Should I buy a vintage BF Twin Reverb...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by AlbertaGriff, May 27, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

sure...get the amp that delivers the goods you need...weight..watts..price,...ect..has nothing to do with tone....if that is the specific tone ya need..get it !! and then play..

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Another way to look at it, is replacement costs. A new 65 BFTRRI is around $1600, but not PTP, and has semiconductors? To rewire it PTP, could run $500. A new BFTR replica is going to be north of $2000 (Victoria?). Having $1000 in a vintage PTP sounds like a bargain.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

One of the greatest amps of all time IMO. Sounds great at home practice volume, great at stage volume.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

A BF Twin used to bring good money around here, but they are really hard to sell at this point. Not usable on stage in the current era when sound guys think they should run the show. A lot of venues don't even want a Deluxe Reverb on the band stand! I love big transformers and 6L6's myself, but I don't make the market. The 65 BF Twin I recently sold for $600.00 would have brought $1500.00 5 years ago, but not now.

gridlock likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. Then have it properly serviced and smile every time you plug it in. And if you find a couple of JBL D-120's to put in it, so much the better.

gridlock and dan1952 like this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Mine, pictured above sold close to 2k, almost mint condition and original, except for 3-prong plug and new filter caps. Guess a little better market in Florida VS Indiana.

I sold the BF Twin and bought a BF Super Reverb, I prefer the sag from the tube rectifier in the Super.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

It has EVM-12L's in it right now.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

My friend, you just bought this amplifier.

Those EVs are worth half of what you’re paying for the amp.

Telecastoff1, BobbyZ, Wally and 3 others like this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Yeah thats kinda what I've been seeing.

BobbyZ, Milspec and gridlock like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

If I was in Canada, I’d probably buy it, play it, and sell it later. You could probably still sell it down the road, and at a decent profit, if you decide it’s not for you.

Milspec and AlbertaGriff like this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

There was a time when I would've agreed with some of the negative comments here.
    That was before I got the '65 and '76 Twins I have now.
    If I had to go to a desert island with one amp it wouldn't be my BFDR. (should plug that damned thing in and see if it still works)

12. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

If you've never had the experience of owning one then definitely get it. They are wonderful amps...and yes all the comments about weight, huge headroom (i.e. lousy overdrive), and huge volume are legit.

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

They aren't that bad. I am exclusively a home player and I have a Twin. Then again, my other amp is a JCM800 2203 so I am used to using loud amps at home.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Despite all the claims to the contrary, there are a lot of home players sporting a Twin these days. It is easy to believe the negatives until you actually buy a Twin and try it, then you realize that it was all BS. A Twin sounds great even as low as 2 on the dial which is no louder than a 5w amp cranked up to the sweet spot.

65 Champ Amp, middy, BobbyZ and 2 others like this.
  15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

All the rational people in here are forgetting that sometimes in life you just need to buy an aircraft carrier when it sails into view, because it is there

draggindakota, colchar and BobbyZ like this.
  16. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

A Twin is not a home players amp... hmm. Should've told my dad that, he played one at home, in the living room for almost 50 years. Heavy? Compared to what? It weighs less than a lot of Marshalls, Ampegs, and countless other amps. As near as I can tell the only drawback to a Twin Reverb is it takes four 6L6 tubes instead of two, but you can run it on 2 just fine... if that's your choice. Some say disconnect one speaker, you can. But you can leave both and the mismatch won't hurt a thing.

It was the flagship of the Fender line. It is the industry standard by which ALL other amps are judged. It has been used for EVERY style of music and is THE amp of choice for most country and jazz players, as well as a lot of blues and rock players.

you know what Twin Reverb is that no other amp is? The true voice of the electric guitar. It has the power and controls to allow any guitar to sound like itself without coloration or distortion.

$750 for a working blackface combo is a steal. You could part it out and make money.

65 Champ Amp, middy, Lawdawg and 5 others like this.
  17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

And they sound far better at low volume than any five or ten watt amp I have ever heard (except for vintage amps like Champs, etc.).

I suspect that many who claim you cannot play a Twin at home have never actually owned one. But those of us who do say that it can be done, and that it sounds glorious. Mine is a reissue and I wouldn't replace it, except with a vintage one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

And if you are like me (and perhaps your Dad too), then you put the amp in one place in the room and there it stays like a piece of furniture so who cares about the weight? A couch is heavy too, but how often do you actually have to move one?

middy, Rumblur and Milspec like this.
  19. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Weight is not really a factor if it remains parked in one spot ... Like a piano ...

middy likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a big iron Fender backline is the glory of God

middy, colchar and dragonfly66 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.