Should vintage now move on up to 1978 as 74 was once 70?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by a.francis.1968, Dec 11, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That would make a lot of early 90s vintage plywood.

But personally I think the price hikes of the cheaper brands are based on prices that younger guitarists are willing to pay for junk.

Someone who learned in the 50s on a Harmony is not going to want one, especially at a high price, same for 60s-70s Japanese guitars and 80s Korean stuff.

2. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 TDPRI Member

The premise of the question was referring to wether there should be a cut off point from which you differentiate between what would be called vintage or not at a specific time frame or if build quality determines the answer for example a lot of folks having a hard time equating 70s Fenders as being of a good quality so should those guitars not be considered vintage as they have been around 40 years or so. This might seem like a non issue but there are financial aspects to this scenario, put vintage in front of the tag and you’ve doubled your money and looking at some listings 70s Fenders currently have high resale values but they may be of dubious quality? Or just different with their sleek and shiny poly finishes. I had a 78 Tele, it intonated well, had good action, sounded great, looked good maybe there was a better quality control if it was going for export due to the higher prices that would be charged?
    I would like to buy another one but they are expensive now because they have the vintage tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I had a nice '73 Strat that I sold very cheaply back in the 90's. I wish I hadn't sold it. But, I wouldn't buy another 70's Strat to replace it now. If I was going to spend that much, I'd buy a new Professional or Ultra series or even a custom shop.

4. a.francis.1968

I liked the ultra colours but was disappointed in the jazz master it had become very strat like with that ubiquitous squeaky honkiness and didn’t sound like a jazz master at all. Personally they should have just stuck three vintage jazz master pickups and jimmied the switches a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Festofish likes this.
  5. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Don’t really have a dog in this hunt, but I’d say early 60’s as a vintage cut off. Before Fender began adding variations to the derivative models.

Of course, in 100 years, they will all be considered vintage so why are we discussing this?

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

wait isn't vintage anything older than 25?

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Yes, generally 25-30 years denotes 'vintage'.

8. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

There is a distinction between the great vintage guitar years and something thats simply 30 years old. I doubt any of us will live long enough to see early charvels reach 6 figures. As where custom colored early 70,s strats and Teles are there now. Those are way overpriced.

9. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

To me there is a difference between vintage and just old. My family considered all of their furniture to be antique. When they had it appraised, it was determined to be old, but mass produced and nothing special. That's how I feel about most guitars by the late '70s.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Agreed. 1980 fenders will never be vintage

tlsmack and Tommy Biggs like this.
  11. a.francis.1968

They will be vintage because they will be x amount of years old, the problem on here is does vintage connotate a design specific or should it be purely on the fact the instrument has reached x amount of years. It seems to me on here that people think that if it has a poly finish it'll never be vintage? In 50 years when those attitudes have reduced music to everyone playing the same super exacting guitar and amp with the exact same manufacturing tolerances and writing the same song then I think these instruments from the shiny happy wobbly period will be vintage and they will be the last vintage because they are not all exacting. It started already look at that hip hop RnB thing it's like one long song all day, a lot of suet being eaten on that shift.

12. a.francis.1968

Thanks for all your input on this question and I have now concluded after much consternation that there are a lot of obstinate folks on here and there will be a new classification of vintage for the short period of the original poly finish guitars to be called "Fintage" for those of a more street urchin like ambivalence such as myself.

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

But is it a real Fintage or a reissue Fintera?

14. a.francis.1968

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.