Should I hold off on ordering parts?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Badside, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

With all this free time due to the current situation, I'd like to get working on some new projects but I first need to order some key parts. Yet every time I'm about to press that Confirm button I'm stricken with guilt.

Feels like I should let truck drivers deal with more important cargo right now... but maybe it doesn't really matter because UPS trucks gonna drive around anyway? I don't know...

Doesn't help too that I'm in Canada. While they're only closing the borders to people for now, who knows if they won't close it to non-essential cargo just as my stuff is on the way.

I did place an order with NextGen in Canada, but there's some stuff I can only find down south.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just can't get enthused on music gear related projects right now. My mind keeps going there then I back off seeing little incentive. UGH. I see no horizon where gigs to use gear at will start in the near future. Expect calluses to disappear fairly quick too.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I get not having much interest right now because of no gigs on the foreseeable horizon, but if you have the interest, or if you're just a home player trying to hone your gear, I would NOT feel guilt about giving a truck driver more work! ANY money any of us can keep circulating in the economy (without creating more danger - don't spend it in a crowded bar!) is that much better for everyone. So many people are gonna be losing jobs, so many companies are gonna be in danger of going under, that the more we can still manage to spend, the better for all of us. Order your parts from the US. Sure, there's an outside chance they never get there, but they probably do, and it saves a fraction of a job somewhere along the line....

-Ray

Milspec, Jlwctn, Toadtele and 19 others like this.
  4. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

I get it, but that's exactly why I want to start a new project, gets my mind thinking of something else.

Sure, might not get to gig with it before a looooong while, but I'm usually too busy gigging every weekend which is why I don't get to do this as much as I'd like

2blue2, King Fan and wrvond like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you should go ahead and hit buy. Companies are hurting for business unless they sell emergency supplies and you could help someone keep their doors open.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

People need to stay busy and have a purpose. Whether we're facing a Zombie Apocalypse or just an over-hyped version of the "bird flu (anyone remember that "crisis?") people have to carry on. If you've got the money to spend, spend it. It will give purpose to a lot of other people. And yourself.

7. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Do it! Do it now!

:D

Jlwctn and LOSTVENTURE like this.
  8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

The economy needs to keep functioning. I take my chances with the closed borders. The parcel service companies may be getting more business on one hand but not from the other. They will prioritize the shipments like they always do to be as efficient as possible.

Difficult times for restaurants and entertainment for sure. There will be a deeper recession if we stop spending.

9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I would expect a longer than normal wait and the possibility of you package being held longer than normal in customs does exist but order away. We need to live and let live through this crisis.

Toadtele and mkdaws32 like this.
  10. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I doubt customs and border crossings will be any more of an issue than usual. You package will not have a fever or a cough.

keep the economy going.

Bill Moore, JuneauMike and SheldonP like this.
  11. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

If people don't buy, drivers don't work.

DrPepper, Jlwctn, Toadtele and 4 others like this.
  12. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, you're right that "show must go on" if we don't want our economy to slow down to a halt.

I do believe we are heading towards a complete lockdown soon, but that will only last 2-3 weeks at most, after that it will be months of "social distancing" and I'll do what I can to encourage struggling businesses.

I will probably avoid ordering from Amazon though. Their handling of this situation so far is disgusting

mkdaws32 and 2blue2 like this.
  13. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Hurry and do it before the world ends!

14. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I started a new career as a teacher... then today everything closed in the UK. I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday from tube-town to fill the time, a build for a friend's daughter, and they say it's on the way.

I will go and volunteer at another school, where kids need the free meals etc, but honestly, I need a distraction. And although I don't really believe in consumerism, we need to give some trade to the good people and not Amazon!

EsquireBoy, mkdaws32 and ricardo1912 like this.
  15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Buy it. I'm stocking up on garden/guitar decorating projects for the possible lock down.

Anything that helps folk keep working can only be good.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

words of wisdom, in every scenario, for anything and everything

Toadtele, Nickfl and mkdaws32 like this.
  17. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Maybe the stuff you need could be ordered from Just Radios. No borders between you and them.
    Cheers Ron.

18. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I would go ahead and order. I don't like the word "lockdown" because iI fear it will be hard to unlock it once the lock is down. I just traded some setups for a can of ammo.

2blue2 and Bill Moore like this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Ray nails it!

We can't let fear be the driving force!

These times can zap our enthusiasm but if I go ahead and pick up my Telecaster and roll some tunes I feel A LOT better!

Keep doing those things that make you happy, things you look forward to the next day!

Trucks are rolling a little late already. I had to order stuff for my new RV and Prime now takes about 7 days instead of same day it used to say! That's cool! Seems like Amazon has its priorities straight.

Jlwctn and raysachs like this.
  20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You'll see a shipping delay, but other than that, no reason not to. My parts orders that are usually 3-4 days have been closer to 7-8. Not complaining about it, but just laying it out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.