1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I spend more than $1k on an amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Shinrock, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Shinrock

Shinrock TDPRI Member

That's very courteous of you to ask! I phrased it poorly, but the intention of my question was more philosophical than specific. In that regard, I'm thrilled with the engagement, conversation, and advice from the community.

I actually made a move based on the information shared here. I really thought about two factors:

1) What inspires me to play more?
    2) What's most practical for both practice and gigs?

Surprisingly, the answer for me was a Strymon Iridium. I'm totally inspired by its sounds, both at practice and gig volumes. And it's the most portable and reliable amp solution I could dream of. There's still a beauty in playing a loud, sweet tube amp, and I can imagine I'll get the itch to find a perfect one down the road, but my current needs are met by a tiny metal box.

Didn't see that coming, but couldn't be happier.

MilwMark and Tim S like this.
  2. C00lCat

C00lCat NEW MEMBER!

You should spend as much as it takes to get your desired tone...plain and simple
    (that doesn't mean a lot of $$$)

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I was pleased to see, in post 241, confirmation that the original question was, in fact, of a philosophical nature.
    My amplifier philosophy has always been to have, and bring, a good sounding, well maintained, tube amp of the appropriate size and output for the gig in question.
    For me, that meant the right size Fender.
    A study in extremes, a Princeton and a Twin were my traveling companions for years. Shopped for a Deluxe Reverb for years, went through a BF SR (too big and loud), a couple of BF Vibroverbs (still have one) two BF Bassman heads and finally a BF DR, which I also still have.
    Along the way, I wound up with a blonde Blues DeVille, a peavey Classic 30, a Pro Jr and three (!?!) Blues Jrs. Oh, one of those dang Hot Rod DeVilles, too.
    The only real reason I had for trying another amp after the Deluxe is realizing its monetary value and not wanting to risk it. It's obvious to me now that I could have bought at least one direct replacement for it, should it have been necessary, for what I have spent to supplant it.
    So, I suppose that I am saying, philosophically, is you have to make that journey for yourself. I have been thinking seriously about selling some things, which I haven't considered in a while, and buying a $2-3000 boutique. Then I plug a P-90 into a cranked Blues Jr and I can't quit grinning.
    There are others.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.