1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I stop practicing and playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by crcic, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm a little late to the thread and it's good to see so much encouragement. First off you are well ahead of where most people would be after 2 years. My only critique for your solo like others is the fluidity. My advice is that once you are up to the point is to learn how to play it faster than the original recording, if you can do that then playing normal speed will feel effortless.

I don't want too take you're words out of context but if your main motivation to pickup the guitar is to do focused learning for an hour a day you will get burnt out.

I think you either need to find a new motivation, that can be learning a new style of music, writing music, playing with others or something else entirely. Learning something for the sake of a general interest will eventually get old and become a chore.

I am currently studying a degree in maths, there are topics that I find interesting and some that I don't. Luckily I only spend so long on each one before being assessed and moving onto the next thing so I enjoy the interesting ones and tolerate the rest.

Until recently I hated statistics, first and foremost it's boring and secondly I didn't see a use for it other than lining the pockets of some corporation. Now I work part time for a non-profit organisation as a data analyst and I have a new found appreciation for statistics. Now I want to learn more because I'm applying it to something that actually makes a real difference to people's lives.

My point being that to make real progress you need some real motivation that won't dwindle.

crcic and SRHmusic like this.
  2. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Continue your 1 hour practice but instead of practicing one or two days, find someone to jam with as good or better than you get a couple of easy songs and find yourself, It will be rough the first couple of times but it will be fun. You will be surprised at how much you really know. Practice->Boring Jamming->Fun, you got to have balance

crcic likes this.
  3. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Ironically enough you may find that practicing once a week will help you to improve faster once you have the muscle memory engrained in your soul. I learned that the hard way. I also found that when it comes to creating solos, the less practice you do the more original it sounds. Now that I don't practice every day I have discovered that I sound more like myself instead of me playing someone else's music.

Although it is worth noting that this may not be the case for you or anyone else that reads this post. That is just the way it worked out for me.

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

This may sound strange but the majority of people I know of who have picked up the guitar and then permanently quick are those who never really got started in the first place. Sorry to have to tell you this but you're not one of those people. You see it's like learning to walk and talk. Once you learn to do those things you can sit down and close your mouth for awhile but sooner or later you're going to get up and walk down the road with something to say. Do whatever makes you feel good when it makes you feel good but it's already to late for you. You're in the club and we don't accept resignations.:)

P Thought likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

You are doing GREAT! I've been messing with Hotel California for over 30 years and still don't play the lead.

6. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

It is called "playing guitar," not "working guitar". You already have a job, and you don't need to create another one from something that is supposed to be fun. Unless you are making money from it, quit being so regimented in your practice routine.

I, like you, am a 40-something beginner. My personality requires that I obsess over something, and that something is currently guitars. I enjoy the challenge of learning new things, but I'm not going to kill myself over it either. I have no aspirations of ever gigging or playing in a band. Playing guitar is a hobby for me; not a job. I learn new skills by learning parts of songs that require them. Sure, I could probably get better faster by performing drills an hour a day, but what is the fun in that? When you turn something into a burden, it ceases to be fun. When it ceases to be fun, you will eventually quit.

Only play when you want to and only play what is fun.

SRHmusic and Asmith like this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sounds like you might just need a break. Your guitar isn't going anywhere. Don't stress about it. Take a month off. Reassess your goals.

If it's a hobby, it needs to be fun. Otherwise, what's the point?

SRHmusic likes this.
  8. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Dude

I've been playing professionally off and on since 1977.

and I can't play the solo to Hotel California.:)

You've doing great!

Find music you enjoy playing and play it.

Peace,
    Pastor Jay

9. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes. Give it up.

crcic likes this.
  10. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Sure, but right after I have my first class today with a pro. guitar teacher. :)

harpdog likes this.
  11. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What helped me was going to open mic nights and blues jams; making connections, performing, and watching others perform. Of course, that’s not possible at the moment.

At the end of 2018, I was in a successful classic rock band. The leader got sick and the keyboard player joined another band. I looked around all spring and finally found a country band that wanted me. I’ve never played country before, but I jumped in and learned all the songs. Now I am studying all the great country players and having a ball with the new genre.

You are doing fine. Best wishes.

12. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

What would "good enough" be? What is your goal in playing?

I'd suggest putting it down for a while, or at least stopping the 1 hour regiment. Unless you are practicing for something, playing should be fun or cathartic It sounds like you are just wasting an hour of your day. I have a feeling one of two things will happen. Either you'll eventually stop picking it up, and your time will be spent on things you enjoy more, or you'll start picking it up what you want to play and you'll enjoy it and whatever time spent won't have been a waste.

13. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

hee hee ;)

crcic likes this.
  14. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

So, after just talking with my new teacher (still did hot have a class, it is scheduled for later today) I realized that all my boredness is because I know theory, scales, techniques etc... (I mean I know them as much as you can learn for 2 years) but I only know to play 4-5 songs. It's just like he said, you have full garage with super car parts, you know each part what can be used for, you can assemble cars from those parts, but you don't drive those cars.

Will see how it goes later today, but I feel pretty optimistic.

P Thought, PastorJay and hnryclay like this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Hi, I'm going to assume your music is isolated, no community to share it with. TDPRI has a sub forum called Twanger Central, they have a wonderful community of guitarists that play over the backing tracks and then post it for everyone to hear. No negative critics.1

It's a very supportive group, we all have a blast doing it, 2 to 3 bt per week.

Most everyone advances with this. I've been here about 1-1/2yrs and I have seen the guys greatly grow as players and musicians.

Please come on over and check it out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  16. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

4 songs in 2 years? What the heck have you been playing for all those hours? That's a lot of scales and drills. No wonder that you are burned out.

Anyways, sounds like the new direction has got you going again. I've thought about taking lessons, but don't really have the time with two kids. My playing is mostly done in between meetings and emails in my home office.

crcic likes this.
  17. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I'll repeat what I said before, before I'm nothing if not redundant, repetitive, and repetitious.

Find music you like to play and play it.

You've got the tools. Now have some fun.

18. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No

19. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

Stop practicing a little while and play/strum along to songs you like. I've been playing for over 6 years after having 20 years off. I was better then than now but I have no inclination to get better. I don't gig, I don't earn money from but cranking up the amp now and again and blasting along what's the frequency Kenneth always puts a smile on my face.
    For me it's a hobby not a job.

20. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Here: https://streamable.com/fir6fu

The goal was to be able to improvise over any backtrack. I shoot this video just for you, it is the first back track that showed up on youtube, it is also the first time that I'm hearing it and nothing is prepared up front (god I don't even like flamenco). Just the first and only one shoot with the camera. And as you can see, I'm pretty bad.

But leave that aside, I took my first class yesterday and I'm very pleased. Actually most of the class we were just talking but that was enough. The desire to become a guitar master is back. Now I will practice 2 hours instead of one. :) <- This is joke. We agreed on 30 minutes for now, Sunday is day without instrument.

PastorJay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.