Should I buy a lottery ticket?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Jun 17, 2021.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ms. Nutz came home from a walk to find a van in our driveway, our back gate open, and a man sitting on our deck. She asked if she could help him and he said, "Nope, all good. I just finished cleaning your gutters!"

Now, we had been talking about having someone do it this year as to prevent Old Man Nutz (me) from climbing the 28' foot ladder, but she said to him, "I didn't know my husband had called someone!?"

"Is your name Susan (not real)?" he asked.

"Nope, she lives next door."

"Well, chit; I just cleaned the wrong house! This is only my third week on the job! Is your address 1102?"

"Yup."

He calls the company, and it turns out they had given him the wrong address; Susan's is 1100. I felt bad for him, but my wife assured me that the company felt bad about screwing up, and she could hear them laughing on the phone. She didn't have any cash on hand, or she would have given him something for his efforts.

Now if only I could get someone to peel the paint off of the last side that I have to do this summer ...

Edited to add that she went to the ATM and gave him $40.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

You’re nutz if you don’t.

unixfish and P-Nutz like this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Yup...buy two, they are small---as a winner, you may have the paint stripped, new siding installed, or move to a new house at your leisure. Congrats on getting your gutters cleaned...I need to get up there and brush mine off (screens).

P-Nutz likes this.
  4. P-Nutz

We live in a 100+ year-old house, and about 10 or so years ago decided to take it down to the wood and repaint it. SO, off came 100+ years of paint with a heat gun (about five layers) and we are finally on the last side. It's a slow process, but it looks great, and we'll never have to do it again. I want to finish it because I started it. The painting goes quickly; each side takes about a summer to strip (the front took two because of the detail), then we let it weather over winter, then sanding, caulking and painting can be done the next summer in a week or so. Here's a coupla pics before and after:

pic 1.jpg pic 2.jpg

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Good for you mate. You'll receive happy points in your life register for this! I love it when things like this happen. I do not do 28 feet on a ladder anymore unless I have no other choice. Just not worth it. Would rather have someone else do it, pay them well, and sip on a cocktail while I watch em ;)

6. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Would not but a lottery ticket, you already used your good fortune for the day.....

Nightclub Dwight and P-Nutz like this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

NO. Send me whatever a ticket costs. I'll make better use of it. Like pay for lunch, or whatever.

P-Nutz likes this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

What color(s) was it before?

9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All’s swell that ends swell!
    ;)

yeah, I know better

P-Nutz likes this.
  11. P-Nutz

Those ARE the colors we painted it ... :cool:

drf64 likes this.
  12. P-Nutz

It was a washed out greenish-yellowish color. When we bought it 24 years ago (moved in on Nutz the Younger's first birthday, which is today!) it had to be painted immediately before we could close, so we hired some dude who did the whole thing for $2K in about two days. Didn't scrape or anything. It wasn't horrible looking, but after about 15 years it was time. We didn't want to side it, as we live in an historic neighborhood, and, as a former house painter (among other things) I find most siding to be garbage, so we just decided to do it ourselves.

It's funny; I grew up super poor with a father who worked full time but did absolutely nothing around the house. I have learned to plumb, install drywall, tiling, minor electrical, etc. all from just being a homeowner over the last 40 years or so. The key is having patience and the right tools, which I now own, and many of which I've only used once or twice. Our neighborhood is undergoing its next wave of new homeowners (with young kids) in houses, and I have been giving away my tools to them so they can work on their own places and pass it on. It's a pretty dern cool neighborhood, and we are now the old folks ...

13. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

I guess its a nice gesture to give him some money, but he will still be compensated by the company.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m retired now and that brings changes. I’m paying people to do things around the house that I can no longer do safely or well. And I’m doing more around the house than I ever did now that I have time to do it right. No more taking a rattle can to the outdoor furniture. This year I power washed it, stripped it, sanded it, primed it, painted it, sanded it and painted it again.

Regarding lottery tickets, the lottery is just a tax on stupid. Save your money or buy a latte.

Nightclub Dwight and Archtops like this.
  15. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Please tell me you didn't paint that 100 year old historic home purple and green!

P-Nutz likes this.
  16. P-Nutz

Absolutely we did; (almost) every square inch of it! It reminds us of wine country in France, which makes us happy!

1B1C0791-85D1-434F-81DE-18C69C79310E.jpeg

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I love the color scheme. It looks a happy place to me.

Blackmore Fan and P-Nutz like this.
  18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Irish Travelers. trying to establish a relationship with you. tell them you'll call the cops if they ever come back. write down their license plate #s.

P-Nutz likes this.
  19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

taxes are taken...when you buy a lottery ticket you willingly made a purchase

20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

Our state pushes the mantra that the lottery "benefits education". My response has always been that if the education were working, the students would grow up understanding basic math and never purchase a lottery ticket.

Congrats on your gutters!

P-Nutz, JL_LI and Nightclub Dwight like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.