Should I buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose/locking tremolo?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cntry666, Dec 14, 2018.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I’m in the market for a new guitar, would like to buy a Jackson or Ibanez type. I already own teles and Les Pauls. I have not owned a locking trem guitar since the 90’s and I’m wondering if it’s just going to be a pain. Do I try and find one with a hard tail bridge? They do make hard tails in the models I’m looking at. I’d like to know what everyone’s thoughts are on it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

fendertx likes this.
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Charvel San Dimas HH HT, May be what you are looking for in a hard tail.

Personally I like Floyd’s, and prefer them greatly to strat type tremolos.

Another excellent floyd equipped guitar is the Jackson SLX4, there are others in the SLX line.

I haven’t had an Ibanez with a Floyd for a long time but I have a hard tail Destroyer, and good luck finding one of them.

Antmax likes this.
  3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's nice to have a Floyd set up, especially if you have Tele's and Pauls already covered.
    I have 79 Strat with a Flowd and an 80"s Dimarzio bucker installed. Fun guitar, and the Floyd is really no trouble once you tinker with them a bit.
    Best neck I recall owning was on a Charvel Model 1 with a Kahler bridge.

Go for it!

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If a player needs to do what any certain vibrato bridged guitar demos, then that guitarist needs that tool. If one doesn’t have a purpose for a vibrato bridge, one does better to avoid them.

5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

If you've owned a Floyd Rose equipped guitar before you might remember what a challenge setting up and restringing one can be. Unless you're into Steve Vai/Dimebag Darrel style acrobatics then I kind of don't see them as worth the trouble.

6. problem-child

problem-child TDPRI Member

I vote for the Ibanez. Great feel. I also have a Charvel San Dimas which is great. On the other hand I have an EVH 5150 Striped that I feel zero love for. Not all Floyds are created equal.

image7.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  7. Cellordin

Cellordin TDPRI Member

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Floyds are a PITA. I avoid them. I don't do any whammy stuff and only string bends so I don't miss them.

9. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I like floyds, my regular strat is decked, my Ibanez and PRS CU24 Floyd rose are both floating. For me, the biggest problem I have with shred guitars is the necks are often too thin which makes my hands fatigue quickly. I play the PRS floyd with it's wide fat neck more because of this. I do like chunky frets and floyds though, both can be played with a lighter touch than I'm used to with my other guitars.

10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was an Ibanez RG470. Apart from the skinny'ish neck, I love that guitar, despite supposedly having the not so good floyd rose version or pickups. I have never ever had issues with the tremolo with it, Im not in to that sort of music so much anymore (Bush, Rage against the Machine etc) but when I was learning and the first 7-8 years of my guitar life, played that music ALOT!........in fact i feel a bit of a renaissance building probably to hit mid next year (my wife WILL be pleased :) )

It still remains my favourite trem for feel, lack of play in the movement etc. with the firebird vii lyre next on the list and jag/jazzmaster after that, in fact the strat is deadlast by a long shot....how did Jimi ever manage!!!.

While I rarely use it anymore I still do occasionally for nostalgia mostly, and love the trem still. Maybe becasue it was my first guitar, I never found the restringing to be that big a deal.

Its a tool with a unique ability to stay in tune after considerable use, it has a requirement to be strung a certain way...it is what it is. Sure it takes about twice as long to do but we're still only talking 5-10 minutes.....first world problems :)

I say go for it.

on a side note, I would really like to find a replacmeent Ibanez neck with a bit more beef to it...any suggestions?

11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I d love to get one. I m pretty sure i d have a hard time changing strings though, since i already have a hard time with the hard tail guitars. But it must be so much fun !

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Once they are set up properly and you keep the same gauge of strings all the time they're not so bad, biggest problem I have with them is that the other strings go flat when you bend one, bloody useless for bluesy/stones/country licks but I guess you won't be playing too many of them on this guitar!

13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have one on my Ibanez JS1200. I don't ever use it (I don't even put the arm in), but I've had this guitar for about 8 years and never had any issues with it (stays dead in tune for months). I'd love to have one of the JS1600s (the hardtail version) if I could get it, but they're rare, so since I love this guitar to death, I just deal with the tremolo that I never use.

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but all tremolos have this issue (my Strat, for instance, is HORRIBLE about the other notes going flat when I bend one). I don't find the floating tremolo to be any worse or better in that respect. And players like Satriani and Vai do A LOT of bending, so you absolutely can do it on these types of guitars. Anything you can do on a Strat, you can do on a super-strat!

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

doesn't that happen with any trem guitar?

16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes, they are fun, for me its really about the guitar and the Japan Ibanez have incredible necks and fill the slight need just a lil dif from my Gibsons. Also once locked in..they stay in tune no matter how hard you play em. Any genre can be played..those Ibanez & jackson's will give any guitar a run...my Ibanez out strats my strat so the Am strats are gone..

jman72 likes this.
  17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

In my experience not anywhere near as bad as on a Floyd Rose type trem, I usually do have my 'Strat' style trems pretty well hardtailed but not so much that you can't use them, the Floyd system just seems a bit more prone to it than others I've had experience with.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Got an Ibanez RGT with a chunky through neck that is a lot of fun. It was a wreck when I got it but I fixed it up. Neck is almost Gibson like.

My S series has a much thinner neck but a really slick trem system with an adjustable tremsetter/tensioner on the back to speed up tuning and adjust the feel. ZR system I think it's called with a ball bearing pivot.

Gotta own at least one if you cover any Van Halen or Satriani type stuff.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Plenty of guitarists have used whammy bars through the years, don't have to do a lot of acrobats with it to have some fun. A Tremolo is a Tremolo, you decide how to use it and not one type is only for shredding or rockabilly. Any trem can be used to play any style.

I never had a Floyd because I heard too many complaints about problems, but that was around the time of the first model to come out. I used a Kahler on my guitar back in the day and it performed flawlessly for me, others may complain about their's.

Honestly trems get a bad rap from people that just don't know how to set them up properly and don't know how to use them properly for the most part. The vintage style Strat trem works great when set up right. It may take a while to get it right, but it can be done.

20. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Most players who dislike Floyd type trem's don't know how to properly set them up. or don't have the patience to do it.

Also they're for a specific type of music. Not country, jazz, ect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.