Should i buy CUBE 40GX or BOSS KATANA 50?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarsdfghjkl, Nov 19, 2017.

which do you prefer??? (pls comment why)

Poll closed Nov 22, 2017.
  1. Boss Katana 50

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Cube 40GX

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. guitarsdfghjkl

guitarsdfghjkl TDPRI Member

i need advice on which to buy and pls tell me why you prefer your choice ty!!

2. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I have been gigging with the Katana 50 for over 6 months and no problems at all(I usually mic through PA systems). Most times I just use the 25w power setting, but it's plenty loud on 50w. I know a guy that gigs with the Cube and gets good results, but the Katana has a lot more tube amp feel in how it responds if that's any help.

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried the Katana in a store, and didn't care for it. I couldn't get a sound I liked with quite a bit of tweaking. This was with a Strat. It may do better with humbuckers. I've owned the GX40 in the past and liked it more than the Katana. I thought the JC120, BF, Vox, Tweed, and Marshall SL sounds were all quite good. The effects were only OK, but not great. I've read that the Katana needs to be tweaked hooked up to a computer to bring out the best in it, similar to the Mustang V2 series from Fender.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd prefer the Cube.
    They are more intuitive to use, and have a tuner.
    I wish Roland/Boss had include a tuner and looper in the Katana line.
    I also wish they'd kept the closed back cabinet.
    The GX series also lacks the looper.
    I'd gently suggest you look for an XL series Cube.
    Perfect "one stop shopping" IMO.

5. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Looking for a new amp I take my own guitar to the store and test them. Usually with multiple different guitars. Then I pick whichever gives me the best sound with least hassle.

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I prefer the Katana to the Cube, much more versatile. I've had mine about a year now, with the firmware updates it just gets better.

Bobbyoso likes this.
  7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I currently own a Katana 50 and have also owned a Roland Cube 30X. I originally bought the Katana to use with a Trio pedal, for clean amplification of the drum and bass tracks. I have never hooked the amp up to my computer, I just plug it in and turn the knobs. I have been impressed enough with the Katana, that I use it a lot (i own 6 tube amps).

Although the KTN50 doesn't model specific amps, I was quickly able to dial-in a clean sound, similar to a Tweed Bassman, and a Marshall like, over driven sound. These are my two main sounds. I know in my head how I want them to sound. Surprisingly, I was able to dial-in some really good surf guitar sounds. Better than my tube amps. If you look on u-tube, you can find where people do comparisons to other popular Fender, Vox and Marshall amps.

The thing that I didn't like about my Roland Cube, was the way that distorted sounds would die out. Some call it digital artifacts. The Katana works and sounds more like a traditional tube amp, to me. I also like the on-board effects. I normally use a MFX pedal with my amps. I have found that I can live with Katana effects, although some do sound better with my MFX pedal.

The Katana 50 has a .5, 25 and 50 watt settings. The 25 watt setting is much loader than the Cube 30X. It could actually be used at gig and practice volumes, with a Drummer.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I had both at the same time and both sound great . I sold the Katana 50 last week .
    I thought my 40GX sounded better but the big issue to me was that it has control knobs .
    The Katana has push buttons and each one changes color three times ! My mind is easily scrambled by having to stop and look at the color chart to figure out the effects .

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

Try to find a Cube 80XL
    Enough volume for any gig,
    I bought 3 fs6 dual footswitches for it to access all the effects.tie-wrapped 3 15 ft TRS cables together for the footswitches
    The FS-6 footswitches actually slide together to create a small pedal board.
    I also use a 112 open back extension cab with it sometimes.
    Probably the best version of the cube for gigging

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Why of course... Boss Katana 50 of course. If you're gigging and can str6it some more, get the 100. The 50 is still fine though.

You can tweak your tone on your computer and choose a simulation of your favorite amp and cab configuration.

Another option: Boss GT-1 or GT-100, through a Power Amp and through a PA speaker or guitar cab.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Without knowing the OP's needs, it's just a shot in the dark... Flip a coin...

OP - Are you playing home or out? What kinds of tones do you want? Pedals?

More info, please...

12. guitarsdfghjkl

guitarsdfghjkl TDPRI Member

More of home

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Try both and buy the one YOU like best.

tery likes this.
  14. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I'm a long time owner of a Micro Cube and a Cube 80X, tried the Katana in a store. I think both sound fine and it's a matter of features and how the user interface works for you. I know I wouldn't sell my Cubes to get a Katana. A while ago I posed a question here whether Katana is more or less just repackaging the Cube. Anyway they are a lot alike. You could probably get a good deal on a used Cube.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.