1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should you have an open mind?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 19, 2020.

1. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

a rock feels no pain
    and an island never cries.

2. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Keep an open mind...

An open heart...

...and a strong constitution.

imo

(+, i've found having an open mind is a lot more fun.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  3. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

Interesting thread. Thanks, Toto’s Dad, I read all the posts, and now have discovered there are some guitar players who are reflective as well.

We never need accept the unacceptable, nor argue whether water is wet. And learning new stuff never ends, no matter how it happens (even the hard way). The value is in application. The pudding.

I have lifelong friends who I once believed were open-minded, smart, quasi-intellectuals. Now the same ones don’t listen, but wait for their opportunity to tell you you’re wrong.

I spend less time with them now. If that makes me not so open-minded, I’m good with that.

Peace. The beat goes on.

rand z, Torren61, Toto'sDad and 3 others like this.
  4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

No easy answer for this. Yes, but only to a point.

5. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Like an AC unit my mind has a filter, but the filter never gets changed. So, as I get older the filter gets dirtier and dirtier. The dirtier it gets the more clogged it becomes and less stuff filters through. ;)

Deeve and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    PSSC! Those were GREAT films. Learned from them and used them when I was teaching. Frames of Reference should be mandatory viewing for e EVERYBODY.

:)

Toast likes this.
  7. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Having an open mind doesn't mean agreeing with everyone, just a willingness to listen and disagree respectfully (when possible). Demanding others be "open-minded" while hewing to one's own dogma is a common bad-faith move of which there's no end in our current discourse.

I've been on the receiving end of this behavior a couple of times in the past few years. Each essentially involved cults, which prey on this false notion of 'open-mindedness' as a matter of practice. It's a balance... listen to others, recognize that your own views may be biased, but realize when things are not on the level.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Glad you liked it. They really are amazing films. Here's another one I enjoyed. Whenever I watch it, it reminds of the sensations I experience when I'm surfing in the ocean.

(All the PBS Space Time vids are great.)

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A truly open mind, which I define as the willingness to modify or change your view about something when provided with new verifiable data, is different from what seems to be most often meant by the term today. Generally, the modern usage usually means a lack of convictions.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You usually have some pretty good threads but this one is kinda weird, lol. So, you contend that ignorance is better than knowledge? That's what I'm reading into this. I have some beliefs that are somewhat set in my mind but if someone has clear evidence that something I believe in is incorrect, I don't want to hang onto a false belief.

For example, I thought Santa Claus was real. I remember one Xmas waking up to some cool presents and my brother and I were all like "Thank you Santa! Thank you!" (I was eight). I have since been presented with convincing evidence that changed my core belief in all of that. Why would I reject truth in favor of continuing to believe in something that is false?

I reject the original post with the .gif of someone just being able to walk by and toss things into my head as if it was a waste basket. Personally, I examine anything that could form the foundation of a new fundamental belief. If you don't verify what's being represented to you as truth, you could end up a follower in a cult of personality. We really don't need more of that.

halfdan and buster poser like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Annnnnnd the Iowonians said:

[​IMG]

12. Toto'sDad

There is a VERY small opening where once in a while something slips through. I try not to do that to excess though.

boneyguy likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Just asking for a friend. Isn't that a pretty closed minded statement?

14. Toto'sDad

Thank ya, thank ya very much. I'm closed minded, not very bright, and I approve of this message.

teletail and boneyguy like this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Wars that have left millions dead generally didn't get started by folks who were open minded. Or Quakers.

halfdan, Obsessed, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir! Much food for thought, this is more serious than I thought! I NEED TO TIGHTEN UP THE CRITERIA FOR MY NARROW MINDEDNESS.

boneyguy likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Well thank you LM. You have me described pretty much to a tee except for the not listening. When someone starts in on something I have no interest in, I tell them I'm late for an appointment. And I'm not saying you were wrong, just not completely informed.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  19. Toto'sDad

I'm just the least tiny bit open minded enough to know there ain't not one little thing you can do about any of that.

20. Toto'sDad

BTW, the Quakers started a war of sorts with those damned Quaker Oats. Quaker: Whatdayaeat for breakfast sport? Respondent: Ham and eggs, if I got any ham, and got any eggs. Quaker: You cannibalistic so and so, why don't you eat oats like my horse does?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.