Should i sell my pro tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ben kenobi, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ben kenobi

Ben kenobi TDPRI Member

Short story... there was this baja and we were in love. I ended up dumping her because where i live the temprature changes often and i have to adjust the truss rod about 4 times per year. The truss rod placement caused me a bit of trouble as i dont like removing the neck on any guitar.
    I recently bought a pro, which i like but do not love. It looks awesome, plays ok and sounds pretty good with my setup. It doesnt have the 'cant wait to plug it in' feeling.
    The two things that are stopping me selling it and buying another baja are:
    1. The prestige of a usa made guitar.
    2. Did i get a really good baja the first time round and will a new one be the same?

I have heard that peices of ash can be very different and that causes hesitation.

Any thoughts appretiated! Thanks

Heyitsmejoeg likes this.
  2. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

My baja was outstanding. Only negatives were that it was bit heavy, and I prefer rolled fretboard edges.

Have you seen the little adjustment tool that stew mac sells for truss rod adjustment? Only need to remove pick guard.

Kreepy and Ben kenobi like this.
  3. Ben kenobi

Ben kenobi TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info , ill check the neck tool out

4. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Hello Ben.....I am surprised that you find temperature change 4 times per year is creating a problem in the UK

Timber movement [in instruments] is really more inter twined with radical changes in humidity or moisture content within the timber

If either were the case, there would be literally tens of thousands of guitar players in the all UK suffering the same situation

1. So you dumped your first Baja Tele due to neck movement, however you say that it [your] first Baja Tele was really good
    2. You feelings for your Tele Pro are undefined??......does this suffer neck movement due to temperature change?
    3. Do you need two Telecasters?

My 71' Tele seems to have coped with yearly temperatures of 20 to 42C, and humidifies from 12 to 96% without any neck movement at all.......the truss rod has not required adjustment since new

Just re-reading this, I think a few sessions with a Luther [or equivalent of a musical marriage counsellor] with your Tele Pro may be to your advantage! & by all means let your heart out in the words of your Baja x 4 times per year neck adjustment

Derek

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Ben kenobi likes this.
  5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The only neck I ever had that varied was very thin and left out round the house all year

I got a cheap hard case - temperature and humidity seem stabilised and no problem

I presume you were playing a 60s Baja as the 50s has a neck like a ballustrade? I can't imagine one bending even holding up a roof

Every Baja I played seemed consistent but I only played about 8. Only way to make sure is play it first

Ben kenobi likes this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Get an amateur tele. :p

Seriously, I can understand temperature and humidity changes, but unless you only keep your guitar outside you shouldn't have to adjust the neck 4 times a year unless there was something wrong with it.

Ben kenobi likes this.
  7. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

Keep it in the case and you should have less maintenance. I like having guitars hanging but got tired of them needing more adjustments.

Ben kenobi likes this.
  8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Get another Baja, I have two Fifties Bajas, great guitars, never had to adjust the necks on either one, they play great, sound great and I can’t say enough good things about them, and they do have that pick me up and play me vibe !

Ben kenobi likes this.
  9. Ben kenobi

Ben kenobi TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies/advice. I should have specified that the house i live in had broken heating and no double glazing (since the baja both are fixed).
    I used to have my gear in the spare bedroom and when i played i had a heater next to me.
    Yearly the temp could go from about -3° to 30° and that had an affect on all my guitars necks. Not too drastic but enough to cause fret buzz or a overly high action.
    Im not the best player out there but i like my setup reasonable.
    Also i think the soft v profile and gloss neck was the reason i loved the baja so much.
    Sorry for not being more specific.

10. Piggy Stu

Next admit you played it in the bath... after playing it in the sauna:lol::lol::lol:

11. Piggy Stu

How much difference in a pair of 50s Bajas?

When people ask me why I have so many different guitars, I can say it is like a pair of trainers/boots/flip flops etc

Not sure I could say that with 2 bajas if they were both 50s. Can they be more than a nudge of the tone knob apart?

12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I never bonded with the Baja I had for several reasons and returned it. The Am Pro I had was fantastic except for the pickups and the Deep C not being as fat as I was hoping. If it was a little more like a U shape I would still have it and it would have another set of pickups. I'd say keep the Am Pro, throw a new set of pickups in and do a proper setup as needed. A set of CS Texas Specials or a set of Pure Vintage '52 pickups for example. The Am Pro has a vastly superior truss rod system.

Ben kenobi likes this.
  13. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I would keep it

Ben kenobi likes this.
  14. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about other people, but I gotta have a fat neck like on the Baja 50s. And I have relatively small hands.

Ben kenobi likes this.
  15. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Every time I sell something, I inevitably pay be for it. I sold a bass once, and was able to get it back a year later. Punk kid bought a 5 string and didn’t need 2 basses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.