1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Should I buy this Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Downsman, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Hi,

I walked past a local music store, and it had a second hand "Bitscaster" in the window, which drew my eye.

I bought my first electric, a Squier CV50 before Christmas, which I love, but now my 10 year old daughter is wanting an electric as well. Thinks it isn't fair she's stuck with an acoustic. So I've been looking around for one. Was thinking of a Thinline, for weight reasons, but this one is selling for £200, only £40 more than the Richwood thinline I was thinking of.

Thing is, I'm new to the Tele game, and don't know if this one is good value or not. I like the idea of a humbucker in the neck as I never use the neck pickup on my CV50 as it's a bit jazzy for my tastes. I had a play around with this one in the shop and did like the sound of it. But would my daughter appreciate a "roadworn" tele the way I would, and if not, would I be prepared to hand over my CV50 and use this one instead. Not sure my wife would be up for three new guitars in just a few months!

The man in the shop said it was a genuine Fender 70s style neck, but probably not that old. Didn't know anything about the body, but felt it was unlikely to be a Fender as no stamps on the neck plate or the bridge. Tag said Filterton 60s lookalike pickup (whether that means it's a copy of a Filterton pickup, or a Filterton pickup designed to look like it's from the 60s I don't know). Looking at the photos, it's a bit hard to see but there are a fair few dings in the paintwork, and the bridge plate has been moved slightly and the exposed holes have been noticeably filled in. And the metal work is a bit rusty. Either all adds to the vibe, or flaws that knock its value, depending on your point of view!

Love to know what people think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmmm, presumably the neck is two piece as it has no walnut plug, and no skunk stripe. They were only (originally) made from '67 to early '69, so what could this neck be a reissue of? The single butterfly string tree points to earlier than '72.

Did the back of the headstock have a serial number?

I'm really not sure it's a Fender neck.

3. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Hi KevinB, there was nothing on the back of the headstock. Just the Fender logo and pat numbers on the front of it. The shop is selling it for someone local who had it made by a dealer on Denmark St, so he didn't know too much about it. All I know is he said the neck was 70s style. It seemed in better shape than the rest of the guitar, so I'm assuming it isn't actually from the 70s. But as I said, I wouldn't know where to start to figure that out.

4. KevinB

Well, it looks like a nice guitar, and £200 isn't really a whole lot of money, but I seriously doubt that there's any real Fender parts on it at all.

I think you'd be better off looking for a used MIM Standard.

5. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Look under the control plate

I would want to see if the control knobs were push-on or have a set screw or are they even metal. Can you pop the two screws on the control plate and look at the Pots and the control switch to see if they used good solid components.

After you decide if the price is right for you it really comes down to how does it play and how does it feel and how does it sound.

Looking at the pictures you posted the guitar does seem to have a real solid fit and finish.

Lost_N_Austin

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

It is likely that few if any of the parts are Fender. The bridge also appears to have top load string holes as well. Unless it plays and sounds great I don't see anything that would make it worth more than $100 USD. Without pulling the neck and pick guard the body and neck are of uncertain origin.

7. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Lost_N_Austin, no real point in my opening it up to look at what's inside, as I wouldn't recognise a good component from a bad one to save my life!

The tuner and volume knobs felt like metal to me, but no screws on them. The control plate is clearly newer than the bridge plate, as no rust on it and screws still shiny.

Yes, I could get another second hand CV50, or an MIM for around the same price, but I liked the idea of a Humbucker in the neck. I'm not someone with the skills to swap things around myself so those would be extra costs to factor in. Anyone know how to recognise whether the humbucker is what it said it was, and if they're good ones?

8. KevinB

Filtertrons are technically humbuckers, but they are very different from a Gibson PAF or Fender WRHB. They are low output, quite bright sounding and produce a tone closer to a single coil than a modern 'bucker.

If you want a classic, meaty HB sound, these are not the ones for you!

9. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Ya, nice looking guitar but I'd treat it as if none of the parts are genuine (personally, I'd also remove the fender logo after buying, but that's just me). If you think it's worth it at that price then go for it. I would suspect though that your daughter might not appreciate the randomness of it as much as you would though so also be ready to hand over your squier.

10. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

No one mentioned the bridge having been moved. That sounds strange to me. Was the body drilled wrong? Is it in the right place now? Will it intonate? The rest of it I could deal with, but that part strikes me as peculiar.

11. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

Good point, grinchmonkey, and looking at the photo of the bridge again, it looks like the strings don't line up properly over the humbucker. So whatever reason it was moved, result is something hasn't lined up right. Think the answer to my question is getting clearer...

12. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Both CV50 and MIM Std are routed for humbuckers at the neck so it really wouldn't be too much of a problem swapping them out if you decided to at a later date.
    Without knowing the origin of the parts I'd say stick with the CV or Std.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.