Should I buy a vintage BF Twin Reverb...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by AlbertaGriff, May 27, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I don't mind the VC. Good cleans at low volume. I just prefer all my other amps over it

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. jamar56

jamar56 TDPRI Member

If the amp is ok, you like to drag this beast with you, visit your physio therapist frequently and enjoy to drive your band members and sound engineers crazy, then buy it.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Or do what the rest of us do - play the thing at home without any problems and enjoy the sweet sounds that come out of the amp.

4. jamar56

jamar56 TDPRI Member

Amen to that

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

colchar likes this.
  5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Screw that: knock airplanes out of the sky with it. Detach retinas and fuse hydrogen nuclei with it

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Just piling on . . . but $750 for a good condition vintage BF Twin is a no-brainer even in today's market. Provided you have the room to play it in, Twins make more sense as a play at home amp than a gigging amp.

Great find -- let us know how it sounds when you finally get a chance to pick it up!

gridlock and AlbertaGriff like this.
  7. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I have hardly played lately (too busy, too tired, etc.) but this thread has inspired me to plug into my Twin tonight.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

If some of us are willing to carry the weight , why should volume be a problem ?
    They have knobs you know...?
    All of my BF and SF Fenders sound great at low volume , I dont get it...?

Telecastoff1 and colchar like this.
  9. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

That's a good price. All of the positive comments are true. I love the old Fender amps -- I have a 64 Vibrochamp, a 68 silverface Princeton Reverb, and a 64 Deluxe non-reverb. Any of the old amps may require service -- worth it for me but something to remember. If you are not playing out I think you would be happier with any of the above for the same vibe and satisfaction of enjoying a vintage Fender. I would consider an early Silverface to save money. The blackface VC are attainable at reasonable prices and these are fantastic for playing at home at reasonable volumes. You would probably most enjoy a Princeton Reverb in my opinion. I gig with the PR and Deluxe but the Deluxe is getting most gigs. Onboard reverb is no big deal for me because I use a pedal, but it is nice for playing at home. I'm not saying don't buy it -- it is right there for a good price. If you do, I would consider using an attenuator -- I use a Dr. Z Brake-Lite with my Deluxe but the Twin would require the larger model.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I just finished up a 2 hour practice session and I am declaring the Twin Reverb to be the ideal home amplifier...there done it. It just sounds so great even at lower volumes that it just makes sense to own one. I would choose something far lighter for using outside the home, but in a home or studio....can't find a flaw to it. The only thing better might be a low powered Twin, but you can always pull 2 power tubes and run a single 12" if you want to get that. If you are strictly an over-drive guy, maybe a champ still rules the day, but for those that are more clean players the Twin really is ideal in the home. Serously, my Twin at 4 with the guitar volume rolled off gave me better tone at lower volume levels than my Blues Jr. could do....wasn't even close.

There, I said it and I stand by it. Vibro-champs are selling for upwards to near $700 these days which is the same price as a SilverFace Twin!! No doubt about it, buy a Twin instead.

Telecastoff1, colchar, BobbyZ and 2 others like this.
  11. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I've seen many Twin owners say their amp sounds great at low volume anytime this comes up. I've never owned one so I can't say. My smaller amps sound better when cranked a bit but they still sound fine down low. When these amps were designed they were intended to be used at lower volumes -- distortion was not the desired outcome back then.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Milspec likes this.
  12. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

The clean, vibrato sound of my 64 blackface twin is impossible for me to recreate - exactly, or to the same effect - any other way. It sounds amazing.
    The amp also sounds amazing cranked (which I can enjoy on old recordings only; my current studio space is impractical for that kind of sound level)).
    This is why I've never been able to bring myself to sell it. And now I have a new impediment: while I've been vacillating, its value has gone from 4k to 2k to 1600 to who-knows-what, now that we have a thread where people are seriously debating the wisdom of buying a blackface twin for $750.
    Buy it))

colchar likes this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

See that's the thing for me, the smaller amps don't open up until you raise the volume while a Twin is open from the start. You just can't get that thick clean tone on smaller amps without pushing them. The guitar players of today have been posioned with all this legend that a Twin can't be a home amp because it would be way too loud at settings needed to get a good tone. Maybe it was started by people that were all selling 5w amps as the perfect amp, but all that I know is that it was lie. Now, trying to drag a Twin around to gig with is not an ideal situation and it would certainly not be my choice for that usage....go with a Deluxe or Vibrolux for that...but a Twin is right at home as a player's amp.

14. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I agree. I get a lot of joy from owning and playing my old Fender amps. This is a gift. Don't let it go!

15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

It seems like the seller and I have a basic agreement, just need to find the time to meet.

BobbyZ, Lawdawg and teletimetx like this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

5 hours can be a long drive, I used to pull the old drive straight through on 12 hour R/T outings, but not any longer. Six hours is my max effort on a day before I start to feel miserable. I would drive up, make the deal, get a hotel for the night, and drive it back on day 2. No reason to be miserable, enjoy the trip, have a nice dinner and a few drinks before coming back.

gridlock and Piggy Stu like this.
  17. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i would wait for an all original one for a thousand dollars. then theres a chance of it having vintage value later.
    $600 would be better for the re tolexed one. if it runs good you would be getting a 4 power tube hand wired amp for not a ton of money. my 2 cents

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.