Should I get a tele with humbuckers, or am I better of getting a Gibson ?

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
It's not a coil split, it's a bass cut, and it's a really nice feature. Reverend guitars are the best thing going in their price range, IMHO.
You're right! It's a bass cut, not a coil split. I sold my Rev about 2 years ago and my memory on the controls is a little fuzzy.

I do remember it was a really great playing guitar, but I just couldn't bond with the sound.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Buy a used Carvin. The 25" scale length will be somewhat familiar, they are made in the US of A, and the quality matches anything out there. And the resale prices, while up, aren't stupid up.

Jack8th

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
3HB Tele.jpg

If you stick 3 Humbuckers in it and you can have an LP / STRAT / TELE

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Title says it all. I love my standard single coil tele, but never played one with humbuckers.
I have a Miata. Should I get a Toyota Tundra or an F350 Dually?

I'm trying to say, a T style with a couple of HBs does not = some Gibson or other 24.75 scale instrument. Is the Tele with HBs halfway inbetween? Kinda. Yes and no, I'd say. I think you owe it to yourself to try these HB Fenders out and see how it works for you.

SamIV

Tele-Holic
PRS Vela. 10” radius and very nice neck profile. Not a drastic change from a Tele. Google YouTube vids. It sounds quite nice.

93596B0D-58B0-42D4-A484-47E8696B5924.jpeg

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I bought a two humbucker MJT Tele a couple of years ago.
I “visited” it several times before buying it.
I really liked it, at the shop.
I also liked it at home.
It took it to several gigs, and didn’t like it al all.
It had a Lollar El Rayo in the bridge position, and a Gibson in the neck.
I generally gig with Tele style guitars.
I could never get the pickups to balance.
I bailed on it.
I think, to greatly oversimplify, that PAF type pickups don’t translate on F type guitars.
Just my opinion.
Gibsons, and humbuckers are a (natural) match made in heaven.
Filtertton type pickups are a much better fit, IMO.

Last edited:

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I've got a couple of Telecasters with Humbuckers, and they're great guitars. Many people have suggested getting an SG, I have SGs, and love them too. I think you ought to make a trip to the guitar store and play a few things until you find what you're looking for.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
Pat Travers made a two humbucker Tele work perfecty well for kicking out the rock.

Go check out some traditional humbucker guitars. See how you like the feel. I personally like 24.75 scales, but I play both trad Gibson and Fender scales.

The "real deal" is what you dig. Best wishes, and please report back!

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
I would highly recommend giving a Les Paul Special a play to see how it feels to you. I had the exact same question you have, and I found that (for me) the P90-equipped Les Paul Special completely covered the sound and feel I had in mind. As @loopfinding mentioned, used Gibsons are not unreasonably priced. I picked up the Inspired by Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Special in TV Yellow, and I've been playing it more than my Tele since I picked it up.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
I would highly recommend giving a Les Paul Special a play to see how it feels to you. I had the exact same question you have, and I found that (for me) the P90-equipped Les Paul Special completely covered the sound and feel I had in mind. As @loopfinding mentioned, used Gibsons are not unreasonably priced. I picked up the Inspired by Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Special in TV Yellow, and I've been playing it more than my Tele since I picked it up.
Good advice!

Quacky

Tele-Meister
Title says it all. I love my standard single coil tele, but never played one with humbuckers.
Get both as the scales are different and they will each play and sound different. You can never have too many guitars. :) (Unless your name is Rick Nielsen or Joe Bonamassa they are just hogging them all.)

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I think Jeff Baxter modded a couple dual humbucker teles that he and Denny Dias played in the early days of Steely Dan.
Those records are some of my favorites. Not sure what they actually used in the studio, but I associate their sound with humbucker'ed Teles

1649200924119.png

1649200971382.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When old Seymour created that abomination for Jeff, he also made a whole new HB design.
New you say?
Well kinda for those times, HBs that were much more bright and cutting, even shrill if not to your taste.
Certainly not Tele bright but not PAF warm either.
What else was there for HB types then?
Dirty fingers and T tops were warm, Dimarzio Super Distortion was heavy and warm or not very bright.
I have an early JB in the bridge if my LP and like it, or liked it, but just don’t play that thing so may be off in my memory.
Also I understand the JB got changed at some point after years of production, not sure if Jeff asked or what.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
Have you ever played a guitar with a Gibson scale neck? The relatively small dimensional difference translates into a huge difference in the hand. One of the few guitars I ever sold was a Flying V - I loved the shape and the sound, but I could never get comfortable with the neck. I’m a lousy player anyway, so your mileage may vary.

Steven Kaplan

TDPRI Member
I have an Epiphone G-400 which is Epiphones SG, I'm not overly thrilled with the sound it gets.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I have two electrics that complement each other perfectly IMO: '62 AVRI Tele and Epiphone ES-335 Dot (upgraded with SD Antiquities and a BCS Vintage Wiring Kit. Total w/HSC = $700. Probably $900 these days.

004.JPG