1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I stop practicing and playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by crcic, Jan 18, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’ve been playing for like 20 years and I’m maybe that good.

Don’t sweat it man. You’re pretty good. Play guitar because you enjoy it. If you don’t enjoy it, don’t worry about it, do something else for a while. You can always come back to it if you want, or if your heart isn’t in it, plenty of other stuff out there in life.

I’ll also echo to tap into your creative side. I think practice and playing covers is boring. Writers block brings its own challenges, but writing original stuff keeps me loving guitar.

2. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE TDPRI Member

I played for 5 years, was in a band, moved...and quit for 15 years. I have been back at it for 3 years and regret ever quitting. I love to play, always did...but life got in the way.

I am better now than I ever was, but I still question how good I could have been.

Don't quit. Take some time. Make yourself go to a guitar shop every 2 weeks just to think "I like...guitar".

Wallaby likes this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

do what you want...quit...don't quit... whatever.

But I think you could slow down and work out that song a little better, there are a lot of sort slop/rough spots in it if you are trying to play it note for note, slow down all the rough patches are practice them with some intensity, before working on the whole song too much more.

Telling is that you seem to sort of flop on certain phrases instead of fudging them a little and making them sound ok, by not playing them note for note, which makes me think that if you worked on improvising more you might be parroting a bit less and phrasing for yourself a bit more.

Overall for a guy in your 60s (oops you're much younger) but neverless for an older dude who's only been playing a couple of years, I think you're kicking major ass.

If you want to sound like you've been playing guitar for 20 years, play for another 18. There are no shortcuts.

Have fun, work hard.. or quit.

unfamous likes this.
  4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

If you don't play guitar with your heart and for the love of it, you'll never be good enough.

I know my shortcomings and I know I will never be George Harrison, but I soldier on because I love guitars and I LOVE to play!!!

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some of us have been playing for decades and aren't as advanced as we would hope to be.

Don't give up. As the saying goes- "I don't play guitar because I'm good at it. I play because I enjoy it".

6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Two years is NOTHING

Keep on rocking

DougM likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I think no of us feel we are as good as we are, it seems to me it's a guitarist flaw, especially if most playing and practice is at home.
    It's ok to leave the guitar practice for a while, get your feeling for the guitar back then start again. I am sure if you have been playing nearly two years you are not doing too bad. :):)

8. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Im going to write a long one...

9. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Well, I've been playing for a year now (not as good obviously :lol:, self-taught), and I'm not sure what kind of advice a teenager can give, except when everyone keeps telling you to remember why you started playing guitar (if you said why I missed it cause I didn't read most the previous two pages), I'd agree.
    And I'm sure you're not finding this very helpful, but look to your hero's (mine are SRV and Kenny Wayne Shepard), maybe really try to write a song/solo that sounds like Joe Walsh, that kind of Melodic Solo (I think). I'm trying to write a song that's Mary Had A Little Lamb; SRV, inspired, but what I'm finding is that it has started to sound like my own style.

SO if you think that writing a song that sounds just Like Joe Walsh, or whoever it might be, is just copying and not original, you're wrong. You'll find that your own sound will come through that amp, and once you realize this, it can really motivate you to play.

For me, I've played every day for at least half an hour, but sometimes for two (or even more) straight! It's not cause I tell myself I halve to, but rather because I want to, I want to be that good, I want to make it big.
    The reason I play guitar now is different than the reason I started, sort of. I started because my friend got one for Christmas (Squier Strat). I, being jealous, picked up an almost unbranded Esenada Acoustic (classical) from our closet, and crudely cut myself a pick out of an old Arcade Card. The first song I learned to play (besides Smoke on the Water, etc. and About A Girl (Em, G G, Em, G G), was Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd, which at the time were probably my favorite band. I played that for at least a month, non stop, until I'd perfected it, doing this while I learned the Open "Cowboy" Chords. (And I played on the same strings from the '70s for over half a year).

Beside The Point, the point back then was just to be like my friend, but now it's just about progressing, writing things that sound good (I'm in a high school band, playing trombone, so I know some theory). One, day, I hope to be as good as my hero's, but until then, I'll just keep getting better, and progressing as fast as possible.

In conclusion: YES, I might be twenty-whatever years younger than you, so you might just ignore this.

BUT, my final conclusive advice to give you is, don't practice just for what made you pick up the guitar... practice, progress, play, whatever for what you currently want to get out of it. Even if all it is for is just a relaxing hobby, if that's what you want to do, then do it. Don't just do drills of playing even if you don't want to, only play if you do.

I'm confident that you'll be much more satisfied, and may even end up playing longer than you mean to cause you'll end up finding your in the zone.

Thank You For Reading,

Spencer.

crcic likes this.
  10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

as soon as you can play your first song, it's not wasted time anymore...you're in...
    the guitar is a universe,you can't learn everything.

Concentrate on goals you can reach and work on that.
    Look at The Edge (U2) ...is he able to play Paul Gilbert licks? No! Instead, he plays easy stuff and turns it into magic

11. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Get
    In
    A
    Band.

