Should I pull the trigger on an early 70s Super reverb?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I've been casually keeping my eye open for a Super Reverb for a year now. I'm looking to find one at a good price, and I don't urgently need the amp, since I have two other Fender SF amps I love. One Super Reverb came up in my area for $1200, which includes a Calzone flight case (that the guy selling says it's worth $300) and a foot pedal.

All 4 speakers look original. Cosmetically, it's a little frayed and beat up, but I don't really care too much. It sounds nice, but do I really need it? I already have a 70s Twin Reverb and Princeton reverb. Can't make up my mind, looking for some insight.

Last edited:

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
The PT looks pretty beat up, such that I can't find the date code. And I'm not sure I know how to read the code on the choke, it's 606-8-11
20220618_151453.jpg

20220618_151447.jpg

Last edited:

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
If you have the funds and want it why not, a Super Reverb sounds a lot different than your other two amps. That amp appears to have the CTS alnico 10" speakers which sound great if they are in good condition. The Super Reverb is a bulky awkward amp to move around, top heavy, but they sound great.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
My primary hesitancy when dealing with vintage amps is the shape that the tubes and speakers might be in. The speakers can be replaced easy enough, but some of those tubes are getting hard to find. I would check for availability of both before jumping into any deal. And if you have a technician that can do a point by point check of the circuitry, that would be something to think about.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
It sounds nice, but do I really need it? I already have a 70s Twin Reverb and Princeton reverb. Can't make up my mind, looking for some insight.
Could probably flip it without losing or possibly a small profit later if you decided not to keep it. The price isn't bad if it's in working condition but my experience is your preferred tech should give it a check up. I have good things to say about JJ 6L6's which is all I use in my Twins along with ECC803s gold pin JJ 12ax7's for the main driver tube or whatever.

If the PT doesn't have gunk leaking from it it's probably fine. Maybe offer a grand or 1100 cash out the door since you don't need it unless this is a retail deal. There is no wrong answer. I wouldn't trade my Twin on one but it's still a great amp no doubt.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like very early 70's Super, floating baffleboard.
Can you elaborate on that? I rushed in my checkup and I forgot to check the baffle. What does floating mean? Does that mean it's screwed in and it's possible to remove it? Or is it one of those glued ones?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
yes, with the BF style cab that it seems to have you should buy it if you want a Super. They are such great (but big) amps!

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Can you elaborate on that? I rushed in my checkup and I forgot to check the baffle. What does floating mean? Does that mean it's screwed in and it's possible to remove it? Or is it one of those glued ones?
Yes, it's a Blackface style cab only made in the first couple years of SF amps with a removable baffle. It's a BIG plus and so are the alnico speakers.
Amp prices are up, otherwise I would say that's too much $ for a SF, but I doubt they will go down. Everything keeps going up and you sure cant buy that kind of thing anymore.

The choke code appears to be '68... or '78? The 8 is the year in a decade, the 11 is the week of that year it was made.

Does the amp front have the aluminum trim around the speaker grille?

If the speakers sound good they are good.

The Tung Sol power tubes appear to be pretty new as they haven't made those reissues that long.

Last edited:

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Great amp but make sure it doesn't need a bunch of work. That can really add up and make sure you have access to a good tech.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
In my opinion, CTS Alnico speakers are the best speakers for a Super Reverb.

I would offer a $1000 and see if the seller bites. Perhaps, $1200 seems a little bit high for a little frayed early ‘70s SR. The fight case is a nice addition if you gig, if not, it’s just something else to store.

If the amp is a ‘68 or ‘69 drip edge SR, $1200 would seem more in line. Two years ago I paid $900 for a nice ‘69 SR. Later, I traded the ‘69 back to the same store for an early ‘68 black-line, drip-edge SR for an additional $300.

Supers are great sounding amps.

Last edited:

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!

Yes, what little codes we see - plus the screwed-in baffle-board - makes me think it's a ´68/´69 Super.
It would be great if we could see a pic of the front and back - and possibly the serial-#...
But anyhow - the price seems very fair to me!
I´d also offer $1000 w/out the road-case - who needs a 30 lbs road-case with a 60 lbs amp 😉

As for the shape/maintainance - yes, an amp this old should be checked by a competent tech.
Usually it's just a safety-check to find, and correct, any issues. Mostly within the $1-200 range.

Hi gridlock!
... Two years ago I paid $900 for a nice ‘69 SR ...

I´m surprised that you can still find these amps in the US below $1000 - but, of course, that's good news 👍

cheers - 68.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
If the PT doesn't have gunk leaking from it it's probably fine.
I really want to pop the chassis open and take a look inside, but I'm afraid to ask. I'm very confident in my ability to do it safely, I've done it hundreds of times on my own amps, but I've had a previous seller freak out at me for even asking to do that. This guy tells me the amp has been checked over by a tech, but it would make me feel much better if I could check on the health of the PT, see if the caps are really old, see if there's anything else waiting for me inside.

Another thing I noticed, the amp has a rattle only at high volume. I imagine that is somewhat normal, cause my Twin does it too, but it's something I'd like to fix. My twin does it because of the back panel