1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I stop practicing and playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by crcic, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

You have heard a lot of quality advice here, and virtually none of it points in the direction of, "go ahead and quit, man". Everyone has encouraged you to keep at it, and to keep playing.

I'll add this much;

* It's helpful to take a break every now and then.
    Giving the guitar a rest for a week is healthy.
    When you come back to it you often find yourself refreshed.

and,

* Not being in a band, you currently suffer from a lack of a specific motivation.
    I believe in performance goal-oriented practice, and I always will.

In other words, if you don't have any idea where you're going, how do you know you're on the right road?

1. Arrange to set-up and play at some public venue.
    A street corner, or the plaza of an outdoor shopping mall.
    And then get out there with your pre-recorded back tracks, and play for people walking by.
    Leave your guitar case open with a few dollars and some coins as seed money.
    Let people hear you play.
    Be a busker in other words.
    You would have a specific performance goal of getting a ten-song set list together.
    You would now have something for which you must prepare, and that is playing live before passersby.

2. Call around to some old folks homes or assisted living facilities.
    Talk to the Events Coordinator.
    See if they regularly have guitar players come in and play and sing for the oldsters.
    Set up to go in an play for an hour.
    Work up some great oldies that you can play and sing for them.
    The old ladies and men (mostly old ladies, because men don't live as long) will love it, and they will sing along.
    This is another specific performance goal that would force you to prepare in a specific manner.
    You'll need a music stand for your lyrics and chords, most likely.

and,
    3. Advertise on Craigslist or the local guitar store bulletin board for somebody to jam with.
    That's right.
    Offer yourself up to jam and perform with perfect strangers.
    Chances are there are other fellows who need to break out of a rut, and who want to sit down and play guitar with another player.
    Arrange to meet in a place where you can play with adequate social distance.
    When you play with other guitarists, you will always find something they have to offer or teach you.
    And you will find some things that you can offer them.
    Tips, tricks, riffs.
    In the end, you will both get better, and you will have a hell of a good time.
    It's like signing onto the 'ladder' of local tennis players.
    When you play with worse players, you enjoy being better than somebody else, but your competition helps them to get better.
    And when you get on the court with a superior tennis player, their skills force you to step up your game, and you get better.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

Chester P Squier, Tele907 and JL_LI like this.
  2. Clouds84

Clouds84 TDPRI Member

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now and I only got really better when I played with others. Practising by yourself is all well and good but playing with others you learn about timings, the tempo of a song and you're a lot more encouraged. I'd say I learned a lot more playing with others than by myself

3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

It can be a slow road. I gave up for decades and I can honestly say, 2 years back in, I'm much happier learning first and progressing towards being the player I want to be, than I ever was being a guy who used to play guitar.

4. hoggy

hoggy TDPRI Member

sounds & looks like you're right on track

5. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

You sound fine, especially for a relatively new player. Try to ease up on yourself and just play when you want and what you want. As said above, consider playing with others. Even just jamming moves your playing on.

6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Playing guitar takes time. You are doing great. I think we just have to find ways to re-motivate ourselves from time to time. Playing with other musicians in front of people is huge. I play in church every week and that has helped develop my music skills in many ways.

When I find myself in a rut, I look to some my favorite players for inspiration.... for me, players like BB King, Mark Knopfler or David Gilmour.

Most of all........ LOVE the guitar.

7. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Maybe there are some forum members close by or can always post in local music groups on Facebook or the old Craigslist. I used both to find a guitarist for my newest project. Keep rocking though, it sounds like you’ve come a long way. We all doubt our skills at times; that’s part of being an artist.

8. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Thank you for your advices to all of you. I have just scheduled a lessons with a pro. guitar player from my town and also a guitar teacher. Will see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for all your help!

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

One thing that I learned early in my guitar journey was to not over practice. If you feel like you are getting bored with what you are learning, either take your practicing down a notch, to once a week for a couple of months, or go and learn a new aspect of the instrument. Granted, I'm not even thirty yet...but I have been playing over half of my life, and that was one of the hardest lessons to learn. i thought I needed to practice an hour every day no matter what...that is what crushes the soul of musicians and students alike.

SRHmusic and crcic like this.
  10. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Stop practicing, start playing.

11. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Yeah, but I'm afraid that I will forget what have I learned if I dont practice every day. :D Or maybe not...? Not joking, this is a serious question.

for example, it took me 1 maybe 2 months to learn the triads. I did that. after that I did not use them for some time and I forget them. Now, when I see the structure of a chord, root note, position etc... I can remember what is where but it took me maybe 1 second to "do the math". Before I was able to find it instantly. Of course, before that I was playing them from a muscle memory and from my mind, now I play them because I understand the theory behind them.

12. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Will do!

13. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

2 years? And you expect to be decent? Highly, highly, unlikely unless you really truly dedicate yourself to it. The measurement for time with an instrument is not in terms of years or months - it's hours.

