Should I get a tele with humbuckers, or am I better of getting a Gibson ?

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Title says it all. I love my standard single coil tele, but never played one with humbuckers.

A Tele with humbuckers defeats the purpose a bit in my book. YMMV for sure.
As others have asked in this thread: Are you GAS:ing for humbuckers or are you GAS:ing for a Gibson?
There are any amount of guitars with humbuckers available from any brand at almost any price. Try some!
Funnily enough, the same goes for Gibsons. Try some!
Gibsons don't have the same scale length as Teles so they will feel different on a number of levels.
Whether you'll like that or not is something TDPRI can't tell you... but we can tell you to try some out! :cool:

For this post "some" means "more than one".

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I bought a Gibson….once. And never made that mistake again.

If I want something with humbuckers, it’s either a Fender or a PRS (SE or S2 lines)

I have guitars with Fender single coils, lace sensors, humbuckers, filterons & dearmonds But P-90s are the pickup type that work best for me.

Getting a neck humbucker to work with a Tele lead pickup can be challenging to get right, but Fender did it with their US Fat Tele back in the late 90s (I know because I have one)

Gary in Boston

Friend of Leo's
A Tele is a Tele a Gibson is a Gibson.

I think trying to make one the other is an age old quest that never really works.

What you end up with something else, neither one or the other.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
Gibson scale 2xPAF Tele Deluxe.
It’s kind of like a Les Paul except affordable and durable.

p9cdUKl.jpg
Great looking guitar!

transmetro

TDPRI Member
A lot of people saying 'get the real deal' and/or a Tele with humbuckers isn't what the guitar does best....

I mean OK but:

1. Keith Richards' most famous guitar sounds pretty great to me.

2. The Tele Deluxe WRHB sound is a) genuinely different from Gibson/PAF-type humbuckers and b) a legit part of the Fender legacy.

You need to figure out exactly what you want from a humbucker guitar. If you want the sound of a Gibson guitar, putting Gibson-style humbuckers in a tele won't give you that. Set neck vs bolt on, different bridge, different scale length, different woods. The differences are far deeper than electronics.

But with a different use case it might be just what you're looking for. I've a tele deluxe and another tele with a Bareknuckle PAF in the neck. I use both way more than the only Gibson I have (a Les Paul).

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
A thick slab of mahogany with two humbuckers, set mahogany neck, and the shorter scale length will give you a Les Paul / Gibson sound. Of you’re looking for that sound, you’ll have to get a guitar with those specs (doesn’t necessarily need to be Gibson).

IMO, traditional Fender woods (ash, alder, poplar), bolt on maple necks, and the longer scale length contribute significantly to the sound difference of the two brands. Screwing some ‘buckers on a Fender spec’d guitar doesn’t lead to the Gibson sound. At least that’s been my experience.