Should I hold off on ordering parts?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Badside, Mar 19, 2020.

1. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

We all need a good distraction. Buy. Build. Play.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I ordered transformers from Triode USA ten days ago. I guess they're JITM / sitting on their hands 'cuz they shipped today.

"You're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

JITM is part of the problem.

JITM "works perfectly" when everything works perfectly.

I'm gonna order from Mojotone later. They need to eat and pay bills in Burgaw, North Carolina.

3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i contacted amplified parts/tubesandmore/antique electronics and they are still doing business. i had heard that some companies were shutting down so the carriers could deliver more vital products but i guess not.

i ordered from amazon yesterday. will probably be a while to get here. they deserve a hand as they are hiring 100,000 people.

4. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

JITM=just in the moment? never saw that before.

i ordered from amazon yesterday. may take a while to get it tho. they should get a hand as they are hiring 100,000 people.

i contacted amplified parts/tubesandmore/antiqueelectronics and they are still sending out orders. i had heard that some companies were shutting so that the carriers could deliver vital supplies.

play music!

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm still buying what I need. Restringing, setting guitars up-none of the usual parts sources seem to have stopped. I ordered what I needed to tune up my lawn equipment and Amazon Prime is telling me that the orders will take a little extra time. That's OK. If you can afford it go for it!

6. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I already got a bunch of stuff in for a true ptp AC4 built into a 1940 radio.

If you are still working and have cash then particularly if from small businesses go for it. You’ll be helping them in a time of need.

7. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I agree with Bob , it's good to have a distraction from something beyond your control .

8. muchxs

Close!

It stands for

Just In Time Manufacturing

It's a Bean Counter concept. The concept is inventory is overhead. If you have inventory you're over- producing. You add to your overhead and diminish your bottom line. It costs money to handle and warehouse inventory. There are additional financial theories.

Works fine until the ship hits the fan.

As a process engineer I can tell you the bottlenecks likely aren't where most people think they are.

9. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Off topic but...it depends on what business you’re in. Yes it has to do with tying up working capital and holding inventories, but particularly useful in high tech where prices on parts fall quickly and you stay alive by competing on margins (you don’t want to hold on to overpriced inventory).

But agreed, like all business concepts there is no one size fits all. And I’m sure we can also find criticism in “buy low, sell high”.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I have ordered parts for a coodercaster for my son's graduation and gotten the stuff really quickly... so, go for it.

11. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

got it. thanks,
    play music!

12. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Well it's a good thing I went ahead and placed the order last week, non-essential business are closing everywhere. Would have lost my mind with nothing to do for the next few weeks.

kafka likes this.
  13. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Although I personally consider all guitar parts outlets to be essential businesses, in some cirucumstances state governments may disagree with me. So, potentially, there may be some delays in shipping.

14. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, given there are no gigs on the foreseeable horizon, I'm viewing this as a time to do some maintenance/modification on my main player guitars/amps. Fortunately, I have a decent spare parts drawer and string inventory to get the job done w/o too much reliance on outside sources at this point. And yes, it gets the mind off other things at the moment.

15. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

If you don't continue to spend money on gear that you don't need, then the virus will have already won.

King Fan and esbrian like this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I say go for it. If I could swing it, I’d totally be taking a shot at building my first amp right now. Mojotone has a complete kit for a Brown deluxe that supposedly isn’t very difficult at all. I’d be all over that. I’ve got all the time in the world right now.

When things open back and up and I can get back to work, I’ll be able to swing it, but won’t have any time to build it.

Such is life! I say if you’ve got the means, and you’ve got the time, then have at it!

17. muchxs

I figure what the world needs is a DeArmond M15T built on a 6G3 chassis.

18. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

You've had way more experience with suppliers than me, much, but without throwing them under the bus *too* hard, Triode are notorious for delayed shipping and JIT customer service. There was a thread on here a couple years ago by someone who found, after a long delay, they'd shipped him an empty box...

Speaking of JITM, it's one of the reasons we can't get toilet paper. And that health workers can't get PPE. JITM... and that a lot of health stuff is made in Italy and China...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Jlwctn and muchxs like this.
  19. muchxs

It's a little rough but I can make three rolls of toilet paper by running one roll of paper towels though the bandsaw.

:D :D :D

Jlwctn and King Fan like this.
  20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.