Should I hold off on ordering parts?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Badside, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Great idea Mongo, Just Radios is the bomb!!!

cheers, RM

2. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't know about Just Radios. What they do sell though I've already got from Next Gen and my parts bin. What I was needing were some tubes (Long & McQuade's selection is pretty slim, but I guess there's always TheTubeStore in Ontario) and also turrets and board material (I really like what Tube Depot has to offer on that front, I've tried to find good G10 locally but so far it's impossible, eventually I'll have to order a big fat sheet from McMaster)

3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Buy the stuff, the economy is shutting down, we need more spending. Maybe something happens and you don't get the parts for a while, oh well.

4. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

I've figured as much. One thing though, I've never seen Tube Depot send an order out the door so fast, took them like an hour, and this was a sizeable order. Either business is running quite slow, or they want to make sure there are no standing order if they have to close shop. I paid extra for 2-day shipping, but as long as I receive it by April I'll be happy.

5. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I figure the economy could use the purchases. They'll let me know if they can't deliver it on time.

6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I just ordered some recording stuff. Been working on a home-recording setup, and what better time to dive into it.

7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I did my part: I just ordered some bits from Mojotone.

Mark

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Keep spending as you can. The economic fallout is going to be brutal, especially for our friends and neighbors in local businesses. Low margin small businesses have little reserves to weather this. Don't be surprised if some go out of business in weeks, if not immediately.

I'm working from the sun room, so no suit and tie, but I'm still finding things to send to the dry cleaners so their finances don't dry up. I don't want their drivers put out on the street, so to speak.

9. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

I ain`t gonna live long enough to pay the credit card bill anyway so what the hell

10. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Haha

I'm in my 40s. Not afraid of dying, just afraid of getting a tube stuck down my throat for a few days. This virus can go **** itself.

11. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I recently placed several part orders from Australia, Canada and the US for a Friedman style build that I have been planning. Everything has arrived very quickly so hopefully I can get it finished up over the weekend. I would definitely go for it if you haven't already.

12. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

The first day I was sent home I ordered a new Weber speaker, new transformer, 42 awg wire, etc.

The way I see it is I need to keep my sanity for three weeks. And you can see in the news that people/companies are hurting. I'm not spending big money but hopefully it helps.

I went out jogging yesterday morning and I see guys preparing to open up coffee shops and it reminds me that we need to tip service workers big at this time. They're "essential" in many ways.

13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My guitars are my escape from everything. So, if I need strings or any other necessary gear to keep playing, that becomes my priority.
    Order what you need. Actually, the sooner the better.

14. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Businesses are hurting. You have free time. Get the stuff. I just bought a bunch of parts for a restore plus a few common things for stock.

15. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I'm doing my part, I just ordered some odds and ends to finish one build and maybe start another. Just a small order but every little bit helps right?

I feel a little weird buying non essentials because I'm technically kind of out of work due to the situation at the moment, my business is running reduced hours and services and my partner and I aren't drawing paychecks until we are given the green light to fully reopen. But, I'm lucky to have enough cash in the bank to support my family for a year or more without dipping into retirement savings and if this thing is somehow bad enough to cause my business to go **** up, $35 worth of amp parts isn't going to have mattered one way or the other I suppose...

On a related note, I was going to order from Weber as I find their parts to be of perfectly acceptable quality and their prices are hard to beat, but the shipping was so much I ended up buying from AES instead. It was going to be $20 in shipping for $38 worth of stuff. The same amount of parts from AES cost just under $5 to ship! Whats up with the crazy shipping charges Weber?!

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last week, just before Skynet became self-aware, I was gathering materials to build a Strat. Now, I find myself balking at ordering a swamp ash blank.

My current project is a pair of heirloom bookcases for two of my grandkids – brother and sister. That still feels worthwhile, plus I already have the materials - 80 board feet of gorgeous, lightly figured cherry. But building a guitar... just seems a bit frivolous at the moment. Somehow it doesn't jive with going to the grocery store every morning to see what has been restocked.

This whole thing has me second-guessing, trying to find the correct, moderate response.

I just keep reminding myself that humans are bad at visualizing any future different from the current. When things are good, we can't see them stopping. When things are bad... same thing.

Fortunately, humans are always wrong. :)

I think I'll wait, finish the bookcases, and then decide.

Snfoilhat and 2blue2 like this.
  17. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I ordered some parts from stewmac and stratosphereparts and both orders shipped the next day. I’m sure they appreciate having something to do and at least being able to work.

2blue2 likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Do your best to keep normal functioning and patronizing businesses - the worst thing is to let thousands of small businesses die, if they can be helped.

If you have the means to help support the economy, do it.

19. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I’ve been watching a few things in Reverb. As prices drop it’s getting harder and harder to not pull the trigger.

But I’m not too motivated for new gear at the moment especially with all my gigs being cancelled.

however I am playing the crap out of the guitars I do have.

20. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I'd go ahead and place the order too. The parts arrival and following project will help take the current pandemic situation off your mind for a while. With all the bad news coming from all over, I do find it a little more challenging to feel excited about almost anything. We should try and limit out exposure to media. However it is interesting to see the events unfold.

This week I pulled out some gear that I have not used in a while. Playing it was motivating. I spent some time programming a few drum tracks. I serviced an old Silvertone amp for a local musician. All good stuff to pass the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.