1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should these dogs have been sentenced to death?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A very unfortunate situation, but yes, I think the dogs have to be euthanized.

I love dogs, but given the serious nature of the attack, I think that's what has to be done.

-Eric

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Right, they were watching the dogs for the owner. Apparently the owner has been less than cooperative throughout this whole thing. I don't even know how to address the whole "breeder/not breeder" minutia. She had two unaltered dogs that bred and then provided improper care and exercised bad judgement., that makes her an irresponsible breeder in my book.

3. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

4. Bones

I would agree with them being re-homed with people who really know how to care for dogs in general and the breed in particular. I don't really see what euthanasia accomplishes, that can't be accomplished in other ways.

5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe you're right... then if any sort of similar occurrence ever happened again, then euthanasia might be the only recourse.

6. Bones

I guarantee that if I had those two dogs after the fact, nothing even close to this would ever happen again. To me it just smacks of revenge and fear-response.

7. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Couldn't bring myself to even read the story. Shame. People suck.

8. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

These dogs may have acted according to their nature, but they do not live in the wild. Fact is there are thousands of stray dogs put down daily in this country who have never bitten anyone, simply because there are not enough homes for them all. It is an unfortunate situation, but I do not see why these particular dogs should be spared when so many unwanted animals are not.

9. 2blue

2blue Tele-Meister

10. Bones

Because there was a fairly large group of experienced people trying to give these dogs, particularly the female a second chance and they were willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure they would not be in this position ever again. These people recognized that these dogs were put in a bad spot and reacted accordingly.

11. Bones

12. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

Agreed! A unprovoked dog attack should be seen as unacceptable regardless of the size of the dog.
    I have personally been attacked 3 times by a dog in my life.
    All 3 times it was a miniature poodle.
    My best friends uncle breeds doberman's and I've owned German Shepherd's all my life.
    Neither my or my friends uncle's dogs have ever bitten anyone. (we both do schutzhund so bite work with people wearing bite suit's doesn't count)

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's sad to see a fellow dog lover as yourself referring to "dangerous breeds", you should know better.

That remark sums up the problem between people who own dogs who can become dangerous in a heartbeat, and those of us who must suffer them. It is not I who should know better, but you. There are breeds that go along for years, then get a wire crossed one day and attack someone many times someone that trusts the dog. News accounts for years have been full of such incidents. No amount of explaining the dogs breeding, or his personal traits is going to change the fact that situations arise where unsuspecting people are put in harms way by someone elses desire to have an animal who is, or can become dangerous.

Further, I do understand what I'm talking about because when I was a young man, I owned hunting dogs that would run and tree bear. When dogs are in the hunt mode, they aren't chasing the animal for fun, they are chasing it to kill, it's their nature. Large dogs must be confined, or leashed to prevent people from being exposed to the dark side of large dogs.

Laws, geography, and social concience change, I no longer hunt, I'm too old, and I know better now, but I certainly know something about the nature of dogs. I've been bittren, but usually because I was careless. Someone who didn't know how to handle dogs in the field, could easily be harmed baddly.

You may have the last word if you wish, neither of us will change our position, nor legions on either side of the question. But remember, the risk factor is loaded against those of us with small dogs, we aren't much threat to you. It is sad to see someone you know and work with have a large dog, burst through their fence and kill their little companion who is not able to defend themselves, and have the offending dog and his owner go scott free more times than not. No, niether of us will change, our nature prevents it.

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, doesn't matter why it happened, just that it did.

15. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

As one that has had a life-long passion with dogs, and striving to understand the complexities of dog behavior, I have to agree with this statement.

Everything was fine, until the third dog was brought into "the den". That beagle instantly became a threat to the pups, because #1, it was not a trusted pack-member. #2, see #1.

Dogs are pack animals. They have a pack mentality. They MUST function as a pack-member.

This was a predictable event.

And the knee-jerk reaction too it, was also incredibly predictable.

Just my 2 cents worth. ymmv.

16. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Just to share what happened to a friend couple weeks back which made 4th page news here.

It was at a dog outing, those deals at a park where owners and dogs came together for a festival of dog related activities and just plain dog mingling.

Friend's Rottweiler, who was muzzled the entire afternoon, was finally unmuzzled once for him to drink some water. Its in the afternoon and we are practically on the equator. So this silky terrier comes up and starts stalking the bigger obviously categorized "dangerous breed" :rolleyes:. It then nipped at the bigger dog's ankles and then went over to bite my friend's arm, who was crouched down pouring water for the Rottweiler.

Needless to say, big black dog took one bite of the silky terrier, flabbergasting and shocking everyone including my friend who was at that moment flinching from the bite (btw it drew blood), and holding his dog down.

He rushed the small dog and the dog's owner to a animal hospital but it was too late. Rottweiler in the mean time was taken over by a friend and soon taken home.

In the end, after police reports and going to the press by the dead dog's family (friend of mine is a rather well known actor here), the authorities decided that Rottweiler does not need to be put down even after the "vicious & fatal bite on a small dog" :rolleyes:. Reason being was the small dog was unleashed and roaming around, and was seen unsettling other dogs around before coming over to the Rottweiler. The owner said it was a small harmless dog and that it was unleashed in order to get ready for a dog event it was in. Also eyewitnesses confirmed the Rottweiler only bit & withdrew only when it's owner was bitten, and that it was muzzled & leashed the entire afternoon.

Thank goodness common sense prevailed in my opinion. Our agriculture authority is actually pretty heavy handed on animals.

That is all. Please always to leash your dog in a new environment or urban area.

And until you actually have a dog that does almost EVERYTHING you command, no you are not a great dog person. And you think musicians have egos?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.