Should I chamber my baritone tele?

transmitsignal

NEW MEMBER!
So I’ve been playing my fender baritone telecaster a lot more lately. Absolutely love it, problem is it’s so darn heavy! I’d like to take it to a luthier and have them remove some wood, but i’m a little nervous about it. Do you think it will ruin the guitar? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
So I’ve been playing my fender baritone telecaster a lot more lately. Absolutely love it, problem is it’s so darn heavy! I’d like to take it to a luthier and have them remove some wood, but i’m a little nervous about it. Do you think it will ruin the guitar? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
would it change the tone of it? ruin it..probably

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
I just got an Agile chiral parity. Says its under 6 lbs.

Chambering after the fact will likely be a mess. It also won't remove as much weight as you think.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Mine is pretty heavy too, never weighed it. Have you considered a thinline body? Probably no more expensive or risky just to swap a body and you can find them easily.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Welcome!

If the loaded body weighs less than 5 pounds, with a Baritone neck you're getting into Imbalance Land. That is, the headstock will wanna dive as you play. Chambering will make far less difference than one might expect, weight wise (the process just doesn't yield much) but even if it did reduce the weight, how do you feel about a neck diving guitar?

I'd rather the weight than the imbalance, myself. If I may ask, do you know how much the loaded body weighs? Or can you simply give us the net weight of the baritone as it is right now? I mean, if your guitar as is now, weighs 10 pounds or more, you could simply buy a light body and set the original aside- swap the body out.

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Check this out.