Should I order some cheap pedals to play with?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by skitched, Mar 20, 2020.

1. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I’m only a little over 3 months into playing guitar, so maybe it’s too early to bother with pedals, but if I were to buy a couple cheap pedals which ones would you suggest?

2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

Take a look at the Boss ME 25.
    It's only 2 bills but has a lot of the Boss fx, od and dist plus chorus, flange, verb, echo and modeling samples, wah\vol pedal, boost.

Thats a lot of NOT cheap pedals for $200. A lot of good single pedals can be at least half that and you're only getting one fx.
    Check it out

985plowboy likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 1st two pedals were a Big Muff Pi and a Boss phase shifter, in that order back in 1980 or 81. I had a lot of fun with them, and could make some cool sounds without getting myself into something uncontrollable. You can easily score something similar with the vast array of inexpensive imported mini pedals available.
    Experiment, buy, sell, and trade pedals with your friends. IMO, that is really the best way to learn pedals.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Look at the offerings on Tomtop, Banggood et al. Tom'sline, Aroma, Ammoon and a host of others offer 'replica' circuits in mini pedal format for the price of a cinema ticket.
    Delay and overdrive are a good start. If your amp has reverb, use it ( subtly ). Tremolo is great fun, and can be a good learning tool too. Play your scale/strum your chord in time to the tremolo.
    Fuzz can be great fun.

A Digitech Trio+ or a Beat Buddy/SDrum may provide hours of entertainment too.

Agitator likes this.
  6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

7. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I started with a multi fx back in the day. Served me well for many years.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

This isn't the 80s anymore. You are fortunate to have much better multi fx stuff now and very cost effective.

I second the idea of something like the boss me80. They are pretty cheap used. Sound good enough and super versatile . Then you can decide what works for your sound and start blowing your money on boutique stuff.

Is your amp a modeler? Those often have tons of fx. Maybe buy a boss katana? Great beginner amp!

Shuster likes this.
  9. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

But to answer your question directly, we'd need to know your existing set up and style /genre.

You say you might want pedals... But why?

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Whatever you get, wipe 'em down with alcohol first.

Pro Tip: beer is not an option here :cool:

11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I decided to buy pedals, many are "cheap" (in fact, I ordered two yesterday after searching Reverb pedals for <$75)...additionally, I purchased some Donner pedals that were good for super prices a few months ago. There are a great many options. Truthfully, I got caught up in the GAS, tinkering and comparison shopping when I should have been practicing...the saving grace is I have money set aside for this stuff.

That said, a good multi FX would have probably served me as well and been cheaper--lots of options in one box. With separate pedals, you end up wanting/needing peripherals (board, cables, power supplies...more pedals). Think about where you are and where you may be, both financially and in technical proficiency in a year or so...it may help your decision.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  12. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A second hand multi-effects pedal is a good place to start.
    You get to try all the different effects to find which ones you like.

WARNING: You do understand the risk of accumulating lots of pedals, in pursuit of "that" sound?

13. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Go for it. Only thing I'd say is go second hand boss rather than new Chinese. It's a little bit more but boss make great gear, is indestructible and will hold it's value.
    Unless you get the Chinese stuff for seriously cheap that is.

Agitator, TokyoPortrait and Shuster like this.
  14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Only thing I can say is don’t wait as long as me to try flange!

cyclopean likes this.
  15. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There is a Danelectro line of smaller, less expensive pedals that I've been interested to try, they go by names of Cash Cow, Billion Dollar Boost, Big Spender, Pride of Texas etc. I can't vouch for them sound-wise, but they sure look cool and go for the $50-55 range new from what I see. Check em out online and read the reviews and what effect each one does. Good luck and have fun!

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought the whole set (dealer display)...very good pedals from what I can tell. $175 plus tax, new (includes plexiglass board, power supply and power cables, and patch cables...plug it in and go).

IMG_0818.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  17. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

Zoom MS50G or 100BT

You won’t need another pedal for years after.

Frontier9 likes this.
  18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Please consider the Boss GT-1. Ita lot of effects for your money as it almost costs like one pedal.

Here's my demo:

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  19. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

My advice is
    (Edited after some thought)

If I didn't have reverb on the amp, or a large practice space with satisfying room reflections, Id get it first. A totally dry sound gets under my skin.

Next buy a simple looper, like the Ditto. Great practice tool. Since its a mini pedal you'll need power, so get a One Spot, and you also have power for your next few pedals.

Next pedal would be a gain pedal of some kind. You don't say what genre you prefer and what kind of guitar & amp you have, so its hard to say what kind of gain pedal. A PreAmp, Boost, OD, Distortion, or Fuzz could all be an option depending on your set up and what kind of music you want to pursue.

Then an analog delay.

With a fairly versatile OD pedal, reverb, delay, and a looper for practice you can cover a lot of ground.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Multi fx is good for learning what you like. Zoom g3n is cheap and sounds great. Otherwise, you could pick up a few joyo pedals for cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.