Should I buy my first bass or my first tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by yundi, Jul 2, 2021.

Telecaster or Bass

1. Bass (Sire Marcus Miller)

2. Telecaster (Sq CV or Fender Player)

3. Get lessons and shut up

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

I already had Tele's when I decided I need a bass.
    I purchased a CV 60's P bass and a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp. Reasonable price good quality and sound great.
    You can always find a Tele to further your guitar playing, later.
    Enjoy your decision.

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Yes

3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

688F2F10-2797-472D-8438-FB637BAF368D.jpeg
    Bass. Actually this is my first Bass.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. comfortcove

comfortcove TDPRI Member

Someone once suggested "wacky backy is not your friend, is it?"

What kind of Teles are you looking at?

5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bass. I found learning bass improved my guitar playing and vice versa.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

This is true, and basically describes my own experience. I was a middling guitar player at best when I got asked to play bass in a work place band that somehow became entertaining and popular, working steadily for almost a decade. We had a lot of fun, played some amazing shows and parties, made some decent money.

But I never again played guitar with anyone on that particular scene. The downside to picking up bass for quick work (and then getting good at it) is that everyone will figure you got it covered. Your offers and requests to play some guitar will be seen as a nuisance.

And then, worst of all, after you’ve moved away from that scene you’ll still be a middling guitar player because you plowed all your time and effort into a different focus. Drilling down on one thing is the fastest way to get good at that thing.

That said, get a bass. I don’t regret it. I’ve since gotten happy with where I’m at on guitar (though still not great) and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for anything.

7. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I would say get the bass first. Learning and playing bass made me a better guitar player.

Kweber, Telecaster88 and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. oldjohn

oldjohn TDPRI Member

Tele and octave pedal :cool:

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. Atilla43

Atilla43 NEW MEMBER!

I love Tele's and own 3, but it's been a Jazz Bass that's paid the bills. A decent bass player with good equipment can always work. If you get the bass, be prepared to buy another amp, too. Do not put the bass in a guitar amp as you'll blow the speakers. Your choice.

10. commodorejohn

commodorejohn TDPRI Member

Bass. It's fun, it's good to build your sense of rhythm, and as an experienced guitarist you should already have a sense for the kind of chromatic/melodic invention that separates the really good bassists from the semi-competent beginner thumpers.

11. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Get the guitar.

There's more than enough guitarists attempting to play bass.

Seriously, how many of you 6 string fellas have the discipline to play root/5th for long periods without feeling the need to "switch it up" ;)

12. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I voted for bass, only because you don’t already have one and you have other guitars.

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

If you’re a good bass player you will work more. Having said that, buy a telecaster!

14. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

What do the folks on the bass forum think?

15. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Get the Tele, since you don't have one. Put the bass on your bucket list. I have a Yamaha bass and a small SWR bass amp, just for recording. I got tired of playing bass on a keyboard. IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1150 (2).JPG

16. Surf Green

Surf Green TDPRI Member

Get the Squier CV. I have three, a 50s, 60s and 72 tele custom - all different and all fantastic. The spare change from not buying the fender means it won't take as long to save up for the bass.

17. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

Get a dozen doughnuts

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Good bass players are hard to find an can be very imaginative musicians. You have a guitar, I'd be tempted to expand my musical knowledge. So, i'd say, bass.

19. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Bass guitar was my first instrument. I wasn't a frustrated guitarist, or got stuck with it, I was drawn to it. I became a guitar player - and a Tele aficionado - years later, so I've been torn between buying a bass or a Tele myself. The difference is; you don't have a bass, and you already have three guitars. :)

But if you choose to get a bass, then learn to play bass... as another forum member alluded; a bass is not just a big guitar, and you shouldn't approach it that way. You can always tell when the bass player in a band is a frustrated guitarist, or is just filling in. Because they play it like a guitar player, and they can't play without a pick.

I wouldn't go for a Sire, though. You can't go wrong with a Squier CV. The '70s P-bass is a frickin' boss, and I came very close to buying it myself, but I ended up building a P-bass instead (I built about half of the guitars and basses I currently own), but I would have been very happy with the Squier. I wouldn't have even changed the pickups.

But my top recommendation would be an SX bass from Rondo Music. I've owned a few of them, and I think they're as good as any Mexican Fender. I bought an SX Jazz (Ursa 2) about a year ago, and it's a fantastic bass. Ash body, bound neck with a gorgeous rosewood fretboard and block pearloid inlays. Fretwork is perfect. Usually I expect to have a couple of high frets on any import guitar, but I've never had to touch any SX bass (or guitar) that I've owned with a fret file. Plays awesome, and the stock pickups sound great. I have recorded with it, and I would gig with it if I had any gigs right now. And it only cost $230, plus shipping.

The bass selection at Rondo has been pretty sparse for a while, but they got some new inventory in recently. There's a lot of medium and short-scale basses too, which might be more comfortable for you to transition to from guitar.

https://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, the logic of learning to play bass in order to expand your musical knowledge may be all well and good, but this is a telecaster forum and I voted for getting a tele. Although if I were considering an Asian tele, I wouldn't go Squier, but Sire.

You're already considering the Sire brand, and they've got a tele model now, the T7 Larry Carlton model, sporting a roasted maple neck with rolled edges, 9.5" radius, alder body with gloss finish, and Sire proprietary pickups. They are incoming at Sweetwater, available to pre-order, and they go for just $599. There are four color options, shown below in my order of preference, 'cuz, well, I'm the one posting about them. :twisted:

Tobacco Sunburst
    [​IMG]

Antique white
    [​IMG]

Butterscotch Blonde (although to me that looks more straight up Butterscotch)
    [​IMG]

Fiesta Red (looks pretty much orange to me)
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.