Should I buy a Fender Champion 40?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by VerySlowHand, Feb 5, 2016.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Getting back into electric (Baja Tele), please convince me to buy this amp and that I don't need to spend double / triple.

It's inexpensive and from what I hear, the voices are the same as those in the SCXD (which I used to own), although not as many.

It's for practice only... I have no neighbors and I like a big speaker. I want my effects (mainly reverb, delay and 'light dirt') and backing tracks to go into a Ditto X2 looper, so I'm not really looking for a modelling amp. I want the AUX IN for backing tracks and a headphone socket for when my wife and dog are suffering too much.

I like to play Stones, southern rock, Hendrix (yeah... who am I kidding!), and indie stuff. So I like cleans that are 'just getting dirty'.

I'm also considering a Mustang II V2 (similar price - would set it up for Fender cleans), a Blackstar H-T5R (3x the price, simple, like it, used to own one) and a Blackstar ID:30TVP (twice the price - would also set it up for Fender cleans).

Final thing - does it suffer from digital decay? That's the only thing that's putting me off a solid state amp.

Thanks.

2. bunny 7

bunny 7 Tele-Holic

I'd probably buy that for the reasons you've listed.
    I like the simpler interface vs the Mustang.
    I just want to plug in and play, maybe a little reverb.
    I used one to test a guitar at GC. with, sounds Fender enough and it's affordable.
    If it suffices your needs, I'd get it.
    Have fun on your search.

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

It doesn't have any noticeable latency from my experience.

I'm not a big fan of the Champion 40 but it does have some decent features including the simple operating controls and very useable effects.

I recently used one at a band rehearsal and it did have a decent blackface vibe on channel one. I was surprised that I had to run it at 7--my personal rehearsal amps are an Excelsior and a Ramparte which are 13 and 9 watts, respectively. I'm sure that some of the volume disparity has to do with the speaker efficiency. But it sounded fine in the band mix.

4. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I like the champion series. Ive got the 100, but ive heard the 40 and its good, esp for the money. Its super simple to use. Some people like the mustangs, but seeing as i likely would never use fuse, and would rather read words than look at colored lights when changing settings, I'd pick the champion every time

5. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Find a used Super Champ X2. I found one for $179

6. rave

rave Tele-Holic

I have a champion 20 for practice. I got it because I mostly play clean and wanted to play more and fiddle less. It is a good practice amp. I would look to either this or a Roland cube in the low fiddling categories. Good luck

7. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

I'm also looking for a home practice amp. I have a Cube 80XL and was hoping to find a Cube 20XL, but seem to be pretty rare here in the UK.
    I thought a Champion 20 or Mustang 1 v2, but doubt I'd use fuse online trickery.
    Size is important as I want it in the corner of the lounge where swmbo won't trip over it.

8. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I had a Cube a few years ago. I found it sounded too digital.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

FUSE ONLINE TRICKERY ? I don' know, I've used FUSE for almost 2 years and it hasn't tricked me yet........ I refuse to let it pull a fast one...that must be it. :idea:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.