Should I get a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Drubbing, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ThreeChorder

ThreeChorder Tele-Meister

Get a Tele. It's why you're here.

2. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

You want a tele, you need a tele. No need to stop at just one either.

3. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

@Drubbing...

You are asking the wrong question. But at least you asked it in a very un-biased forum.:eek:

The question you meant to ask was: How MANY Tele's should I get?

Seriously though, consider a Nashville style Tele. Lot's of people build them. I have a G&L Asat Z3 that has 7 pick-up configurations that gets Tele and Strat tones plus. These style Tele's give you the best of both tone world's

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

No one ever reads the part about being left handed?

Once you've got one LH Tele, you've got them all, because there are no variants offered. Not everyone who visits a forum can build a guitar, or afford to have one built.

5. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

NOOOO! Don't go there. Stay with your strat and keep on dreaming. Once you've started out with your first telecaster, you're stuck. Just one more, and OH!, I forgot, just the one with a humbucker, and then maybe some double bindings. And what about a nice rosewood fretboard, and so on.

Stay away and save yourself some money!

6. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I should get a Tele. (Title fixed).

7. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

>>

Attached Files:

8. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm ..... Strat or Tele?? Sometimes one can't decide.

image-252293122.jpg

Pardon me, you've got chocolate in my peanut butter.

image-3445517031.jpg

No, you've got peanut butter on my chocolate.

Some things go well together!

9. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Guy it's 2014 everybody makes a left handed version of most things you just have to order them. And if you have a local shop that is half way decent they'll order it for you just ask. And if you don't want to mod your strat again if your local shop is halfway decent they should be able to do it for you. You my have to spend extra for a left handed guitar because it is a speciality item. Other then the "I can't do it and don't want to do it" why such resistance to changing some wires on your strat?

10. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Because it's not that big a deal. I don't like the bridge sound. I'm not fussed one way or the other whether it has a tone control, I probably still won't like it. So why should I mod it? Even so, why would they charge extra for a mod that's exactly the same as on a RH guitar. Do they need left-handed screwdriver to take the pick guard off?

As for lefties, the choice is scant, especially with Fender. They don't cost any more, they just don't offer any real choice. Perhaps you'll be surprised how few they do. The cheapest Squier, a CV, a 52RI, MIA and MIM. I've already discounted the first four on feel or cost.

11. quedecree

quedecree TDPRI Member

I bought one sight unseen (MIM Blacktop) - had I played it first, I may not have.....BUT, once I'd got the intonation in (was so far out it was not funny), tweaked the neck (easily done) put better strings on it, replaced the string tree with a roller tree from guitar fetish (again, easy peasy) it's now a really sweet guitar with some really nice tones - particularly from the neck pick up. In my case, I replaced the tuners too 'cos I thought they were a bit stiff and too coarse. But I am very pleased with it now.

Check out a bunch of internet suppliers and see what their return policy is - or even your local shop - if you really hate it, can they return it? Buying anything sight unseen is a tad risky.

I've always associated Tele's with country rock (complete ignorance on my part) but I've been amazed at some of the big, 'round sounds I've heard from their neck pups and am a little annoyed at myself I didn't have one 30 years ago.

So do it!

12. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

No returns on leftys locally, or any ordered items for that matter. I did return a couple amps the other month, but they were already in stock, can resell those and they'd only offer credit, not refund.

The reason leftys can be hard to find is they don't last long when they do get them in. Yet many owners fail to see that, rarely order, or bother to track their stock movements.

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good luck!

14. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Yes! It's like asking a lion if he should eat a warthog: he'll yes! Just get a nice one.

15. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

If you have to ask...then you should stick with what you got....

16. quedecree

quedecree TDPRI Member

Have you tried Pro Audio Supplies in Canberra? There's a couple of lefty Tele's in stock. Doesn't give details about their return policy....could be worth a call....

17. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I read it.

I also read the bit in your initial post about playing for a couple of years and the other bit about want a Tele for "practical" reasons. I read the bit about your description of your Strat's tone. I read the other stuff about your unwillingness to modify that Strat or any other guitar, too.

Find the logic here:

I have a guitar, but I am not happy with it and I am not willing to undertake any mod that might make me happy with it, BUT I want to know if I should buy a guitar I think I'll be happy with even though I can't play it first before committing to spending money on it.

I wouldn't buy a guitar I couldn't play first if I was unwilling to break out a Phillips head screwdriver, some hex keys, some fret files, and a soldering iron and put them to use, but that's me.

18. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Thanks for taking the time, but everyone is focusing on the Strat bridge as the deal breaker here. It isn't. It's simply one reason of a few I find that I can't get into it. Unlike the Tele, I fined all other pup positions kind of samey, save for 4. But I may just be being nostalgic for the cheap Tele I sold.

19. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under. You need a Telecaster. Three, two, one... You're back in the room!

[​IMG]

20. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

:lol:

Well, Strats and Teles aren't enemies. But I agree, you're missing something special if you don't have a Tele.

Truly, this is a guitar that will grow with you. Rock, punk, jazz, blues, whatever. There's not a lot a Tele can't do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.