Shout To The Lord

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Dreadnut, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

So I was on this medical mission trip in Xocempich, Mexico several years ago; I was the team Cook and Musician. On Sunday morning, I was asked to play music at the local church there, this is a very small town in the Yucatan Peninsula, and a really small church.

I was sitting on my bunk that morning, playing "Shout To The Lord" on my Guild acoustic. Later I went to the church and started setting up. The pastor's daughter came in and said she would like to sing a song in the service and wondered if I could accompany her. I asked her what song, and she said "Shout To The Lord." Imagine that...

When I tell this story, I tell everyone "then believe it or not, I played the song flawlessly in Spanish!" That always gets a laugh. But I was just thinking about that, and without getting into a theological argument, I ascertained that music is kinda like speaking in tongues, because regardless of the nationality of the participants, they all hear it in their native language.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it!

2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

It's a classic worship song. I believe that the Lord enabled you to sing the song in Spanish.. glad you were led to do so.

3. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

That's actually supposed to be funny: "I played the song perfectly in Spanish." I didn't sing it in Spanish. I can play it in any language - Chinese, Polish, Swahili...the music is all the same.

4. nidgereedo

nidgereedo TDPRI Member

Haha love it...but yeah I tend to agree. Music is a universal language.

5. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Tele-Meister

I use the same joke when I play for our Spanish services.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.