1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I prime???

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bubba105, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

I just made a basswood body, which I used for it's lightness (3.86 lbs), since it's going in my luggage. Wow, is that stuff soft, I look at it from across the room & it dents. I'm thinking I'll wrap it inside all my t-shirts. Might not have been the right choice. Anyway, I'm planning on bringing it to Cozumel, Mexico to have it spray painted by an artist I met there. These guys do outrageous work with a spray can. I'm wondering, should I prime the body before & if so, what should I use? I've got it baby butt smooth & I figure if I spray a few coats, I have time to let it dry & sand it back. I'm set up for spraying but a rattle can would be preferable. Cleaning up for this would be a PITA.

We'll deal with how to finish it when/if it makes it home. Pretty sure nitro is out!?!

Thanks,

Richie

2. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

I really like the idea of having a street artist or whatever do a custom body. Very original. I'd clear it with whatever they use for their art.

I'd also vote for priming to give them a nice fresh canvas.

3. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Exactly what it is, a street artist. They make tropical scenes that are out of this world with spray paint. I watched him working the last time I was there (scuba diving), this guy has mad skills. I asked him if he thought he'd be able to do a guitar. His eyes lit up.

I had read on here a while back about priming with something in a rattle can before spraying paint, I just don't recall what it was the guy was using. I guess I'll see what's available at the depot.

Thanks

Richie

4. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

If you prime it and ding it enroute, I think you would have a more difficult time getting it back to smooth. If he is using canned spray paint, then I would assume you can pick up a can of primer wherever he gets his paint. Pack a sheet of sand paper and your good. This way if the luggage handlers don't treat you baggage with care *shock*, you can use the hotel iron to get out the dings.

But I am one of the least experienced guys here.....just seems like a good idea. Good luck and post a pic when you get it done!

Sent from my DROIDX using TDPRI

5. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

If he's using cans it could be Enamel because there are more colors available.

So if you prime , I would go with Kilz original , it will work under enamel and lacquer.

6. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Thank you Bluej58, it was Kilz. I was thinking that was what I remembered reading but second guessed myself. The paint must be enamel because people buy his paintings a short while after he's done painting them. They dry quickly. What type of laquer would be compatable with enamel?

Parsaver, this thing is going to be wrapped in cardboard, inside all my t shirts, in my carry-on. I can't wait to see the TSA guy's face when it goes thru the x-ray machine. Something I didn't think of is bringing sand paper in case I get a bump. It should be alright, hopefully.

That's why this place is so great. When you put a subject out there you get to see things from a bunch of different perspectives.

7. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

I would not mix lacquer and enamel, although you might get away with a lacquer clear coat, it' not worth risking it IMHO .
    Please post some pics when you get back.
    JD

8. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

+1 on pics when its done!

Sent from my DROIDX using TDPRI

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

You definitly

Need a smooth and flat work surface for the art work. The artists paints should be compatible since he/she uses them together to create the art. The Kills primers are white which gives the artist a great basecoat to color over. WARNING!! You can expect great difficulty in keeping anything you wrap it in from sticking to it and ruining the art work. While seemingly dry to the touch, the enamel spray paints take a long long time to dry completely. I would "stand-off" mount the body to a 1/4 plywood base and top with all thread bolts thru two of the neck pocket holes and two screws into the bridge area followed by a small block at the heel where the strap button will go. This is a ton of work but you could do all this BEFORE you leave. This way you wont risk damage either going to or coming back from your trip.
    Now that you have it back safe and sound, you can get yourself a can of clear "U-Pol" aerosol from an auto paint store. This stuff is compatable with spray can enamels if they are fully cured a week or two. It will give you a very hard and smooth, crystal clear wet look. I would recommend a single full wet coat followed by a wet sanding to level followed by another full wet coat. You probably wont need to buff it as it looks very good as is but you can if need be. The U-POL is a urethane spray designed for high dollar mag wheels.
    You are welcome to PM me if you need more help.
    Good luck on your project and be sure to show it to us when you are done.
    Rob

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

I guess I could build a little briefcase type deal to suspend the body in. I figured since I'm having the paint job done on Sunday & I'm not leaving until the next Sunday, that it would dry, being in the A/C in the room for a week. Live & learn. Thanks for setting me straight. I was actually thinking of looking for a rattle can of poly to spray a seal coat on the paint job after a few days. I'm probably going back in December. If it looks bad for travel maybe I'll leave it with my friend who runs the hotel.

Thanks again

Richie

11. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Back from Cozumel, here are some photos of the painting process. Haven't posted a photo in a while so I'll just put up the front & back in white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

OK, figured that out, here we go.

The Artist begins
    [​IMG]

Drying the paint
    [​IMG]

Using a circle to mask the sun
    [​IMG]

For sun beams he sprays onto the cardboard & the beams are the overspray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unbelievable
    [​IMG]

13. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Drying the paint again
    [​IMG]

One or two minutes & he can lay the body down on the painted side.
    [​IMG]

After spraying a few different colors on top of each other he uses a piece of crumpled newspaper...
    [​IMG]

does this...
    [​IMG]

and gets this.
    [​IMG]

He uses stencils to paint the fish
    [​IMG]

14. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

What a great one of a kind guitar.

15. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

He uses a ball point pen to move paint around & get details.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He adds birds & dolphins in the sun.
    [​IMG]

Final drying
    [​IMG]

Finished.
    [​IMG]

From walking up, saying hello, to walking back to the cab stand, 20 minutes. This guy is amazing. $25 US, I gave him $40 & bought him a coke. If you notice, the dark blue wasn't painted all the way around the sides so I asked if he could do that for me. Without any overspray hitting the front or back, it took him 10 seconds, no drips. So far I haven't sprayed anything without drips, ever.

I'm bringing a body every time I go there. I made a little box with a slide on top & the body suspended inside. Don't know that I needed it but it's made so I'll probably continue to bring the body in the box, it fits in my carry-on bag.

16. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

Here's a close-up of the finished body. 20 minutes, honest. I couldn't do this in 20 years. I'm actually thinking of having a friend who does car painting finsh this for me since I am the king of drips. Someday I'll let go of the trigger on time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell you the truth I was 6 inches off the ground when I left this guy. I meant to get his email to set up another paint job but I forgot. I may be going back in December. I'll get his contact info in case anyone wants to have a one of a kind painted. Lots of cruises stop for the day in Cozumel & that's plenty of time.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That looks AWESOME!

Maybe you should fit it with black hardware so it doesn't distract from the paint job.

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

AMAZING!!!

19. telemaster1953

telemaster1953 Tele-Holic

very cool.

20. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know how I missed this, WOW that is cool!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.