Should I get a 61 CS to compliment my ASAT or hold out...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by stevehollx, Jul 21, 2017.

1. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

I was looking at vintage sunburst late 60 teles but realized I was priced out of that category to get a maple fretboard sunburst.

I now have my eyes on a custom shop 61 tele with a C shaped rosewood board. It is a sunburst with a heavy relic look, which I love and have been chasing. I prefer maple boards on teles, though, and I am a little apprehensive to spend this much on a guitar with rosewood--but this guitar has that mojo look. Haven't found a heavy relic sunburst with maple neck that is moderate C shaped...never played a 1.00 nocaster neck but typically prefer smaller necks shy of .90.

I do have a g&l asat classic ash/maple with dimarzio areaT pickups already for this to compliment. I love hot rodded tele twang (paisley, jerry donahue, Andy wood, Johnny hiland, etc). Think it makes sense to grab the rosewood board CS 61, or hold out for another with a maple board? Trying to decide if rosewood makes a more versatile toolbox or if I should stick to what I know and stay in the maple neck lane.

Alternative would be to try and score just a neck later on, but I think standalone CS necks would be hard to come by.

Maybe I'm obsessing over the details?

2. Falconbill

Falconbill Tele-Meister

I wouldn't buy a CS guitar with the idea of changing out the neck.

3. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Nor would I. Re availability of CS necks, I see them listed on Stratosphere regularly; they're about a $1000.

4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why not have one good tele with a rosewood board to complement your maple boards....just a thought....actually I prefer the feel and sound from a slab rw board....simply my opinion.....

RJ

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

you better get it. It will be awesome...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.