]

17. Racing

Racing Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here ya go for odd. That there is a -66 vintage Schaller KV-50 i´m currently bringing back to life. That last pic is of its magnetic disc based reverb. Very much like the fabled old Italian BInson units.
    ´N yes...these old warhorses are rather scarse..

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

That looks awesome, be sure to post something when you get her up and running.

19. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I have nothing fancy, but they all have their own thing going for them. most all of them have been modded in some way or another or at least had their tubes and speaker swapped. I'm mostly a bedroom player, when I'm not working on something.

My most played is my Vox Lil Night Train. It's been through a dozen or more tubes, a few different speakers and combinations and has the Bright Cap mod done on a switch. The final cab and speaker is the homemade Pine board/Birch plywood 110 cab with a Weber AlNiCo Blue Pup Speaker. It goes from a nice vintage-y Vox Chime (much Like my AC15C1's Top Boost Channel) to a nice crunchy rock tone.

[​IMG]

My main amp is the aforementioned AC15C1. Its had the tubes replaced, the speaker is a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog and the reverb tank was swapped out for a Mod tank. The output tubes are Genalex Gold Lion EL84s, very warm with very musical harmonics. The preamp and reverb driver are Tung Sol 12AX7s and the PI is a Jan Philips 12AT7. The Mod tank is a medium duration reverb tank, instead of the stock long duration tank. Much more reasonable reverb.

[​IMG]
    This picture is from the day I got it.

Up next is the Fender Champion 600 RI. I rewired the PCB to full 5F1 specs. The current speaker is a Weber AlNiCo Signature 8 on a baffle board I made from 1/4" birch plywood. Great for that Funk #49 type of sound with my Teles. I made the 2 X 10" cab from Pine 1" X 12" boards on the top, bottom and sides, while the baffle and back are 1/2" Birch Plywood. The speakers are Weber AlNiCo Signature 10 and 10S, for a 30 watt, 4Ω cab. This cab give the Champ a nice warm, thick rich tone while retaining the Tweed Crunch. I literally finished dressing the cab out in the Tolex and hardware yesterday.

[​IMG]

Last up is my Fender Greta and 110 cab. She is stock except for the NOS JAN Philips 12AT7 in the output and the Tung-Sol 12AU7 preamp. The stock speaker is what it is, a low wattage 4" speaker. If you want low volume practice with a quirky transistor radio type of tone then this speaker is it. I normally run it through the Weber X-Cab, with a WGS Veteran 10" speaker. This is the fourth speaker I've tried in it and looks like the one that will stay. The both the Weber Sig 10s have gone through it, the 10S being the favorite before the WGS. I was wonderful in there, but gave it a Tweed flavor, which I was already getting from the Champ. The Veteran gives it a little more of a BF Fender tone, with just a slight amount of grit to full on dirty.

[​IMG]

I also have an Orange Micro Terror. I've tried a few tubes with it, but I'm currently running the stock JJ ECC83S. I've gone through a couple of cabs and speaker combinations. Right now it runs with a WGS Reaper and a Retro 30. I'm currently working on a homemade PPC112 style cab, which will get a WGS Veteran 30.

[​IMG]

There are a couple of others not pictured, a Peavey VT Series Classic 212 and a Peavey Vypyr 30. The Classic 212 is for the rare occasion I need more power from the Greta, used as a tube preamp pedal, or with my ProCo Rat for hard rock to metal types of tones, which I don't do very often. The Vypyr 30 is another rarely used. Nothing wrong with it, just I've got most of the tones it has in my other amps. It's for sale.

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Mustang III - Jack of all trades and pretty much masters all:
    image-2495733528.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.