Should neck and body serials match?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tpaul, Jul 28, 2014.

1. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Just picked up a used MIM standard Tele and noticed the sticker in the pickup cavity doesn't match the serial number on the headstock. Headstock serial is MZ4XXXXXX and body sticker number is M00XXXXXX.

I realize necks and bodies can be produced at different times, but wondered whether this indicates a parts swap in the guitar's past. Or is the body sticker number some other type of parts code?

Not a big deal, just wondering.

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The only serial number on the guitar is the one on the headstock. MZ4 indicates a Mexican built guitar from 2004-2005.

A sticker in the pickup cavity is not a serial number. It's most likely a Fender part number.

But, necks and bodies are manufactured separately and it's not uncommon - especially on older guitars - to see stamped dates on neck heels that differ from serial number ranges by up to a year or so.

3. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Modern Fenders don't have serial numbers that match on the neck and body. But they DID back in the late '70s and early '80s, where a sticker in the neck pocket beared the same serial number as the headstock, or bridgeplate, if it was a '52RI Tele.

Thanks,

4. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! I sort of thought I remembered older teles having the same serial number on the body as on the neck... guess they don't do that anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.