1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should you have an open mind?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 19, 2020.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

If you don't have an open mind to listen to other views, then you reduce your ability to learn. You don't necessarily have to agree, but you can learn about other people's perspectives.

I think it is very important to keep on learning.

Edit: I just read @stxrus 's post and is very similar.

3. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The question is about what to do when you are confronted with a new fact or a new idea that doesn't fit with your established cognitive system. There are four possible accommodations:

1) Ignore the new information (This is the "Don't confuse me with the facts" position.)
    2) Minimal reconfiguration (Acknowledging the new information as an anomalous exception to the general principle.)
    3) Integration of the new idea into the conceptual system (This is learning and growth.)
    4) To actively seek new ideas and experiences because learning and growth are mind expanding and pleasant in themselves (The philosopher's position).

It is true that if you take path four, "there is no telling where you will end up." And it is also true that path one may produce happiness, at the expense of getting along with your fellow inmates. Paths two and three are probably the most sanguine for most of us. (I was tempted to say that path one involved watching a particular news network, but that would cause difficulties with TDPRI moderators. Ahem.)

So, there are degrees of open mindedness and Aristotle would say to take the middle way. Also, I stole much of this from Piaget.

Deeve, Lance Morgan, MLHull and 2 others like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m open minded, in the scientific sense. You may consider a theory to be “proven”, but the argument is never closed. A scientific opinion, or theory, is always subject to revision when new data or a better interpretation of old data comes along. My political, economic, and social opinions have evolved over time, even those that at one time, I considered fixed. Scientifically, I see quantum mechanics and relativity as proven but incomplete. I’m open to well thought out theories beyond the standard model. This to me, defines open mindedness. Being open minded doesn’t make one subject to sway by unfounded and ill conceived opinions of others.

loopfinding and Obsessed like this.
  5. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Imo there are very few, if any, truly open minded people. In fact, I work at a university full of people who likely THINK they’re open minded, who are some of the most closed minded people I’ve ever met. On the same note, I’ve found that the number of college degrees one has is oppositely correlated to how intelligent they actually are. Intelligent in the narrow scope of their focus of course, but most lack any kind of street sense whatsoever and most phDs I’ve met would be unprepared to fully function outside of an institutional setting.

6. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Hey don't try to confuse me with facts, my mind's made up!;)

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that falls into @guitarsophist 's category #1. Just sayin'

drlucky likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m open minded.

That doesn’t mean that I have to accept every idea that comes along, and that when I reject certain ideas, philosophies or beliefs that I am close-minded.

It also doesn’t mean that I’m close-minded if (after long, serious introspection and research into a particular subject), that I stick to certain beliefs and ideas.

I will be glad to allow you your beliefs and ideas; I will listen to your reasons for holding them dear...but some ideas and beliefs do not require further inspection on my part...I’ve found my truth.

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

No it isn't. You're wrong.
    I think it's good to be open to having your mind changed...

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I exorcise my compassionate and tolerant view by saying, excuse me, I've got to be going now. :D

11. Toto'sDad

swervinbob likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I feel sorry for people like you. You'll never grow and never learn anything new. That's really sad.

halfdan, Obsessed, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

On a philosophical level, yeah sure, on a practical level, probably not so much.

14. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

Some people don't deal well with cognitive dissonance. Many are so weak in their reasoning skills, they feel threatened by any opposing view.

halfdan, Deeve, Obsessed and 5 others like this.
  15. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I'm open minded; that's how you verify what you know is true. If you aren't open to challenge or alternate view points what you know might was well be fiction.

16. Toto'sDad

That's profound! I'm actually pretty happy with the whole thing just the way it is. I don't want to grow, it's hard enough finding double x tee shirts as it is! :D

17. Toto'sDad

You know at this point in life, chances are if I don't already know something, I'm not interested anyway! :lol::lol:

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think I understand how you view your mind.

My view of the mind is that it is an elaborate machine, and it works like a muscle... it does work. It reasons and remembers and works through options. Other points of view present the use of different tools and methods and perceptions which our minds can embrace and store and 'put the muscle to work' to examine how and if the new information is useful.... I have a good set of tools in my garage, but I am still always looking to add to the collection to help me work more effectively and efficiently. I know how to use the tools I have, but, I can still improve and there may be even better ways to do things. I'm not so arrogant as to think I have cornered the market on ideas, thoughts or techniques to solve problems.

Like all muscles, if you don't exercise them, they atrophy. You play golf for fun, but also for exercise and to keep physically as sharp as possible. It stands to reason you would do the same with your mind. The only way to do that is to challenge it the way a difficult course will challenge your golf skills.

The life of the mind is an option and one I always say yes to.

Obsessed, Lance Morgan and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

The mind is a funny thing. I'm not sure it's ever as open to change as we all might like to think it is. Google "belief perseverance" and read up on the subject. We humans are difficult beings.

20. Toto'sDad

You have the golf part right, but I think my mind is pretty much like a pumpkin filled with sawdust. It would be nice if you could just drop it off and have it tuned up, and when you got it back it would just be full of ideas. I don't just want any old ideas though, I want GOOD ONES!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.