Should I order some cheap pedals to play with?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by skitched, Mar 20, 2020.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Thats great advice, but I'll go one further. Being a beginner, you could get a Boss ME-20 to do the same thing and still have plenty of money left over for a Ditto looper, which would allow you to work on folding the scales you may be learning into the chords you are learning. Its also a way to make your practice more fun.

I bought a ME-20 as kind of a sampler platter back in the day and it really helped me refine my pedal choices later on. There's a few effects on it that are really good, a lot that are only adequate but none are unuseable. And those things are very cheap now.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

My bad. I didn't mention the looper on the ME 25. There's actually a lot of things on there that didn't get mentioned. Thought the op could find out for himself. Glad you brought it up.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I wouldn't recommend "cheap" pedals...get some good quality pedals that you can use for a long time on your journey. There are many good, for example, BOSS pedals, that sound great, aren't expensive, and will be usable for you no matter how far you go. Maybe start with a Boss DS-1 or Fulltone OCD...

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a very expensive noise gate that I haven't used more then twice. Theoretically I still have it, but no idea where it might me. Don't waste your money on expensive pedals just to play on the couch. Buy cheap, refine your tastes, then spend money on the few pedals you think you need. You can't make informed choices without more information, and experience.

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  5. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

A decent used multi-effects pedal will allow you to get familiar with various effect and learn which ones you will actually use.

I started with them and got good mileage out of them. When I began buying individual pedals, I had a much better idea which effects I was looking for and how to use them.

7. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I bought the guitar center variant (probably just changed the model name and raised the price) of the big spender, I think. It's called the Money Laundry and it's fun and sounds great. My only complaint was the two switches are too close together, but for like under $40 bucks, it's been at least 10 afternoons of fun. That's like a bargain matinee from the 80s value.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the looper. One of the benefits is learning how not to overdo the overdubs, but to leave some space.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  9. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

A single multi effects unit may be the perfect way to jump in with both feet.

Or...

A multi effects pedal might be a little much for a first timer. I know it would've been for me. The nice thing about pedals is you can pick them up and work on understanding them one at a time.

Personally, I'd start off with a Boss SD-1. It's a top notch quality dirt pedal. The danelectro money series mentioned before is great, and TC Electronics makes a great series that sells for 40-50 apiece on the used market. Personally, that's what I'd recommend learning on.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

I would start with a good high-value practice amp. At the time I started with electric guitar the goto was the Fender Mustang I v.2, it was $100 out the door with tons of tone options. I still use it a lot. Almost all of the major brands have small practice amps to choose from -- so take your pick. For a first pedal consider a looper, it will help with your timing and allow you to start layering guitar parts on the fly.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.