1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should we buy Amplifier as Expnensive as Guitar or one should be less expensive?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 5, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What do you mean, I can't play the amp? I borrow one, and put it through the paces and if I like that model I get one - or buy that one.

In a way, that's what I do. I play amps. Some accessories like strings, picks, straps and guitars are needed, to play those amps.

stevemc likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, and another big issue is that people have different needs and likes/dislikes. For example, I just bought a Quilter head that cost less than 400 bucks, but is gonna be everything I need, because I am focusing these days on a compact mobile rig. My current speaker cab was DIY with a Celestion G12H30 (not a cheap speaker) so I'm at about 650 bucks for amp/cab. I'm considering a new cab with a lighter speaker and higher power rating, but I'll still total out near 700 bucks. I guess most of my guitars cost more than that, though I also have some that cost less but that I'm still happy with.

I think if I had a grand and one shot at a guitar and an amp I'd split it pretty evenly, but I'd be more likely to put a bit more into the amp than the guitar, because I'm comfortable working on my guitars and I can make a cheaper one feel and sound good, I think.

stevemc and Steve 78 like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Quality amps are for life, if you find the right ones.

4. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

Let's say I had 1500. I'd spend a grand on the amp and five hundred on the guitar. Assuming used, a nice used Tele and a nice used Deluxe Reverb.
    If I had more than that, I'd even out a bit more. A Fender DR or PR is my dream amp, so going more money makes no sense.
    In the end it is about what you want and need.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

boris bubbanov and etype like this.
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If I didn't have any fingers I could play an amp, too. Oh, and when someone asks me what I do for fun I can say that I play amp.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Hammerhead likes this.
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

There is still a basic level of neck comfort (sharp fret ends anyone?) and tuning stability that will kill your interest in playing. However, there are used $400 guitars and new $700 guitars that will feel as good as any $1,200 guitar (if blindfolded). Once you find a guitar you love, I bet you can find an amp that will sound great. But it also depends on how many watts you need. If you are not gigging, then an AC4 with a 12" speaker is $400 new. It is a pretty great sounding amp.

But if you keep spending $1,000 at a time and each time you buy a guitar AND an amp, it is time to sell all amps and buy one great one for $1,000.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The right $1,000 amp will make a cheap guitar sound fine. A cheap amp will make a $1,000 guitar sound cheap.

8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Honestly, a great guitar through a crappy amp sounds crappy. A crappy guitar through a great amp can sound good, but is no fun to play. So, get at least a GOOD guitar that is fun (and comfortable to play) and the best amp you can find and go with that.

9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Just saw archetype's post above my last one- what he said!

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

For playing with a band an expensive amp MAY sound better than a cheap one. Notice that I said may, 'cause people have been getting great sounds at gigs out of Peavey Bandits for decades. I recently tried the new Deluxe Blues Jr. with upgraded speaker, and I couldn't get the master above 1 to keep it at the low volume level that I play at in my tiny studio apt. And, if I turned up the gain, it was too loud even on 1. And, it sounded and felt no better than my Boss Katana Mini, Fender Mustang LT25, or Yamaha THR10C. When other players hear recordings I've made of jams with those amps soloing over a chord progression that I've got in my Digitech looper, they always comment on the great tone I get.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't answer the op's question, i'm just grateful I have greats amps AND great guitars.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Far too many snobby cork sniffers here whose opinions have no basis in reality.

13. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

It's a chain, so try to have balance. If you got a great guitar, try to match it with a great amp. If the amp is great, try to upgrade the guitar.

A great piece of gear tends to expose the rest for what they are. With a quality amp, the differences between guitars will become more aparrent. Similarly, a great guitar will magnify what each amp you play it through can do.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

More on the guitar
    Some on an amp that can play clean as a pedal platform
    Pedals to get your tones

(many players buy the fancy tube amp and then chuck solid state pedals at the thing, what's the point).

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am pretty sure I can sound great spending more. The challenge for me is sounding great and spending less. It usually works out.

Amp prices paid $25 -> $120
    Guitars prices paid $90 -> $575

16. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

This is exactly what I advise people.

stevemc likes this.
  17. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

that’s the recipe for basically all of your favorite recordings, and everyone else’s, right there.

TokyoPortrait, stevemc and dmitri like this.
  18. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My answer is that I would be willing to spend most of my money on the right amp. And feel confident that I can use the rest to get a good playing guitar. The right amp changed everything for me so that's what I would dedicate the most to. Probably other people have had that experience with a guitar...so there is no stock answer.

19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The most important question that nobody in this thread is asking is "how loud do you need to play?"

If you play outdoor shows without PA support you probably need to spend more on the amp.

On these internet forums when this question comes up, the answer is overwhelmingly "amp", in the real world when cash drops on the counter the answer is overwhelmingly "guitar ".

20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not counting my self built guitars, my most expensive guitars range in price from $600 to $1200. My top line amps fall in the same price range. Those amps make even my cheap guitars sound outstanding. My cheap amps, on the other hand (and I have a few) make even the most expensive guitars sound like plastic toys. Get a good amp, whether it is modeling, solid-state ore valve, get a good one. And remember, although there will usually be a substantial price difference between the types, the good ones of any type are not had cheaply.

Greggorios and stevemc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.