Should I replace the grill cloth on my Twin?

Should I replace the cloth?

• Yes

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 80.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ed Boyd

Tele-Afflicted
My amp looks like dung. A lot of this will clean up. The production date in April 1965. Should I replace the grill cloth as part of a rebuild?

Twin1_zps9ba922ef.jpg

Twin2_zpse85d155e.jpg

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes, but remove and keep the original cloth/panel intact, store it, and buy a new grill and panel from Mojotone (aged). I replaced the rusty hardware on my old 1966 Twin Reverb but kept all the original hardware just in case.

Your amp would clean up nicely.

My '66 with original grill cloth, new Fender hardware, a good cleaning, contact cement on torn tolex, a black Sharpe, and some TLC. Wish that I never sold that amp even after doubling my money with a very minimal semi-restoration investment.

Attachments

• DSC01945.jpg
    DSC01945.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC01959.jpg
    DSC01959.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC01956.jpg
    DSC01956.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC01957.jpg
    DSC01957.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 363

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A great amp. Don't let it go. Added a few more pictures to see how my amp turned out.

wwit

Tele-Holic
That 'dung' is Mojo. Personally I wouldn't replace, but its your amp and either way its going to look great.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Meister
I vote no, but the Mojotone aged stuff probably wouldn't look out of place if you spruced up the rest of the cab accordingly. You could probably even get that grill cloth clean; there are a few how-to threads here and on TGP. The previous owner of my Pro Reverb already replaced the rusted hardware; I took it a couple steps further by cleaning the tolex with a non-silicon-based automotive interior cleaner, removed the knobs from the front panel and used some Meguiars "cleaner" wax on the faceplate, and it's looking pretty respectable. Still plenty of mojo, less grime.

16146436261_e360560286_b.jpg

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/503838-best-way-clean-vintage-grill-cloth.html

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My personal thoughts....I would not put new hardware on that amp, Ed. Hit the chrome with some steel wool and SimiChrome polish. Clean the tolex with some soap suds and cloth. Reglue any loose tolex...elmer's wood glue works well and quickly.....use masking tape to hold the tolex down while the glue dries. I do not color any exposed wood....looks cheap to my eye. Make sure that the cabinet joints are firm.
I don't shine tolex up, either....again, these amps never looked like that even when they were new. Pull the baffleboard, vacuum the cloth well. then, with soap suds....use a medium stiffness brush and scrub the cloth in all directions...wipe with a clean cloth......vacuum again after drying. You might be surprised by what the old amp will look like....and it will look genuine.
My money would go to the circuit and the tubes. An old Fender that is intact but looking well-used that sounds fantastic is the ticket...not some shiny thing that will never look 'real' again.....that coloring of bare wood is a prime point as is the hardware that doenst' match the amp's look. I see it from yards away...and I don't like it when I am buying. I don't recover vintage amps or replace grille cloth only when the original is gone or almost gone. I have experienced what the real market thinks of such things. But..then....there are younger guys in the market who don't pay attention to such points...they are giving good money for shiny looking things that have the true value missing....both on a cosmetic and a functional level...so I may be outside the current market. But...IF I were looking at your amp, Ed or the one that is shiny with new hardware and colored wood, I would pick yours....if they sounded the same.
FWIW, I don't like it when older women---or men, nowadays--- can't find it within themselves to age gracefully and naturally and have to undergo 'renovations' to look like something they never looked like anyway. I am not attracted to 'blow-up dolls', either...except as a freak show sometimes when they go too far!! LOL
Imho, you have a good looking amp there...used, but it will clean up nicely with minimal effort.
The other side....if you want a new looking amp....retolex it, regrille it, get new hardware, make the circuit correct and fresh, put good tubes in it....and enjoy. I would give you as much or more for it as it is than I would after you do all of that, though.

orangedrop

Friend of Leo's
Wally,
You beat me to the Simichrome and wool.

Did the hardware on my Deluxe with this stuff and a little bronze cup brush on a Dremel at low speed... Off the amp of course.

The metal came up looking almost new, but the plating is much heavier and richer looking than the OM hardware that came with a replacement handle.

Armor All looks way too shiny for me on any stuff, and apparently will eventually destroy a dash on a car.

There is a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant that is water based acrylic, and does not leave a shiny, greasy film.

The stuff does look great on a vintage cars, and should be excellent for Tolex.

Is there a trick to washing the grille cloth and keeping the baffle from getting wet?

Marshall_Stack

Friend of Leo's
I vote no, but the Mojotone aged stuff probably wouldn't look out of place if you spruced up the rest of the cab accordingly. You could probably even get that grill cloth clean; there are a few how-to threads here and on TGP. The previous owner of my Pro Reverb already replaced the rusted hardware; I took it a couple steps further by cleaning the tolex with a non-silicon-based automotive interior cleaner, removed the knobs from the front panel and used some Meguiars "cleaner" wax on the faceplate, and it's looking pretty respectable. Still plenty of mojo, less grime.

16146436261_e360560286_b.jpg

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/503838-best-way-clean-vintage-grill-cloth.html

That thing defines mojo. Just looks badass and loud. Must scare the tubes out of the other amps.

Abu Twangy

Friend of Leo's
Sure--but maybe you shouldn't listen to me.;)

Back in 1971-1972 I "created" a '68 Twin Reverb with blue paisley burlap grillcloth and a mutant '68 Bassman modded for four 6L6GCs with a Showman OT and switchable tone stacks for Fender and pseudoMarshall tone Looked sharp with matching orange burlap on the speaker cabinet and head.:eek:

Well, at the time I thought it looked sharp and I never expected that old equipment would ever become valuable.

Just buy a complete Twin Reverb repro cabinet and put the old one into a safe storage area.

My photo playing bass back in 1972 was after I "fixed" the Twin and before I had gotten around to doing the improvements to the Bassman.

Marshall_Stack

Friend of Leo's
My amp looks like dung. A lot of this will clean up. The production date in April 1965. Should I replace the grill cloth as part of a rebuild?

Is that rust on the cloth? Or blood? (Where is Dexter when you need him?) I could see wanting to tone down those stains. I used Shout on the grill cloth from an Ampeg 4x12 cab that a bass player left at my parents' house. After 25 years they were moving and he had vanished.

That looks like a fun weekend project. Take off all the hardware and soak it in some rust removing product. I second the Dremel with the metal bristle brush. I just used a vice to hold the pieces and went through them doing the best I could - without getting crazy about it. The effect when it was all put back together was a huge improvement - but still looked like it had been around the block. Then I sold it - not going to be playing any of those gigs anymore :rolleyes:
Bummer.

Ed Boyd

Tele-Afflicted
I guess it is rust. I put the amp in storage around 92 with some other gear.

Recently I was wanting a Mesa Lonestar that is sort of a blackface twin on steroids and growth hormones. My amp man who is also the Mesa dealer said I would be amazed if he rebuilt the old Twin and it would be much less than buying a new amp. I've seen a lot of his rebuilt vintage stuff. It will sound better than new when he is done.

I got the amp out of storage and my heart sank. It didn't look this bad back in 91. Must have gotten moisture because the exterior hardware rusted and the grill discolored. :oops: The chasis and transformers look fine however.

I don't know what it sounds like now. It sounded good when I last played but was starting to get noisy. The shop has the amp. He told me not to start the amp without a variac and just bring it in.

I texted him today told him not to order grill cloth and that I was not sure about replacing it. I originally told him I would like it to look nice. He told me it was an item he keeps Fender cloth on hand and not to worry that yet. I don't want to do anything that needlessly crushes any value it may have.

Like muchxs said "You're only original once."