The playing standard isn't important. Play something as simple as Louie Louie, GLORIA and Wild Thing but whatever you do take it seriously and do it WELL. Find some like-minded folks or friends to jam with. Work up a simple Set List to play at someone's birthday or BBQ.

Trust me, being in a band will give you reason and motivation to push yourself and keep going. You'll share good times and bad and learn a lot on the way.

Stick with it. Good luck!

LiveTransmission and hnryclay like this.
  12. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Just show that fine video to anyone not able to play music, and they'll help you appreciate the gift and joy of it!

Being critical of your playing is also a musical skill ;) , and it does grow together with all the other ones. It's part of what pushes you forward, so very useful.

But all this should be joyful and stress free. We play what we are. Also, when being disillusioned because you can't play like a famous player, don't forget that they've probably worked on their playing all day long for many years, with unparalleled commitment and discipline. Sometimes we want the results, but not really the workload.

You mentioned shredding. If you want to work towards that, I feel the best approach is to find a good teacher with a good system for it, even for a few lessons, so you have the basics down. You can easily hurt your hands if doing things wrong at that style.

Enjoy the ride. I'd say loving and hating ones playing is more of the rule rather than the exception. :) Keep playing!

13. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hang in there you are doing well! Everyone hits patches of meh with practice and playing but the best cure for that is to power thru and not giving up or stopping.

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The problem for many NEW players, regardless of the Instrument , is the initial foundation of learning. What exactly are we practicing ? Are we noodling, actually practicing a technique, chords ,scales, whatever ? Noodling is not practice. At the very beginning we must put ourselves into a process, and that process stays with us our entire lives as we are always learning. If the process is good, we move forward, if the process is NOT good we stay stuck in 1st gear. We may have been playing for 10 years but all we are doing is repeating the 1st year 10 times.

It is very difficult to understand the discipline required for each new student. Internet courses assume everyone is the same. Nothing can be more inaccurate, we are NOT the same.
    Then we have teachers who we think are great players but they can't teach worth a CxxP. Good teachers are very hard to find. Make that VERY hard.

A quality teacher can get beginner players on the right path, they can advise on what the player already knows, or if in fact they don't know what they are playing. A beginner player can easily be someone who has been noodling for 10 years but doesn't actually know what they are doing, they have NOT connected the dots. But they sound like they know what they are doing. Two totally different scenario's .

For EX . whether we play single notes , chords or scales , regardless of position or forms, if we play across the neck we are playing in 4ths . IF we play BACK the other direction, we are playing in 5ths . IF we don't learn this early on, it can take years to understand the connection of the DOTS , because we are noodling the fretboard, not PLAYING the fretboard. We are playing from habit.

"I can play Blues in A on the 5th fret but I know if I play up here around the 10th fret , it works". Well, theres a reason it works, its not a accident, its not luck. Its the fretboard talking to us, but are we listening or just winging it ?

A quality teacher can identify this in a NY minute. Interview some teachers, ask them about this, if they know it and agree, give them a try. IF they don't, MOVE ON, they know less than you !

Don't give up , redirect your learning. You probably know more than you think you know. Playing guitar is not about how many riffs or chords we know, its about understanding the fretboard first.

Go forward !

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    ndcaster likes this.
  15. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

No, playing just for fun. Reason why I started playing is because as a kid I tried to play guitar, but back in the days when I was kid in the good old 90-ties there was not internet, no instruments like today, no one to teach me, we did not have a lot of money as well so after a few months I give up. But I never give up from love to the guitar, so 2 years ago I did not have anything better to do, so I decided to buy a guitar, my first fender stratocaster player series... and so everything started from there.

And yes, my practice is like military training, you are right. When I decide to do anything I'm doing it. Why you may ask...? Because if I stop doing it I will give up. That is why I opened this thread, to gain some motivation not to give up.

hnryclay likes this.
  16. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

I think I will give it a shot, at least 1 class per week. thank you!

Sconnie likes this.
  17. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Good tops. And another one that I grab from the internet, I will include a day without instrument. Sunday I wont touch guitar at all.

JL_LI likes this.
  18. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

No, I work in the IT industry for more than 20 years so not that much guitarists around me. :)

No, not with bands, my computer and as you said Apple's GarageBand is my band. :) Most of the time I use back tracks from youtube.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  19. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Haha, I already do that, I have guitar in every room. I learned that trick from Rick Beato, the problem is that when I play those guitars I'm just noodling, not learning anything else. Actually as I'm typing this response I realize that those guitar are there for noodling and fun. During all these practice seasons I forget to have fun. Thanks this helped!

hnryclay likes this.
  20. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Believe me, I know theory, scales, chord shapes and formations, triads etc... pretty good. Also, I can improvise on almost any track. I will send a short clip once I'm back home. But again, another problem, all mine improvisations sounds the same to me. No, they dont sound like scales (like for example when you learn the fist pentatonic) I know the fretboard pretty well, know where the root tone is, where to start, where to go, where to stop etc... I can improvise around the whole guitar neck, not just in poxes or shapes... but again, everything sound the same to me. I realized that once I learned to play couple of other guitar players solos I was able to improve my improvisations by using some small (let's say tricks) that I learned from them, and thing get's better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.