1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should tuners fit snugly in the headstock?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WilburBufferson, Jan 19, 2021.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

I know we are talking fractions here, but would it be better if the tuner shaft makes direct contact with the surrounding wood of each hole in the headstock? I am replacing some tuners on an old Ibanez semi-hollow with some locking Grovers. The replacements will pop right in without the need to ream the hole. They're not swimming around in there, but not making positive contact either. I think that the bushing nut and single screw will keep things steady. Should I call it a day?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The bushing nut certainly helps, but they'll likely develop a very slight 'lean' over time, from string tension. Whether this is a problem depends on how loose they are. Also, your alternate options may be limited.

3. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Call it a day :).

You don't say whether the bushings are press-in or screw-in, but it really doesn't make any difference. The tuner posts are captured within the bushing, and the bushing is what gives them the support they need.

I usually use the vintage tuners, and use the old way of installing them which requires a stepped hole. Most folks just drill an 11/32" hole to accept the bushing, and call it a day, but I still drill a stepped hole - 11/32" on the face side where the bushing goes, and a smaller 1/4" hole on the backside which fits the 1/4" diameter tuner post shaft.

Is it necessary? No, but it makes me feel like I'm doing a better job ;).

It does give the shaft a little extra support right at the base, but I'm not really convinced that it "adds" anything to the installation except some extra time and labor.

It sounds like you've got a handle on it :).

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

He says 'bushing nut', so I read that as not press-fit. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's saying that the bushing has play in the hole. If the complaint were play in the shaft itself, it'd be a LOT of play :lol:.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.