Bob plays 10 hours a day for a year = 3650 hours.
    Steve plays 1 hours a day for the same year = 365 hours.

At this practice rate, it would take Steve 10 years to get to Bob's 1 year - you see my point?

What I tell people who compliment me on my playing is: "If you knew the amount of time I actually have spent practicing? You would find my skills completely unimpressive"

If learning guitar was 2 years easy - everyone would do it - and it wouldn't be cool.

So put on your big boy pants and get to work (tough love brother!)

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

above > exactly right and then add this to the fry pan, have we been noodling for 2 years or studying for 2 years. ? Not the same thing.

Not even remotely the same thing.

We read massive amounts of comments like "Just Play Man" Play what ? The same thing as yesterday, last week, last month, last year ? Of course we should always PLAY what we have learned, jam with others , play songs, have fun etc..but that doesn't replace STUDY. Its in addition TO study. And yes, we should noodle. When we study various scale modes or multiple root positions , and then noodle around them, thats when the light goes on. And when the light goes ON, it never goes out because we now know exactly why the dots are connected . Now we play those same things in 4 or 5 keys and the entire fretboard just opened up, and we know why. We are no longer guessing .

Did we ever stop to think about the tuning ( 4ths) or why there are 12 frets and they repeat? Did we ever think about why there are multiple forms of the same chords in various fretboard locations ? This wasn't an accident.

Remember the TV show Freaks and Geeks ? Great show, The Freaks had a band, 4 or 5 of them, nobody knew how to play an instrument, but they jammed on "Sunshine Of Your Love" anyway. It was great ! And they argued with each other as well . " Man you're playing it wrong " LOL :)

What is your goal ? To study and improve or just learn a few chords and jam with some friends ?

Remember , this is the TIPS , Theory and Technique section of TDPRI. You asked the right question in the right place. Those players among us who have been studying for years are commenting. Studying an Instrument doesn't end, it continues our entire lives, unless WE decide we have studied enough. And then we simply just noodle around what we have previously learned ! " I've been playing for 40 years, but I stopped studying 30 years ago, I'm really good at what I learned in those first 10 years " ! :)

In business we have a phrase for that, "I repeated the first 10 years 4 times" . Don't feel bad, many of us become victim to that, I know I did. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    P Thought likes this.
  15. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Keep on pickin!

16. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Work on improvisation for about 50% of your practice session. You are empowered to create music. Write a song about being too hard on yourself.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  17. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

You are doing good dont quit, if you can play samba pa ti that fast bit with bending was hard for me even with about 3 years practice i and played around 3 hours each day.

I can play more or less anything now it is just frame of mind mostly, just challenge yourself with something a bit harder each day for a while that is what gave me the spur, i was about 52 when i started btw so your are very young still.

18. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

As a new guitarist my self. And also I am 42. I started out like you. I started practicing scales, chords, theory, mundane stuff like that before starting to learn music/songs, etc. But after a couple months I was kinda in the same place as you. I’m not ever going to get any good. I’m just destined to suck at this thing. But I just kinda threw caution to the wind and said screw it! I love playing music, I love the guitar, so I’m just going to gage fun with it. Now I do start with a warm up and a few drills. But I’ve gotten away from such strict practice routine. I am in. I way good or even close to mediocre. But I’m getting better and I have fun playing. I also started taking lessons. I actually take lessons from a shop by my house, and online from a buddy of mines relative that has a pretty impressive guitar resume. Those have helped me tremendously and made it more fun for me. But I also told them from the beginning, this is what I want to do. Help me get there.

19. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

why did you want to play guitar?
    why do you want to be better than you now can (i can't play the things you name and the first time i picked up a guitar is 40 years ago :rolleyes:)

but i tweak the guitars, and put on a cd and play along and sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.
    but always i play because i want to, and not because i must.
    and as long you don't earn your livelihood with it, it is no problem.
    its not because you have to be the best, but that you enjoy the things you do

so smile and give it a go, whenever you want and when ever you like

20. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

I think I am close to your situation, as in 41 years old, have a job other than playing guitar etc etc... I have played since I was 9, but did not sit down and concentrate until the last few years.

I like the idea of at least an hour of practice a day, as long as it is useful. Do you take notes/journal your progress? Set goals as to why you are practicing? For me when things get stale I set a goal. Right now my practice regimen is scales, some speed finger movement drills, and then working on a solo that has a lot of pinch harmonics that are tough for me to hit in time. I have set that solo as a goal, and for a reward intend to buy a new amp when I get it down. Sometimes I use small rewards such as a new pack pf picks, it a strap, or some other gizmo. Just a game I play with my head.

I also like to play other instruments after my practice session, drums, keys, bass, etc... makes it fun. I will never earn money as a musician, but I dont want to either, and I enjoy practicing, and playing just for the joy of doing so, especially jamming with friends. The worst part of this pandemic has been the loss of opportunity to play with others, and really challenge yourself to get better to play to thier level. Hopefully that will return soon.

Good luck, stick with it!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.