Should I buy this oldish marshall combo?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:47 PM.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Quick rundown... I play in a chili peppers cover band. I'm currently using a 68 custom Princeton reverb, with a celestion g10v speaker. It sounds good, especially after eq pedal removes some of that bass. It is loud enough because I like a little breakup. Then I push Frusciante style with distortion and fuzz.

I can get this amp for $600 CAD, that's around $450 USD.

It has a 12 inch celestion g12h made in the UK. It is 60 watts and I definitely noticed more balls on the clean channel than my Princeton.

I'm thinking of maybe running both. Ironically, the marshall for the clean, and the fender for the breakup (can't really stay clean at gig levels).

Anyways, I know very little about the amp, and it's hard to get to know an amp in 5 minutes in the music shop.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Axegrinder77

Also, I think I prefer the crunch of my Princeton over the marshall. Is that a red flag?

3. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

600 seems a decent price. I like Marshall cleans a lot (at least of the Marshalls I have played) but should you get it? Only you can answer that question.

If you do get it and regret it, I think you will get your money back out.

SweetClyde99 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

A lot of people online rag on the TSL, but I think it was Marshall’s best sounding amp since the Plexi. I bought the 100W combo version, and regret selling it. I some day want to replace it with that exact model you posted.

Things to beware of (short list):

1. The foot switches are known to crap out. I had mine replaced under warranty. I would spend the dough to purchase a backup and keep it in the gig kit, or else see if an amp guy can custom make you a higher quality one.

2. Stay on top of your pre-amp tubes. The amp tends to work through them faster than most amps IME. Also, use quality tubes.

3. The one semi-important design flaw: It’s not so easy to switch between clean and crunch, which are the two best channels on the amp. It requires stomping two footswitch buttons, or else you just set up your red channel with low gain to simulate the crunch channel. I tended to do this, and switch between green and red on songs that needed channel switching, while I would use the crunch channel on songs that didn’t need a channel switch mid-song.

IMO, it would make an excellent amp for RHCP covers of all eras. No Princeton required, unless you want to have it on hand as a backup.

Also: Make sure you use your half power switch! It’s perhaps the most useful feature on the amp. It has VLP (virtual low power) too, which can also be useful.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM
    69ChevyP/U and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’ve owned a TSL60 about 16-17 years ago, pretty good-warm Marshall tones, but too many knobs for me. I recall spending more time trying to find my tone than playing guitar.

For good Marshall cleans, I would look for a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C Combo. The best cleans on any Marshall that I’ve played.

6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

What year was the TSL built?

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Only you know if you need this amp, or any amp for that matter.
    However, this amp had something that grabbed your interest or you wouldn’t be asking others opinions.
    Personally, I think it’s a decent amp at a reasonable price and as mentioned by Stefanovich, you can probably get what you paid for it if you decide to sell it.
    So, go for it, what’s you got to lose?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’d be looking at the new DSL40CR if spending in that region... with 6 button footswitch, it’s very versatile.

I have my eye out for a vintage modern at a good price.

Tim S likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Buddy of mine had one..Issues..but it was early..I think maybe anniversary
    just saying.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

VM is the Marshall that can do F & M very well. I record on both amps a lot . The VM can chime & do the M type clean. This is my live rig...it can be plexi..it can be clean..it can crunch. Matched with the g12c cab..very well rounded amp. kt66 goodness VMload in 6.19.jpg

gridlock likes this.
  11. Titch

Titch TDPRI Member

Had a TSL 100 2x12 a few years ago I bought from new but it had reliability issues, went back to the factory twice under warranty with the same fault so I eventually got rid of it,but i know other people who have gigged them for years without any issues.
    Personally I would err on the side of caution and check if it's had any faults etc. before you buy.
    hope this helps.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  12. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I have a small, 20 watt Marshall, and love it for its clean sound.

I love it when you overdrive it too, but I find the cleans very clean.
    marshall-avt20-8567.jpg

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    schenkadere likes this.
  13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I liked that AVT series. The 50 in particular.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I like some of the small artists from the 80s
    and I think they had a small jcm800

15. Axegrinder77

Thanks everyone. I'm almost thinking it would be wise to spend a bit more and get a brand new dslcr 40. They have one on sale for $849 CAD.

I will play them. Seems unlikely the new ones have a made in the UK celestion though, right?

gridlock likes this.
  16. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Good decision.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.