1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I spend more than $1k on an amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Shinrock, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Should you buy a $1k+ amplifier? If you have the cash to spare and want to then why the heck not. Do you need to? No.

If you’re playing in a local band then frankly your bog standard Blues Junior, AC15, Hot Rod Deluxe or whatever will be fine to get the job done. Heck, a Boss Katana will do the job perfectly well. No one in a bar, not even the cork sniffing tone fiend nursing his real ale at the back would be able to tell the difference except by looking.

If you are a pro gigging and recording to a high level then maybe it’d be justified. But then I’ve seen at least one world famous band using Roland Cubes, so make of that what you will...

if your entire gig calendar comprises playing solo to tdpri tone fiends then it’d probably be justified. You’ll need a Twin and a JCM800.

Otherwise it’s personal choice. If I had the cash and space spare I’d probably get a Princeton Reverb Reissue - well over a thousand bucks this side of the pond. But could I tell the difference in quality of tone between that and the two home brew amps I use that cost me about £200 each? I doubt it...

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Put it this way, you should never spend more on a phone than you'd spend on an amp.
    Guitarists think that the guitar is the most important bit. It isn't, it's the speaker and the box it's mounted in.

3. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

In the whole equation of sound from your skill, pick, strings, scale, (tonewood??), pickups, pots, caps, cable, amp and the tubes in, speaker and box... the first and the last two have the greatest impact to the sound you are getting.

somebodyelseuk and Frodebro like this.
  4. Shinrock

Shinrock TDPRI Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm currently playing with the following bands in the Tampa Bay area. Feel free to follow us online to see our gig schedules.

www.facebook.com/infinitewayans/

www.facebook.com/themachinegunkellys/

5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I paid $500 for a 50 watt PRS H head and $850 for a 1980 Deluxe Reverb.

This was in the last 2 years.

A friend is delighted with her Quilter.

Shop around.

6. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Nope! A thousand bucks is more than enough money to cover the requirements you listed.. The bigger question is what do you want..

7. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

What about a Princeton Reverb RI? Beautiful clean tones and gets really nice at volume 5/6 and a great clean platform for an overdrive pedal. I tried loads of amps before settling on my Princeton 20200804_173515.jpg and a simple boss blues driver just for a little "edge" at low volumes:)

57fenderstrat likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with the search ...

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I find it difficult to find a new amp I want to bother with for under $2k, but there are still old amps I like for $1k or less. A lot of the old $600 amps are now close to $1k. I'm looking for a good gig combo now. About 10 to 15 watts, and must have the kind of tremolo I like. I need to find an ugly fender or an under appreciated vintage model of non-fender varieties.
    With so few options that are just barely under $1k, I'd have to answer your question yes.

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess the question really boils down to whether you want the features of the $1k amp more than you want the thousand dollars when you know that the $750 amp will do the job. My experience is that throwing money at a wish list rarely makes a person a better player, but it can sometimes quell a GAS issue and it's lot's of fun to play your acquisitions with your friends.

11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have to say, this may be one of the best “first threads” I’ve seen in quite a while. Kudos to the OP for posting it and members’ responses.

(It’s a nice reminder of why this forum is so good)

telemnemonics and Shinrock like this.
  12. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Chances are whoever tells you you need an expensive amp will also tell you their favorite guitarist would still sound great playing a toaster.

It's all about the playing and not the gear. One of my favorite guitarists is Steuart Smith and he's been getting it done with a PV Classic 50 and some Boss pedals for many years now.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

Sorry, I didn’t read 9 pages. I’ll suggest the Amp I have (I know it’s annoying when people do that but it’s really the most versatile and best sounding amp I’ve ever played) a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special. 2 footswitchable channels with a solo boost, each with their own eq, reverb and master volume. Each switchable between 5, 15 and 30 watts. Awesome cleans and great dirty sound. Takes pedals just as well as my deluxe reverb did. It’s pretty much the perfect amp and you’re looking around $1500 used. I traded two MiM Teles for one and it was definitely worth it. I honestly could be happy with just this amp and a delay pedal, but you know...pedals are super cool.

14. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

You can be the best player around but if you don't have reliable equipment you are screwed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

The Classic 50 is a pretty darn good sounding amp!

Walter Violette and Les H like this.
  16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Given your requirements and PA circumstances, I'd grab a new Hot Rod Deluxe IV. Fairly light in weight, easily replaced, and with versatility and decent sound. I'm not a big fan of the amp's distortion (YMMV), but your favorite pedals can also do that.

You can get a used HRD for much less, of course. I recommend new since it fits your budget and you won't have to make guesses as to how the amp was treated by its previous owner. It also will give you plenty of clean headroom if 15 watt amps have actually done ok for you in the past. Plus, the IV is slightly lighter than the older HRDs due to a ply cab instead of MDF.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  17. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Not fair! Great amp, but Tom Quayle makes anything sound great!

Alex_C likes this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You can have the most reliable and bulletproof equipment around, but if you can't play you're screwed

El Marin likes this.
  19. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I think we can all agree that reliable equipment and guitar playing skill are both fairly important.

to actually answer the original question, you don’t need to spend over $1000 but it wouldn’t hurt if you did.

20. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

It will only hurt your wallet :D

Joking aside - the law of diminishing returns applies to amps as well. The difference between a 3000€ amp and a 1000€ amp will be smaller then he difference between 300€ and 1000€. Anywhere between 800 and 1300 you will surely find an amp that will work for pretty much anything you need. Anything above is pretty much a willy waving exercise...

Roman4405 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.