Should I stick with Cubase or start using....

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Big_Bend, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I started with Cubase LE4 that I got with a little Tascam Mk II unit.

Then I upgraded to the Tascam-US1800 and I switched to Cubase LE5. I bought the Cubase 5 book, good stuff, I learned a lot.

Unfortunately the LE5 version does not have a compressor or some other advanced recording features I've read about that I would like to start using.

So.... question is, since I'm familiar with Cubase, should I keep using it? Should I upgrade to the full version? Or is there some way I can get the LE5 version to do compression and other goodies that the full verion supports?

Or... is it time to start using Pro Tools or Logic or what? This is a long term major investment.

I'm just a hobby recording person doing this stuff at home for my personal use and occasionally to record band demos. What direction should I pursue?

Thx....

2. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

Check out Studio One by PreSonus. I think it is probably the best bang for the buck out there. There's even a pretty full-featured free version to play with.

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Just get the full version of Cubase since your already familiar with it. Why go to the trouble of learning a new DAW? A full version will cost you about $500 where Pro Tolls 10 will run you $700. Stick with what you know.

4. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

What kind of computer do you have? Logic only runs on the Mac. I have been happy with it and at $200 the price was right. But I tend to agree with vjf, unless you don't like cubase you should probably stick with it.

5. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Spend $60 bucks on Reaper. What you learned in Cubase won't go to waste, you'll adjust to the interface quickly. And I believe reaper has a lot of free plugin ins. http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I moved to the full version of cubase a couple of months after I used LE. It was well worth it. i know everybody have a preference but to me cubase is more like working in an analog studio like I had in the past. I liked reaper when I tested it too.

7. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

On a Mac it has to be Logic. It's unbelievably cheap for what it is, and sounds awesome. It will do anything you could possibly want, without you having to waste time scouring the internet for free or cheap extras. If you use an iPhone or iPad, you can use GarageBand iOS to sketch out songs then open in Logic for the full treatment later.

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses! I have a desktop PC, no mac. I'll check out Reaper, but seems like my best choice is to just upgrade to the full version of Cubase.

Thanks Old Cane for saying it is worth it! $500+ for software is a huge piece of change tho, I want to make sure before I commit the cash.

Take care...

9. mapletop

mapletop Tele-Meister

+1 for Reaper. I Switched from Cubase to Reaper and I've never looked back. Reaper has a really long free trial that is completely usable as well.

10. Old Cane

Well, I wasn't really digging the mediocre sounds in LE. I was thinking I'd been right all along; digital sounds like crap. The full version uses a different engine and it SOUNDS A LOT BETTER. Digital sounds pretty good these days.

When I tried Reaper the guy was making like 2 hot-fixes a day. It seemed stable enough but always looking for new updates was just too geeky even for a guy that runs a fortune 100 data center.

I can understand going from LE anything to Reaper. I can't understand someone with a full purchased version of any commercial DAW moving to reaper.

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This may be neither here nor there but a lot pro engineer/recordists use cubase and lately I've been seeing a few actually switch from pro-tools to Cubase 7.

12. Old Cane

13. 20721

20721 Former Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP - I need compression, dammit! - and while I've got a great compressor for the front end, it's nice to be able to tweak it on mixdown. So, thanks OP for the post, and thanks to all who suggested just manning up and getting the full version, I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

14. klasaine

15. OldG

OldG TDPRI Member

Reaper!

Pro standard DAW for $60 - no contest. I tried Cubase, Logic and Acid and much prefer Reaper....

It has studio quality comp and multiband included and will run most 3rd party plugs.

16. Old Cane

Radar is still being used quite a bit. Not sure how many "new" users there are but the people that bought in are using them until they die. My brother-in-law's drummer runs a truck with a couple of these and full console. I think that's mainly why he keeps him around.

And you guys recommending reaper, are you comparing the full version of cubase or logic? My partner uses logic and it sounds as good or better than cubase. It rocks. Just curious. If it's LE you tried then I'll probably agree with you. Are you going by actual audio output or price? There's a time and a place for both so I can understand if price. Ease of use? I think we're all smart enough to figure any of them out.

17. vjf1968

Well you were talking about Pro Tools and that costs a lot more. That $500 will give you everything you would need to do what you want. But the DAW is only the tip of the iceberg. Before you buy anything, make sure your computer is up to the task. How much RAM do you have? Do you have an external drive (or 2) to back up to? What kind of interface are looking for?

18. vjf1968

I think that Cubase 6.5, Logic 9, and Pro Tools are pretty much neck-in-neck as far as audio quality is concerned. The differences really are in the effects, amp sims, and other accouterments that are particular to that manufacturer.

19. klasaine

And after that it's a personal or industry driven choice.
    I know two engineers that prefer MOTU DP solely based on how it 'solos' tracks.

20. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

You don't neccessarily have to upgrade to the full version. There is Cubase Elements (or Essentials) and Cubase Studio. These versions are a step up from LE, don't cost nearly as much and unless you are a proffesional studio will probably have all that you need and more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.