Should I buy this 77 Princeton

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MerleJam, Oct 15, 2018.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

What they said. If it were me, it would be very hard to resist. But I can also fix it. Still, if you know a good tech, I'd buy it and take it to the tech straightaway. Once the tech's through with it, you've got a great amp.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Where are you in Texas? If you're near Lubbock, take it over to @Wally 's Guitar Garage.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The key word here is "reasonable". Many see a vintage amp and double the price. At least that's been my experience.

schmee likes this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Offer $700 if not accepted, pay the full price. In a few more minutes, you might not even have a choice cause it will be sold.

Silverface likes this.
  5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

If you DON'T make the obvious choice, this will happen to you.

Get it. Fix it before you use it. Then love it up.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Seriously? Wow, I'd love to know which ones are "vintage gouging". I try to keep a list of better techs in major areas and others as I find them for referral purposes - any like that I'd want to immediately remove.

In most areas I'm aware of it's like here in LA - prices are mostly based on hourly rates plus parts cost, with many jobs losing money on the actual labor costs.

Vintage Fenders are almost like being on vacation because of the ease of service.

Wally likes this.
  7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That was my thought. Easy mode compared to most anything else out there.

Wally likes this.
  8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

I'd buy it... but then I'm capable of servicing it as well.

I paid more than that for my 1978 PR.

It had never been touched before I got it.

9. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Buy Now!

mgreene likes this.
  10. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

If they will come off the price for me just a tad I’ll try and get it. It truly was such a fun amp for the limited time I had. The DRRI sounded great. It just was so loud before it started to break up that I couldn’t use it in most places I’d be playing.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Dean Zink as he was matter of fact-ly and with no effort changing caps/tuning up a ‘57 Deluxe I found on CL :

“You gotta understand, this is like opening the hood on an old Dodge with a slant six motor - everything is just right there...”

Buy that amp MerleFan - like Mike Simpson said , you can “tune it” with your choice of speaker.

12. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

For comparison, I recently got a '73 PR from a guy off CL for $800. It had a few cosmetic changes (new hardware, a black-line faceplate, and replacement grill cloth.) It also needed a speaker, as it came with a cruddy one.

It was serviced some time ago and needed a new filter cap can and bias cap. I replaced both myself, and I had a 10" Weber Cali on hand, so repairs were not expensive. (That speaker sounds excellent BTW.) I feel I got a pretty good deal.

Considering that you're buying retail, IMO if you can get it for < $800, that's a good deal. Have someone qualified bring it up to spec for you and you'll have a great amp!

13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

They will deal at guitar center - or they always did in NY.

Make them give you $100 for repairs.

I bought my last PR with a howling tube for ~$800 - I wasnt concerned - but I do my own repairs.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Maybe I'm just out of touch with pricing but would you call $500 unreasonable to re-cap and 3-prong a '64 BF Champ? That's what I was quoted. The quote on similar work for my '73 SFPR was closer to $800 with new tubes.

This was from one of the "big names" in the Atlanta area but probably had referring store mark up attached. I have the name of someone else but this year's guitar gear budget sadly got spent on a new septic tank.

15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you could tell them that it is actually a 1979, or possibly even a 1980. Not that it makes a ton of difference, but you can see the serial number is A9xxxxx - the 9 indicated 1979. Also, the speaker code says 465-7951, meaning it's from the 51st week of 1979, pretty late in the year. Lastly, and this part I am not sure of, the black stamped number by the serial number (0870) might indicate it being built on the 7th week of 1980 - Fender did a weird reverse date thing in the late 70s on amp chassis.

Anyway, that info might be helpful in negotiating a slightly lower price.

16. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I know I'm cheaper than most techs (I think) but that seems outrageous. Power cord is $10, caps are $60ish, and 2 hours-ish labor.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^^Yep - those are crazy prices. In the $200’s +/- is what I pay for that kinda work.

18. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

My wife was born that year. I have no interest in guitars made in the late 70s, so I would definitely purchase a Sentimental amplifier from '77

I know that doesn't help the discussion but that's my answer.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sitting in a hotel in Burbank, so I just skimmed through.
    But I noticed the normal and completely ignorant thing about "it just needs tubes" from GC.
    This drives me NUTS !
    I can't count the times I've heard that from people in regards to amps over 30 years old !
    More often than not the tubes (some or all) still have life in them, unless some nitwit already changed um all out for some cheap new stuff.
    No doubt tubes can and do go bad! But Princetons often sat unused for years. That doesn't hurt a tube but it ain't exactly good for electroyltics, which regardless of use or nonuse don't last forever.

At any rate, as stated already, the amp WILL need to see a tech.
    Once it's running right you might find that OEM speaker isn't all bad. At least wait till then before you judge it.
    Weak filter caps sound a lot like a weak farty speaker.
    Before I serviced my own 64 PR I thought I'd be replacing it's nonoriginal farty CTS alnico. It's still in there.

Silverface likes this.
  20. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You might double check the return policy limitations...I've returned used gear to GC (in Texas), and they generally have a 30 day window (or did at one time).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.