mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Starlight Echo Station, Strymon Dig, J Rocket Clockwork, Wampler Ethereal and Catalinbread Echorec also sound promising. I'm dying to find something made in USA to kick the d-Seed off my board, but I have yet to find anything I like as much. The above is my present must-try list.
Got the Echorec last year and it sure is unique. Does the Gilmour syncopation and runaway feedback things extremely well. Nice slapback too. Kinda pricey though. I like it.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
What do you think of the Nano Deluxe Memory Man?
I know you're not asking me, but...

Based on online demos, I think it sounds good... for what it is. But what it is has very little in common with a memory man to my ears. If you want something witg controllable chorusing, a small footprint, and not super pricey, its seems like a nice alternative to, say, the carbon copy.

But if you want something that sounds like a memory man, there are half a dozen other things I'd recommend instead.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Starlight Echo Station, Strymon Dig, J Rocket Clockwork, Wampler Ethereal and Catalinbread Echorec also sound promising. I'm dying to find something made in USA to kick the d-Seed off my board, but I have yet to find anything I like as much. The above is my present must-try list.
I have Ethereal. It’s clean and not noisy. Wampler makes great product.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
I could be in the Clockwork range. But I think I’d rather stay out of Chase Bliss range unless there is a really good reason.

I've never owned a chase bliss pedal but if I did, it would be the Thermae. That thing is wild.

In the Clockwork range you've got a myriad of options. Are you sure the memory man style is what you want? I know my answer would be yes, but the super dark boss DM-2 kinda sound is also fun.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have Ethereal. It’s clean and not noisy. Wampler makes great product.

I agree. I have the Tumnus and the Mini Ego Compressor. Great pedals. I also really respect Brian for sharing his knowledge in videos and elsewhere to help educate us all about pedals.

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
I have a catalinbread belle epoch as my main delay, because the preamp that powers the signal through sounds pretty good, and this is untrue of a lot of delays.

I have two boss DD-6s I like to stack. They do reverse delay, and are just generally great. I might have one as my go-to if it had a hardwired bypass built in.

I have a DOD Rubberneck that is really cool. It's got that nice soft thickness bucket brigade delays can have, but can do long delay times, tap tempo, and some extra tricks and weird noises. I think it must have two BBD chips in it. Ok sounding preamp too. This is about as much BBD as you can get, and they got blown out the door because harman seems to have been liquidating DOD.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
@pinchegil and @kbold you guys are killing me. I know the post is going to be delayed.

I was really looking at the Caroline Kilobyte or maybe something from Red Panda but I'm not stuck on anything. I don't need a delay, I just want to try something different.

Malekko makes great stuff, I have used a couple of their dirt pedals. Never tried the Ekko but it looks cool and the video reviews are nice. Plus they are a really good deal. And you can pick your knob color which is really...anyway, you can pick your knob colors.

The delay on the Red Panda Context is a good, warm delay, and you get the added benefit of everything from subtle to gigantic reverb if you want, as well. Great pedal.

Maybe check out a tape delay sim if you want something a bit vibey. They do something unique and cool. Maybe the Catalinbread Belle Epoch or Dunlop Echoplex.

Jbnaxx

Tele-Holic
Belle Epoch can get some really nice echo sounds. The Boss DD-7 is hard to beat in terms of sound and versatility. I’m a delay junkie, so I use them both.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
What should I get? I have one I like OK but maybe I want something different.
Brainwash me. What's good?

wxmuQin3gHj3P5gCD5qJci.jpg

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
Fair question.
I have a JHS Pink Panther, a DD7 Boss, a Source Audio Collider, a Wampler Ethereal (delay and reverb) and a Demedash T120 Videotape Delay.
Like I said, I don't need a delay. I just want to try something different. So what's different?

Edit, I also have some rack delays in the attic but I'm never going back to a rack.
Anything there analog?

hotrodkid

Tele-Afflicted
Personally I’m finding out I’m more of a reverb guy than delay. Matter fact I just purchased the last pedal for my second board and skipped on a delay, instead I opted for an older black label Boss CE-5.

To the OP, if you use slap back and not longer delays with modulation I’d recommend something like a CC mini or a Catalinbread Talisman which is actually a plate reverb but sounds really great with overdrive. In my last band I had a Belle Epoch Deluxe and a Talisman on my board. I actually used the Talisman more, actually way more.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
What's your price range?

I'll echo that....

But, delays can be a deep and expensive rabbit hole, almost as bad as fuzzes.

Most cheap "analog" delays (and some expensive ones) are built around the PT2399 chip. You'll find that these typically sound a lot alike with occasional additions of modulation and tone circuits. Don't fall into the trap of buying a lot of different variations of them. Just get one good one.

DSP, aka digital, delays can have some interesting effects, like reverse and shimmer delays, as well as emulating analog delay sounds. I have a relatively inexpensive Ammoon PockEcho that does a good job.