1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I stop practicing and playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by crcic, Jan 18, 2021.

1. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Guys hi,

I need your help and advices. I play (or let's say learning to play guitar) for almost 2 years (1 year and 10 months exactly - I remember this exactly because I purchase my first fender on my birthday :). I practice literally every day for 1 hour (this includes theory, scales, chords, triads learning songs etc...) However I don't feel that I'm good enough. Maybe I don't have talent or simply guitar is not my instrument, who knows.... But I did not give up, until last week. Before that no matter how much I was tired or hate to practice I did not make any exceptions, 1 hour practice was a must, but since last week I simply stopped caring about. Actually not that I don't care, I start being lazy. Sometime the desire is back and I plug mu guitar and start playing but after 10-15 minutes I get bored. I'm at a level where I can play songs (included solos) like hotel california, empty rooms, still got the blues, samba pa ti and europa from santana etc.... but I still feel that after 2 years of playing I'm not good and that if I continue playing I will just waste my time.

I'm at a crossroad and seriously thinking of quitting (but I don't want to quit, I invested 2 years already and I'm not that young any more - 41 years old). I have also search on the internet and it looks like this is happening to many guitarist, and someone will say, for now play when you want not when you must, but that is not the point, when I start learning something I want to learn it properly. Playing with a band also is not possible because I'm not that good with people and I also don't have time. So any advice, stimulation or whatever will be highly appreciated.

This is me playing something so that you can have idea where I'm at. I can say that this video is from a practice so nothing is prepared upfront, just a raw video so I can get your thoughts and advices.

p.s. sorry for not using any of my fender guitars :)

Here is the link -> https://streamable.com/y44ij3

hnryclay, hoggy, Tele907 and 8 others like this.
  2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

You’re doing great! Don’t quit!
    Give yourself a week off, and think about why you wanted to start playing. Most importantly, don’t think “this is stupid, there’s no point”. The point is to make some music that will make you happy, or someone else happy.
    I prefer making myself happy.

Finally, having played for almost 50 years I will say there’s been times that I was too busy to play, and times I didn’t feel like playing. When I was super busy, those moments that I could get to play were pure joy.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have any interest in putting together your own music to maybe make it more interesting and less of a chore

Or do you ever just noodle and experiment

I could see it maybe getting a little mundane learning other people’s songs

4. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

We all get into funks from time to time, and I’ve certainly had times where I feel like I’ve plateaued. I’ve even gone a number of months without playing—not from frustration necessarily, but certainly when life has gotten in the way.

One thing I’ve found keeps me into it is listening to new/unfamiliar music. Sure I can play basically all of the Beatles songs I want to, but maybe find something you don’t know as well (to listen to) and I think there’s a good chance the bug will be back.

Keep at it!

Deathray, Tommy Biggs, dannyh and 2 others like this.
  5. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Honestly I started playing because I was fascinated by shredders. After couple of months I realized "I'm too old for this ****" :D but I continued learning the "music" and music styles that I love and listen.

Tommy Biggs and Dereksys38 like this.
  6. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

No, almost never, I constantly fell that I'm not good enough to start playing other people's music. Actually I started learning and playing other people's music maybe 2-3 months ago but I'm constantly under impression, like, come on man Joe Walsh play this solo, you can't. :)

7. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

You say you don't feel "good enough." Good enough for what? What is your reason for learning the guitar? Are you planning on making a living as a guitarist? Are you playing for fun? It doesn't sound like you're enjoying yourself very much. Your practice schedule sounds more like military training!

I know you said you are not able to be in a band, but you should really reconsider. That might give some meaning to your reason for all that practice.

By the way, I listened to your playing. You're actually pretty good. I would work on getting my bends in pitch with the music and your general "feel." Also, tune your guitar!

SbS, prebend, crcic and 6 others like this.
  8. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

20 or so years ago, I was sort of in your spot. And when my church put out a call for their praise band, I offered to “...fill in until you find a real guitarist...”. I’m still there. I learned more about playing and music from playing with others than I EVER would have alone. And I learned to play bass, mandolin and a bit of Banjo along the way.

I might still be there because they haven’t found a real guitarist:eek:....but I do enjoy playing with that group. I’ve also had the opportunity to play with other groups, and enjoyed them (and wasn’t kicked out).

Point, you may be better than you think, and you’ll know when you have the opportunity to play with others on a regular basis.

9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I think a good instructor could help you. You don't have to spend a lot of time or money on lessons, once a month would be enough to give you more direction, new things to try, and earnest feedback on your progress. Give that another year, say 12-15 lessons, and I think you will surprise yourself.

Whatever you do, don't quit because you think those "shredders" are the ultimate (or only) worthwhile expression of music or guitar playing. Find the type of music that makes you happy to play, and write, and you will hopefully find yourself with a life-long passion that only brings you joy.

nojazzhere and teletail like this.
  10. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Maybe some time away from the instrument will help you. Do you have an end goal? In my case, my goal was to improve. It is a weird goal, but it works for me. Playing music is different for everybody. I've never enjoyed learning other people's songs. I like writing my own music. This isn't the right or wrong way, it is my way.

11. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

The fact that you have 2 years invested should not be a factor. There are lots of fun things to do out there; why make yourself do something you don’t want to do?

Music isn’t for everyone. But if you WANT to play, then do it. No matter how good you are, there is always someone better. Well, maybe not if you were Danny Gatton, but for we mere mortals, some is always better.

12. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

That's pretty good for 2 years playing. Your practice regimen seems to have worked.
    Perhaps it's time to ease off (although others may disagree). Perhaps for the next 2 weeks set your practice time to 15 minutes, and see what happens.
    Also .... perhaps time for self-reflection. What else in your life has started you on negative thoughts.

Age is irrelevant, unless you want to become a 'Rock God' (which won't happen).
    Again, probably time for reflection on what you want out of playing guitar. What is your goal? Rock God? .... won't happen. A crowd of fans? ... probably won't happen.

Perhaps a new regimen. Do you have an acoustic? Learn (just with your acoustic - no backing tracks etc) 5 new songs that you would like to play. Pick ones that are easy to play, then play and sing them until you can play them without referring to lyrics or sheet music. This way you have altered your regimen. Much of your problem may be around stagnation wrt your practice method.

crcic and AAT65 like this.
  13. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

If I were asked?....that's what I would suggest.
    It's good to look for & surround ourselves with those much better than ourselves.
    That's how we grow and get out of our comfort zone or stagnation box.
    I view this aspect of learning an instrument and one's desire to excel as an imperative.

But....that's just me....hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    BerkshireDuncan likes this.
  14. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

How was it that you decided to play guitar initially? Time for you to clarify what you want from your playing.

Tommy Biggs and nojazzhere like this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have a few suggestions for you, @crcic . They’re in no particular order. Try any of them or try none.

• Take a vacation. Take a week off. Playing guitar is work just like your day job. Sometimes you just need time off.
    • Do you know what kind of player you are or want to be? A lone singer with a guitar? Part of a band? A back line rhythm player? Find a gig or if you’re not ready yet, get yourself on a path to get there.
    • Jam. Play with others. Learn from them.
    • Take lessons. If you’re already taking lessons, find a teacher with a different perspective. I’m not saying cast anyone aside. When I was learning brass instruments in school, I had many teachers and ensemble directors and I learned from all of them.
    • Learn another genre. If you’re playing jazz, learn classical. If you’re playing rockabilly, learn blues.
    • Open your mind. Look forward not back. Never stay in one place too long.
    • Look back again. This isn’t a contradiction. I find that when I go back to music I played 50 years ago, I play and experience it differently. It’s like it’s new all over again. Keep at it and don’t give up so one day you have something that’s still a part of you to revisit.

16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Well after about four notes I could tell you can play but you didn't do the little whoop at the end haha who else noticed that! But seriously I thought you'd stink a lot more which is not to say that you stink at all. When I started I had nothing to show me in the way that we have now. I had to work up to a record player and manually moving it back. A Superscope tape player was the unattainable peak learning vessel that richer friends/acquaintances had. But I did have inspiration like my father belting out 300 tunes with four chords, and the occasional B,C & D minor thrown in, and and my Uncle Jerry who played Bass with only one Elvis at that time, and later tucking Elvis Costello in just for good measure. It looks like you got to find your inspiration...

crcic likes this.
  17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Everyone hits a plateau - several, really - in learning to play music.

When it happened to me in the 1970s, the fix was to start playing with other musicians, most of whom were better than I was. Nothing encourages you to learn and improve more than playing music with other people. It's a big step and it can be scary, but if you want to keep improving, that's the road you need to take.

18. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't quit. You're way too good to put it down. I second the pieces of advice given earlier... take a break for a week or two. Joe Satriani does this every year and says it makes him invigorated and inspired when he comes back to it. Refine your direction; learn a new style; play with other musicians.

19. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

If it isn't fun, don't do it. If you like playing, keep it up.

That's the great thing about guitar. You can decide for yourself how good you have to be.

Telecasterless and unfamous like this.
  20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I *know* how you feel, I don't recommend stopping too long.

I would try to find something you like better to play and hear and flex your creative muscles more. It doesn't have to be "good", or complicated or difficult.

Study and practice are very good, but you need to please yourself too.

These two thoughts might not apply to you, but they are helpful to me so I'll mention them -

Also you might try changing what you listen to. I think it's a mistake to only listen to the music that has guitar playing you admire, there is much more in the musical world than songs that feature guitar, and styles that are oriented to the guitar.

If you can find music that is compelling but not guitar-centric, it's worth figuring out what makes it compelling - and seeing how that could work for your playing.

P Thought, hnryclay and unfamous like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.