1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I leave a message?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HoodieMcFoodie, Aug 16, 2012.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

I received a text message on my mobile (cell) phone the other night from a number I didn't recognise. I opened the message and it read, "Wats goin on Phil.." (which happens to be my name). Like I said I didn't recognise the number and I don't hand my number out willy nilly, so I cautiously texted a reply asking "Who is this?" A reply came back a few minutes later simply reading "Corey".

I don't know anyone by the name of Corey, so I didn't pursue it any further. Fast forward to the next day and I'm telling a work colleague about this and she goes "What's the number?" so I give her the number.

Here in Australia if you want to disable caller ID when you call someone you prefix their number with 1831. So she dials "Coreys" number with the 1831 prefix and listens for a while, then she gets this real weird look on her face and hangs up. "What happened? I asked and she goes "Dial it yourself"

I dial the number. It rings for a while and then this voice that can only be described as demonic says "Leave A Message" then a weird cry. I was instantly reminded of that youtube dude Fadades.

I'm tempted to leave a message on his phone, and was thinking of something along the lines of "Feed Your Cat".

So what message should I leave? What message would you leave if you had the devils phone number?

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't. Stirring a kettle of crazy is never a good idea.

3. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

Tell him that someone there ordered seven hundred and fifty thousand 30 ton package unit air conditioners and you just need to verify the shipping address. :lol:

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Forget it, & block the number. Life is crazy enough as is

5. Schmikey

Schmikey Tele-Holic

+1

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd invite him round for a few beers.

7. HoodieMcFoodie

I should add that the number he called from was a mobile (cell) number, so there's no guarantee that he lives in my town. There's also a possibility that he mis-dialed the number and co-incidently got someone called Phil. I suppose there's also the possibility that I do know him, but I doubt it.

I'm not saying I'm going to leave a message, so I guess the question "What message would you leave?" is a hypothetical one. I was hoping for a few more creative answers, other than "don't".

8. HoodieMcFoodie

Do you want his number? ;)

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

some 20 years ago, I received a call late at night, from a VERY demonic voice, claiming to be my deceased father.

I suspected (& still do) my psychotic ex-girlfriend, - whether her directly or someone she pushed to call - we had just had a messy brake up some time ago.

10. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Same thing happened to me ages ago Hoodie - some collection agents rang me up asking why I didnt feel like paying my mortgage on a property in Melbourne. Because I answered with " Hello Simon speaking" & the guy who wasn't paying his mortgage had the same 1st name, I had a hell of a time trying to tell the guy I'd never been to Melbourne, let alone owned a house / wasnt the Simon he was after.

I also got some dirty text messages from a girl one Christmas day - no idea who it was ,that was a hoot! :)

11. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Play an ABBA song to his voice mail.

12. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I never reply to messages like that. There is a scam here where you do that and get charged ten pounds or something. Scumbags are finding so many ways of scamming us these days.

13. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

Sorry Phil. I thought you'd think that was funny.

BTW - do you know how difficult it was to get an Australian cell number? And costly. Ah well.

[expletive deleted]! Wrong thread again.

14. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Tell him you were at the crossroads all night, and got tired of waiting

15. mal paso

mal paso Banned

^top that, chumps!:lol:

16. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

How does texting work? What I mean is...do you have to pay a fee if someone texts you and you don't have any idea who it is? If that's the case, then text messaging is one big rip off.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you...a conspiracy.

17. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I've gotten a few "spam" texts lately, I tend to ponder on it a bit then delete. My latest one was from a 203 area code, which is CT...and I happen to have a friend there. The text said, your friend has the perfect car for you, click here to check it out! Ummm, first rule of the internet, DO NOT CLICK WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. I deleted.

emu - It all depends on what plan you subscribe too...mostly you'd get let's say 250 or 500 texts per month, if you go over, then you start to pay. But some plans have unlimited, etc.

18. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Hoodie,... you didn't get my call?

:D

Seriously,...
    +1 on the big ol' spam scam.

Text messages here can cost around $0.22 each if you're not on a plan. However if you text some numbers (which is a part of the income stream for Idol, X Factor, etc) they charge you an extra $0.55 each.

PS, Hoodie: coming up to Shamworth again in January. There will be beer, no doubt?

19. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes the best path forward is to stand pat and do nothing

20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

What he said. Best left untouched.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.