Should I buy this Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DADGAD, Jul 12, 2019.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Hi everyone! This Gretsch (G5435TG?) is for sale locally and I have the cash to buy it. I do not have a Gretsch in my collection and think it might add another sonic color to my playing. I play pop, CCM and classic rock. It is an Electromatic, MIC guitar and looks new and unplayed. The color looks a bit bright, being red with gold hardware. But, optics aside, how are these for quality, sound and playing? There are not many reviews out there and the only negative review mentioned that the nut slots are cut with too narrow string spacing.

What do you think? Buy or pass?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I would play the guitar first I noticed that a few of my friends have the import Chet Atkins 6120 Gretchen's and they get absolutely no high-end from those pickups unless the volume knobs are turned all the way up I wouldn't be able to live with that so you may want to check it out or consider a pickup swap if this guitar shows the same thing hope I'm making sense voice activated

gridlock, DADGAD and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I picked up a cheap G5220 recently and like it a lot. It's similar to that one, but without the Bigsby, just has a stoptail. The nut does need some work, and I'm not sure about the neck pickup. But overall it is very good quality, and I love the sound of the bridge pickup. plays real nice, and not very expensive.

DADGAD and nojazzhere like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Beware of single bad reviews. I disregard them unless I see the same thing repeated often. You can find bad reviews on anything! I love some Gretsch guitars. Is that a solid body? I like mostly the hollow ,semi hollow ones, but haven't tried a solid. It's hard to tell but if anything the string spacing on that looks wider than the Strats next to it.

That looks like a Jet with Blacktop pickups. The Blacktops aren't most Gretsch guys favorites, But they are basically more like normal Humbuckers than Filtertrons etc. If you like HB's you'll probably like them. They are supercheap aftermarket.
    There are tons of Jets around so get yourself a good deal!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    3-Chord-Genius and DADGAD like this.
  5. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

If you play it you should be able to tell how it is for sound, feel, quality. No?
    I would say if you like it, go for it!
    Personally, I have been gassing for a gretsch for 15 years, but I refuse to buy a chinese or korean one, I am saving for the real deal if I ever get around to it (preferably a 1960s model).
    I bought an older hollow body japanese guitar from the mid 60's that is actually very close to what a quality gretsch would give me tonally. So my gas is subdued for now.

What is the price on that guitar?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Electro Pro Jets are nice for the money, very well made and generally well-playing. Blacktop Filtertrons are Filtertrons with shorter Alnico magnets and smaller pole screws--they are another flavor of the tone Gretsch is most known for. The Pro Jets are semi-hollow affairs, and later Electromatics are more hollow than early, pre-2006-ish Jets. Other Jet models, like the slab-bodied Special Jet are true solid bodies. Vintage and Pro Line (MIJ) Duo Jets, especially the 50s types, including Firebirds and Penguins with Dynasonics are really more like a little hollow body, with a thin pressed ply top (not a shaped slab), so think more a Dano sound than a solid body sound, which what this Pro Jet will give you.

Filtertrons in general are bright, and most people use a treble bleed on the master volume to retain the highs when turning down. G5420Ts after 2016 came with a simple treble bleed on the master volume, I don't know about the Jet models.

My gripe with Pro Jets is the use of a B5 Bigsby on an arched top. The base is supposed to sit flat. On top of that, the break angle is too extreme, it creates tuning headaches with the TOM. Tension bar Bigsby's also add extra friction points, a B3 is what these guitars should and could come with provided a neck angle change. I sold off my 2006-sh Pro Jet because of the Bigsby and the dull Gretsch mini-buckers, which predated the release of the modern Blacktops. Blacktops for the win, though! People often replace the bridge with a solid bar bridge (Tru-arc) and get some TV Jones. I've been there and done that, but I eventually just got a reissue '53 Duo Jet that had everything I wanted in a Gretsch Jet. That type of Jet is not for everyone though, some folks think Jets are supposed to be some kind of Les Paul. That's blasphemy to me lol.

TL;DR--Play it, see if you like it, buy it if you do.

7. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

they are quite well built, I'd give it a try!

DADGAD likes this.
  8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

It's a pretty cool looking guitar! I'd love to own it.

My only problem would be that the Filtertrons that Gretsch makes don't sound like their old ones from the '60s. They don't have *that sound* ... like Brian Setzer's sound. TV Jones makes repro Gretsch pickups that really do nail the sound, so if you buy it, you might want to at some point replace the pickups.

9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Great bang for buck. Buy it! Play it first if you can.

DADGAD likes this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I'd buy it on looks alone. But then again, I'm fairly shallow.

MisterZ and Artslap like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The Electromatic Pro Jets are superb guitars. My main guitar is a black one. Those blacktop Filtertrons are great pickups also.

DADGAD likes this.
  12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Me likey. i still want a Gretsch. There are some pretty affordable good ones too.

DADGAD likes this.
  13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The only Gretsch I ever really wanted was '62 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. Unfortunately, they're going around 3K these days, and nowadays, I don't want any guitar that doesn't have a compound radius neck and stainless steel frets, so we're talking custom shop and maybe 5K or more. Sorry, Gretsch.

14. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

The answer to that question on Tdpri is almost always YES BUY IT.

I imagine it’s about $350 if that’s the used section. I’m not sure what else you have. Personally I’d hold out for a hollow body Gretsch. But if you don’t have anything humbuckery or Bigsby, go for it!

Dismalhead likes this.
  15. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, by all means play the guitar.

I have a 2015 G5620T-CB Electromatic. MIK, short-scale, thinline, semi-hollow, Bigsby, rosewood fretboard, fixed bridge. Maybe not the best comparison with the 54XX line? IDK. The 5620 plays, feels so nice; anymore it's my go-to guitar for standard & drop tunings @ gigs. It is heavy somewhere north o' 9 lbs. I swapped the stock pickups for Bill Lawrence L-90s - I liked the Gretsch pickups okay, but really love the L-90s which are dual-rail Alnico 5 humbuckers.

16. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Yep.

DADGAD likes this.
  17. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

bleh on the red and gold hardware, but you might get used to the narrow spaceing... I surely did and pick it up just for that reason. I love those fking guitars.

DADGAD likes this.
  18. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

er, spacing'
    I have the gold one with chrome hardware and it looks just like that (projet or something) hurts my head to look at Gretsche's model numbers...sorta like doing edits here for spellchecks.

19. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This thread has me looking at one of these..
    20190712_193736.jpg
    20190712_193809.jpg
    This is a G6131T-TVP Power Jet Firebird with Bigsby from 2016.....Mr Border Radio I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on these. The fellow who owns it tells me it weighs 6.7 lbs, it has the chambered body. It is a mahogany body with a maple cap...these are good looking guitars. And, I'm becoming addicted to TV Jones pups....like I need another addiction. At least the Gretsch should be gluten free!!!

RJ

Dan R, BorderRadio, Zepfan and 4 others like this.
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think the shop owner will let me take it for a test drive. I’ll go there tomorrow morning and will report back. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds through my 5E3.

rjtwangs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.