1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should you have an open mind?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The problem as I see it, is that being open minded, you essentially lose control of what people come by and toss into it like an open refuse container. That's why I have only two response options available for those who wish to impact me with their ideas/ideals: Narrow minded, and closed minded. It is so refreshing having your very own life's philosophy; Ergo, if someone is going to have to feel bad, I'd just as soon it be anyone else but me. Ahhhhh.

[​IMG]

1955, stepvan, El Tele Lobo and 11 others like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"I don't think that word means what you think it means." :D

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

You can have a discussion with an open minded person but it’s impossible to argue with a closed minded person

Just my observation. But, I could be correct

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Only if the surgery really really calls for it and then I would be open to a second opinion.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m grateful I have a mind, at all!
    It was very open in my youth, and certain philosophies that I was exposed to still ring true.
    Others have been discarded.
    The religion I as raised in shaped me, but I rejected it in my early teens.
    I don’t deny I was shaped by it, but I replaced it with a different fundamental philosophy.
    I also learned many things the hard way.
    Making the same mistake countless times, until I finally accepted that the result never changed.
    Oh.
    Wishful thinking is a colossal waste of time.
    Oh.
    I’m still optimistic, but not trusting.
    Life is a precious gift, but it took me 50 years to figure that out.
    What’s left?
    The best life I can live, for me.
    I have no agendas, dreams or goals to pursue anymore.
    I do feel liberated.
    I either “figured it out”, or I’m an idiot who wasted his life.
    Either way, I accept it.

7. Toto'sDad

I can almost guarantee you that when you do come to the end, you will not be any deader whichever path you have chosen. We have no way of checking that of course. Unless, at the dead center. Hey Joe, this guy he's dead, but wasted his life what you wanna do with him? Uh, well he's dead so, ah, well, hmm. Damnit Andy, why do you always do this just before lunch?

Flakey, AlbertaGriff, kLyon and 4 others like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"nothin's gonna change my worrrrrlllllld......nothins gonna change my worrrllllld..."

9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Why indulge these oversimplifications? The whole nature of the human brain creates all sorts of processing -- it's not like a trashcan open to everything. Ditto with the ways our eyes work, etc. The question is to what extent do we take notice of and consider various things that come our way, and, perhaps, the extent to which we will even notice, let alone choose to notice, things that are unusual from our perspective... like that homeless person right over there.

10. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

I see no reason to start now. I’m very close minded about this thread.

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

It has been my experience that the ONLY thing you can do is argue with someone with a closed mind.

13. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I had an open mind. My brain spilled out.

rghill and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm open minded. Sort of.

Sometimes rubbish is rubbish.

Sometimes you can identify a jackass at a distance.

Sometimes you don't have to make the same mistake twice to prove it was a mistake the first time.

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

The word/idea/mindset of 'maybe' is my friend. Open minded, IMO, doesn't mean to me what you've described TD...it means I'm open to consider ideas that may seem foreign or unfamiliar to me. If something is just plain stupid or wrong then 'maybe' means I'm not shutting someone's efforts to convince me down which can often, IME, prevent many discussions from developing into an argument....and I can walk away feeling emotionally 'clean'. Of course it depends on the context...there are many times when I won't be passive and will actually challenge something that isn't accurate. I decide in the moment whether to invest further energy or not. If I'm actually interested in an unfamiliar idea then 'maybe' is what leads me to curiosity to investigate further on my own time. Then I can decide whether the information is of value or even accurate. That's my strategy that mostly works.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  16. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I'm not sure why you can't have an open mind and retain control of what you choose to accept/reject/pursue, etc. The open mind simply allows you to listen without prejudice or fear. In my own experience, when I have encountered closed/narrow-minded people, more often than not there is a history of negative experience which leads to fear and a need to bolster the defenses. That is the closed mind. It doesn't fully trust itself, and so it fears admitting any ideas or concepts which might challenge it.

It is possible to have an open mind and be firm in your convictions, but leave open the possibility that maybe you don't have it all figured out, and that someone else might have something worthwhile to say. It might even change your life!

17. Toto'sDad

You see, in my case being solidly closed minded has PROTECTED me from open minded people with NARROW minded views.

18. Toto'sDad

That CAN happen, that's why I quit that avenue for good! When someone says, "just for arguments sake would agree to so, and so?" The minute you head down that road, man, there's no telling where you'll end up.

carpenter likes this.
  19. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

LOL I hear you brother!

Anyone that claims to be open-minded but has narrow-minded views is not open-minded.

Pretty much everyone has a cause which they are unmovable on. It's not a crime to have convictions. But if we are going to live amongst one-another in a society, we have to learn how to be compassionate and tolerant of the causes of others.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Ive had discussions with people that were able to convince me that their side was plausible. I’m not saying I agreed completely with their point of view but they presented a good enough point that I could respect their view. And the reverse occurred

bcorig, boneyguy, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.