Shout out to Reverend Guitars!

Pooch

TDPRI Member
My Reverend Pete Anderson Eastriders. I bought the black one first (killer deal) and was really impressed with everything about it. Great acoustic tone (semi-chambered Korina), great neck profile (10"-14" compound radius), pro frets, super-vintage sounding pups. Pro-quality guitars. Rock solid. Great gigging guitar. Then I saw the burst one for a great price. A Strat/Tele with a wiggle stick! Had to have it. All the usual Strat tones, plus an option to use just the bridge and neck OR, all 3 together! Wow!

Very fun guitars.

Rev_Tele_1.jpg

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I almost bought a used Reverend a while back. Great guitar, but just don't like a 2 point trem. If it had been a stoptail, I would reconsider.

Pooch

TDPRI Member
Give us your best assessment of how tele bridge pickups twang with the different bridge types.
Both guitars use the same bridge pickup. (Reverend Talnico. Alinco5, 43g wire wound to 7.5K). I don't know for sure if there's a plate on the bottom. They are definitely low output and bright, but I can't get them to go into "icepick" mode.

The one in the black guitar is mounted to the bridge plate like a typical tele. Very authentic classic sounding tele tone.

The one in the burst is mounted to the body. The same basic tone, but the highs are tamed slightly and the lows are "rounder". A "warmer" fersion of the black guitar, but not by a huge degree. Just enough that you can tell it's a different guitar.

Compared to other tele bridge pickups I've used:

Fender 2001 American Standard - The Talnco is simply better than the AS Standard. I think this has a lot to do with the lack of a plate on the bottom.
Fender Tex-Mex is hotter for sure, more of everything, but I can get it to icepick, and not always in a good way. (Again, not my favorite, but usable)
Fender CS Broadcaster is very similar to the Talnico, but maybe a bit more complex mids.
Fender Texas Special is much darker, and the lows and low mids are accentuated. That can be good if you are playing with some gain, like using a Tube Screamer into a Fender combo (hint, hint...)
Seymour Duncan Broadcaster - I consider this to be a good starting point for a Tele bridge pup. The Talnico is a tad brighter and has just a bit less midrange.
Seymour Duncan Antiquity - Pretty much sounds like the Fender CS Broadcaster.

So the Talnico is a good sounding, solid everyday pup. I can use either guitar to play just about anything. I have no inclination to change anything out on either guitar. Like Reverend says, they guitars are meant to be played, right out of the box. That has certainly been my experience.

Cheers!

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Great stuff. Me and my long time luthier both have been consistently surprised by Reverend guitars playability right out of the box. Started with a Charger, and now it includes a Six Gun and a Double Agent. The Six Gun motivated me to upgrade my 94 Strat to make it sound more like the Six Gun!

lancegould

TDPRI Member
Awesome. I seen Billy Corgan on Reverb playing one of his signature models and he said “it’s the type of guitar that makes you want to write music for it”. Of course, the man is full-on beast when it comes to playing the guitar. I was curious as to whether anyone with maybe a different playing style had played one and were just blown away or not? I mean seriously, if Billy picks up a guitar and plays it, to try to sell it to you, you’re buying it because “it’s the best guitar you’ve ever heard”, yet doesn’t sound quite so good in your hands you know. I live in the desert hundreds of miles away from any store that’s going to have a Reverend guitar in it, much less that one. They are $1,800+, so I would be hard-pressed to just buy one from the internet, blindly. But I like the silver one and the white ones. They’re chambered and have his signature pups in them, so I feel like they’re gonna be really nice guitars, but I would still like to hear two or three people say “they’re the best instruments they’ve ever owned”!

Pooch

TDPRI Member
Awesome. I seen Billy Corgan on Reverb playing one of his signature models and he said “it’s the type of guitar that makes you want to write music for it”. Of course, the man is full-on beast when it comes to playing the guitar. I was curious as to whether anyone with maybe a different playing style had played one and were just blown away or not? I mean seriously, if Billy picks up a guitar and plays it, to try to sell it to you, you’re buying it because “it’s the best guitar you’ve ever heard”, yet doesn’t sound quite so good in your hands you know. I live in the desert hundreds of miles away from any store that’s going to have a Reverend guitar in it, much less that one. They are $1,800+, so I would be hard-pressed to just buy one from the internet, blindly. But I like the silver one and the white ones. They’re chambered and have his signature pups in them, so I feel like they’re gonna be really nice guitars, but I would still like to hear two or three people say “they’re the best instruments they’ve ever owned”!
@lancegould You make a good point...

Just to be clear, I'm not a dealer, a sales rep or a guy trying to pawn off a couple of guitars. I'm just a guy that does his best to make great music 3-4 times a month.

I bought the black one online as a blem because it checked off all of these boxes:

1) NOT 7.25" radius
2) NOT more than 8 lbs.
3) NOT a Schecter...
4) Used
5) $1000 or less

This one checked off all of the boxes, got a great deal, and was impressed enough to buy the second one. Best instrument I've ever owned? No, but would ever take the best instrument I owned out of the house?....not unless it was the ONLY instrument I owned....

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
@lancegould You make a good point...

Just to be clear, I'm not a dealer, a sales rep or a guy trying to pawn off a couple of guitars. I'm just a guy that does his best to make great music 3-4 times a month.

I bought the black one online as a blem because it checked off all of these boxes:

1) NOT 7.25" radius
2) NOT more than 8 lbs.
3) NOT a Schecter...
4) Used
5) $1000 or less

This one checked off all of the boxes, got a great deal, and was impressed enough to buy the second one. Best instrument I've ever owned? No, but would ever take the best instrument I owned out of the house?....not unless it was the ONLY instrument I owned....
Why the no Schecter box? I have a PT and thought I'd like to get a Reverend Warhawk 390. Just curious, not looking to start a purse swinging match. Always saw Reverend and Schecter as great imports in my price range, with Reverend edging out Schecter in terms of the pickups offered in the import lines. I noticed Schecter is now offering more of their USA custom shop pickups in their $800+ import guitars and I assumed that was to keep up with Reverend.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I owned the east sider t for a while. It was really good in many ways, as the op says. I think I paid around 700 for it though, not sure what reverends cost 1800. I did sell it though, it wasn’t the nicest guitar I ever owned. I didn’t really like the tone in a full band setting for some reason, and my nut wasn’t perfect. I would still consider buying another reverend and I think they are good guitars.

WelhavenTW

Tele-Meister
Ok, I’m using this thread to show off my new guitar. The bassplayer in my band bought a Reverend, so I got curious. I traded my Noventa for it (a great guitar, but you know how it is).

It had a perfect set-up, and sounds great. I love it so far. The only con is maybe the finish. Brown is not very exciting, but it still looks good.
FA5444D1-6D42-4057-9C62-3D9C1F0333E9.jpeg

Last edited:

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Ok, I’m using this thread to show of my new guitar. The bassplayer in my band bought a Reverend, so I got curious. I traded my Noventa for it (a great guitar, but you know how it is).

It had a perfect set-up, and sounds great. I love it so far. The only con is maybe the finish. Brown is not very exciting, but it still looks good. View attachment 999700
Superb.

bonzo898

Tele-Meister
Reverends are legit. They live in that sweet spot of maximum, pro-level quality for price, right before the law of diminishing returns really kicks in. I have the Airwave which is the electric 12-string, and it’s awesome. At some point I will probably buy another Reverend.