1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I give strats another try?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Jan 2, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I played acoustic guitar for 40 years without ever having owned my own electric guitar. Eleven years ago now, I decided it was time for me to buy one for myself. Because of Jimi, Eric, Eric and SRV, and countless others, my first thought was Strat.

Then a friend loaned me his MiK Strat for a couple of weeks, and that experience discouraged me. The Volume knob was in the way, the selector switch was in the way, the feel of the switch was foreign to me (hard to switch on the fly and go from, say, 4 to 2). Then I played a Hwy 1 Tele, and the rest is history.

But lately I’ve been wondering if I shouldn’t give them another try. Maybe part of the problem back then was I was too new to the electric guitar in general, so maybe it would be different now. Here’s your chance to talk me into (or out of?) trying/test-driving them again…Go!

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Can't hurt to try them again, especially if you can borrow one again.

Shuster and LGOberean like this.
  3. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

No.

Jim622 likes this.
  4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Absolutely.

Most definitely.

Yes.

Steve Holt, Obsessed and Shuster like this.
  5. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I say give 'em a whirl. A Strat can't beat a Tele but they are pretty fun - I started playing mine again recently after a long period of strictly Gretsch and Tele. You get used to the volume knob and different switch position.

The only thing that gets me now is the tremolo arm placement but that's because I like to pick near the bridge. On the Gretsch the Bigsby is further back and doesn't get in the way, on the Strat it's right there at the bridge. But if you're not picking way back it won't be an issue for you.

The biggest pro is that distinct Strat sound. Those springs in the back give it a little extra and it's hard to beat that neck pickup.

AlbertaGriff and LGOberean like this.
  6. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Oh man does that sound familiar :D Even Tele switcher gets in the way...

I'm used to playing with my palm open, tucking your fingers in doesn't really matter with an acoustic. Still in the process of learning it... but it's worth the trouble. Just for the trem alone :)

awasson likes this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Yes

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have played guitar for over 40 years, and only just a year and a half ago bought my first Stratocaster.

I love it, and enjoy what it brings to the table.
    :)
    US17019226-front-large.jpg

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have really been enjoying my EJ Strat lately.
    It stays in tune beautifully, and sound great, especially on the neck pickup.
    They are great rhythm guitars, too.

10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I said for years that I was not a fan of strats and only own one ('96 Strat-Plus). It is rarely played due to many of the irritations like those you mentioned, but I still think every player needs to have one around anyway for what it can do. When I do pick it up and play, there is always a moment where I hear something that just blows me away and make all those little irritations fade away. I love my telecasters, but there is just something about a strat that keeps one around for me. It will never be my number 1 or 2 for that matter, but it remains part of the rotation just the same.

11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been on and off the Strat. I've bought and sold a few over the years. The Tele has been my one and only electric for over ten years now. Like you the acoustic was my only guitar at first.

About 1 1/2 years ago I got another one. Here's what I like:

Middle pickup. I use it a lot for rhythm playing.

The access to upper frets.

As the rest, meh. I can take it or leave it.

Sent from my LG-H831 using TDPRI forum mobile app

12. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think anybody moving from Teles to a strat hates the switch and knob locations especially if it has a wiggly stick on it. I know I did. I didn't have a strat since the mid-eighties until 5-6 months ago but it only took a couple weeks to not have to always look to see the knobs. By chance I saw a hardtail Robert Cray strat on CL and went and bought it at lunchtime today. Feels different than the vibrato bridge especially with the bar hanging there. Try again, the sounds differ from teles more than you'd think.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you're even thinking about trying one, you should. If you can't borrow one, pretty much any music store that sells electric guitars will have one, or at least a copy. I'll probably get kicked out of here for saying this, but if I had to choose between only having a Tele or a Strat... I'd be over on Strat Talk.

14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. Only two naysayers to date, and neither one gave any explanation to their vote. Y'all care to elaborate?

awasson and Shuster like this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I called Sweetwater at least 10 times requesting they offer the same guitar for us Lefties, what do I get,,, "not at this time"o_O
    Kind of like the check is in the mail,, etc Guess I'll keep pestering them till they crack,

Remember!! Persistence beats Resistance!!:twisted:

17. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

And of course Yes, nothing to lose! I love Strat's, but they need to bring the price down on them,, Seriously!!

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Yeah man.

There's a young gal at work who craves a certain PRS guitar (semi-hollow-body), but PRS refuses to build one in a lefty configuration.

She sends them an email fairly often, pestering them.

:/

Shuster likes this.
  19. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I had a Strat and experienced some of the same issues you did. It's a guitar I regret selling. I do prefer a Telecaster though. I'd still like to give a Strat another go. I say yes. I'll leave you with this.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have one in the closet and it's been there a while. I didn't like the thin ice-picky bridge pickup, so I replaced it with an overwound 10K pickup which fixed the thin icepick problem, but it doesn't sound quite right. I don't know what the solution is, but it'll stay in the closet until I figure it out. Fine looking guitar, though.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.